• ...and so much more!
  • gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ... Not quite sure I understand why, but using that rear pinhole sight to look through at the red dot is as sharp...

Same reason people squint to see better. A small aperture provides greater depth of field.

Shooters have been using these (or similar) stick on apertures for decades to improve their sight picture.

Even in my youth, I experimented with a small hole in a piece of electrical tape stuck on my glasses for pistol bullseye shooting.

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    I also am one of the lucky ones with astigmatism. I'm kind of used to having even a really good red dot looking fuzzy/star-like after years of not getting a really sharp image from them. Then by chance I noticed on my new rifle that when I flipped up the rear peep sight, the red dot got SUPER clear. Not quite sure I understand why, but using that rear pinhole sight to look through at the red dot is as sharp without my glasses as it is with them.

Don't know if that's an option for ya, OP, but I'd definitely recommend giving something like that a try if you can. :twocents:

Now that you mention it, I noticed this on one of my non-magnified red dots, as well. It is similar to the shutter on a camera, the smaller the aperture (not shutter speed), the greater the depth of field and it limits the light getting to your eye which can avoid some of the effects of the astigmatism.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    Not all RDS are created equal. I have Aimpoint PRO, Burris FF3, Vortex Venom, Trijicon RMR.

Some are better indoors, some are better outdoor, low light, etc.

But THE absolutely best one fits my eyes is the new Vortex Viper.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I'm old and have the 'stigmatism ..... and like some others, the Vortex Spitfire works really great for me.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Another member mentioned using polorized glasses will help. It works for me. It's still not as clear as a prizim sight but much better.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    While cleaning my AR with a TRS-25 on it, I tried putting the rear peep sight up to see how it affected the dot. Wow. It's hard to believe how sharp it is looking through the peep sight.

Last edited:

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    While cleaning my AR with a TRS-25 on it, I tried putting the rear peep sight to see how it affected the dot. Wow. It's hard to believe how sharp it is looking through the peep sight.

See?? Told ya!!

Oh, and I asked my eye doctor when I was in the other day--she said it's the same reason that people squint...smaller apertures limit the amount of (extra) light hitting your eye, and make the image more clear. :twocents:

Spaceman Spiff

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2017
    Henderson
    I have astigmatism pretty bad in my right eye, but only minor in my left. I've found that a sharp red dot in the left eye will be blurry in the right. I'm okay using them out to about 25 yards. After that it is pointless, the dot obscures too much of the target (like completely hiding most of an 8" target at 40 yards). I've looked at high end models on display in stores, same as the cheapos.

I'm okay with prism sights. I'm thinking of putting one on a bolt gun (even though meant for ARs, but it is a 5.56 bolt gun). The prism sights can be used without batteries or illumination (due to the etched reticle).

x72821

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2017
    Bloomington
    Same here, but the one optic that I can't use without my glasses is the leupold deltapoints. They just wont stay in focus without the glasses

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Same problem here. I can use red dots if I had to. I stuck a 3-9x50 on my AR. The 50mm gives a wide field of view and can shoot both eyes open up close easy. Then dial up for distance. Only probe is putting a black reticle on a black hog in the woods. Had to find horizon drop down on hog and pinch. It works but some illumination would be nice.

Prism sights I see ok but have yet to find one with a nice small clean looking reticle. Too busy and covers too much target.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    I'll EDIT: I saw 3 other people with the same complaints that I had with the quality. Those people were being fed the same BS that I was.

Eyeglass world?

Yup for me! They sell a frame, I get the top of the line poly lenses and can't read fine print without taking the damn things off !! Had a second exam which brought my distance vision clear and they told me this is the last time to resolve any issues. I'm thinking small claims court is in their future!

x72821

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2017
    Bloomington
    I have an astigmatism and here is what I have found. My EOTECH, LEUPOLD Deltapoint red dots are both very blurry, but I find the Trijicon to be clear as well as the vortex. Not sure how they are different but the first are annoying and the later work great.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I have an astigmatism and here is what I have found. My EOTECH, LEUPOLD Deltapoint red dots are both very blurry, but I find the Trijicon to be clear as well as the vortex. Not sure how they are different but the first are annoying and the later work great.

Everyone's eyes are completely diffrent. You are just as likely to find someone saying the exact opposite

Top Bottom