• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Funny, about a month ago I read about this and saw the pics on the NASA website that it would be October 16. They were not sure if it was a brown dwarf star or an asteroid on the website. As a brown dwarf star, it would trigger massive volcanic and earthquake activity as it neared our planet.

It entered our solar system last March and has been slung out from the Sun toward Earth.

Has anybody heard of any volcanic or earthquake activity lately?

I think I will have another drink

PastorBlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    Wabash
    I'm sure there's some kind of Heaven's Gate/Hale Bopp cult out there just ready to drink the arsenic laced KoolAid on this one as well

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    NO 8th after 4pm... Got it.

I need to go out and see if I can see it!

I doubt it with the naked eye, but who knows. It should be easy to see an aircraft-carrier sized object that's 200,000 miles away, right? heh.

-J-

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    sloughfoot said:
    Funny, about a month ago I read about this and saw the pics on the NASA website that it would be October 16. They were not sure if it was a brown dwarf star or an asteroid on the website. As a brown dwarf star, it would trigger massive volcanic and earthquake activity as it neared our planet.

It entered our solar system last March and has been slung out from the Sun toward Earth.

Has anybody heard of any volcanic or earthquake activity lately?

NASA said:
    The trajectory of asteroid 2005 YU55 is well understood. At the point of closest approach, it will be no closer than 201,700 miles (324,600 kilometers) or 0.85 the distance from the moon to Earth. The gravitational influence of the asteroid will have no detectable effect on anything here on Earth, including our planet's tides or tectonic plates.

NO 8th after 4pm... Got it.

I need to go out and see if I can see it!

I doubt it with the naked eye, but who knows. It should be easy to see an aircraft-carrier sized object that's 200,000 miles away, right? heh.

-J-

NASA said:
    During the close approach, the asteroid should reach about apparent magnitude 11, and may be visible to expert observers using high-end binoculars with an objective lens of 80mm or larger. Since the gibbous moon will interfere with the viewing, amateur observers trying to visually locate the asteroid will want to use a telescope with an aperture of 6 inches (15 centimeters) or larger.

It's also going to be a daytime event, which means it will be virtually impossible to see until at least 2100Z.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    yeah, nothing I have will magnify that well.

Best I can do is a 67mm objective on a 400mm camera lens + a 1.5 converter

*sigh*

Top Bottom