• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    I was in the Cabela's in Hammond today and the guy who was assisting me was a very good help, but that is not the point of the post.

He asked the guy ahead of me what was his state of residence and when the guy said Illinois the sales guy would not show him any guns without it. He said "We have to abide by Illinois law"

I was thinking "WHAT?"

Last time I checked you abide by the law of the state you are in. Besides I could be from Tennessee and have them ship a gun of my choice to an FFL dealer in my home state regardless if I have a permit or licence or not. (I may get rejected in my home state to leave the store with it)

Am I wrong here or something? or are they just portraying store policy as law?

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    It might have to do something with Illinois forgetting our constitution and requiring a Firearm Owner's IDentification Card (FOID). Did the guy from Illinois produce his FOID?

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Yeah, the screwballs behind the counter seem to come up with new rules every week.

Just because they are on the other side of the counter, doesn't make them right.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    My cousin lives in IL and he bought a Rem 700 there, he just had to wait the 24 hours. I believe handguns are the issue. I thought they would ship to an FFL, or at least to the IL Cabela's. I never heard of them not showing guns though. They have always asked for state of residents come to think of it.

Last time I checked you abide by the law of the state you are in. Besides I could be from Tennessee and have them ship a gun of my choice to an FFL dealer in my home state regardless if I have a permit or licence or not. (I may get rejected in my home state to leave the store with it)

They abide by the state laws of the state of your residents, hence the 24 hour wait.

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    :bs: I'll never be convinced to ever set foot in that place ever again....applicable law or not. Too many other smaller, privately owned good-guy gun shops that need our business, than to feed that Cabella monster. Seems the bigger a place like that gets, the worse overall the majority of the customers' experiences seem to get....

Of course, this is just my humble opinion and others' results may very. :twocents:

Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    Yeah, the screwballs behind the counter seem to come up with new rules every week.

Just because they are on the other side of the counter, doesn't make them right.
    The guy behind the counter wasn't a screwball and I am not going to blame the guy for following company policy. The guy who helped me was from Illinois as well (Mike) he was very level headed.

He was very knowledgeable as well. Although I didn't buy today but in my mind he moved me from a Beretta PX4 Storm in 45 to the Kimber Super Carry Ultra+.

It was the first time in a long time I have enjoyed beginning the search for a new gun where the sales guy wasn't pushy, showed me some option and was not belittling. He knew I wasn't buying today and he gave me a Kimber brochure with some of the models I looked at circled.

I can say I enjoyed myself and it would make me consider buying the Gun there instead of Buds which in this case was only a $50 difference when you too the FFL transfer fee into play.

Now if any of the local guys want to give me a price against Calbela's I'm listening. One of our churches from Pennsylvania is cutting me a check in March to buy my next gun so I am buying.

You can email me directly and all prices are confidential on the Kimber.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Can't sell a handgun but he can show him one. Mr Salesman probably just thought it would be a waste of his time.

Last edited:

Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    I don't know of any law that would stop him from selling him the rifle. He couldn't take it with him but he could have had it sent to Illinois and then used hid FOID to pick it up at an FFL.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I don't know of any law that would stop him from selling him the rifle. He couldn't take it with him but he could have had it sent to Illinois and then used hid FOID to pick it up at an FFL.

Like said, it's (or at least, was) a 24 hour wait to buy a rifle at the Hammond Cabela's for IL residents. Was the person looking at handguns? You can buy a long gun over state lines from an FFL w/out an FFL transfer to your state. Now, in Indiana you can purchase a long gun from an FFL in any state that will sell one to you. It used to be just bordering states. Handguns must go FFL to in state FFL.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I can't even count the number of times Ive been in a gun store in a neighboring state (usually Ohio!) that will not sell to an Indiana resident, even right over the border in Cinci where you think they would at least do that quite often. The place I went in Cleveland once even told me they knew that they could, but it was store policy that they would not.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I can't even count the number of times Ive been in a gun store in a neighboring state (usually Ohio!) that will not sell to an Indiana resident, even right over the border in Cinci where you think they would at least do that quite often. The place I went in Cleveland once even told me they knew that they could, but it was store policy that they would not.

Yes, that happened to me when I tried to buy a Mosin in Michigan. Store policy trumps all I guess. Ignorance is bliss I guess. :n00b:

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    If the company has a physical presence in IL then IL can require it to do stuff, just like Indiana is supposed to require retailers here to collect sales tax.. If the store in Hammond does not follow IL rules for IL people, then IL can sue the parent company..

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    He was looking at long barrel shot guns. His friend had his FOID (which I think should be called a VOID) So they got to look anyways.

If the original guy didn't have a FOID, in Illinois he wouldn't be allowed to touch the gun at the store. My guess is the IN Cabella's is just following Illinois law. Plus, if you walk up to the counter and it's known to the staff for WHATEVER reason that they won't be able to sell you the gun, see if they're willing to show it to you.

If a 15 year old walks up and asks to see a rifle, they're going to tell him to come back with his parents because he can't buy the gun. If someone else who was a known prohibited person walked up to the counter, they wouldn't show them the gun because they can't buy it. If they ask where you're from and you say Illinois and you don't have a FOID, they're not going to show you the gun, because you can't buy it.

Don't think this is bad on Cabellas part.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    He asked the guy ahead of me what was his state of residence and when the guy said Illinois the sales guy would not show him any guns without it. He said "We have to abide by Illinois law"

I was thinking "WHAT?"

You are incorrect and they are correct per federal law. From BATFECES

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.
    [18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]
    ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Unlicensed Persons

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

Correct but in this case they were. See above.

They abide by the state laws of the state of your residents, hence the 24 hour wait.

They have to abide by the laws of the state where they are located and the laws of the state of residence of purchaser.

Can't sell a handgun but he can show him one. Mr Salesman probably just thought it would be a waste of his time.

Not positive on the laws of the state of IL, but I believe they are required to show FOID just to even handle a firearm at a FFL.

It's probably policy because it's hard to know all the laws in your own state, let alone everywhere else.

If the company has a physical presence in IL then IL can require it to do stuff, just like Indiana is supposed to require retailers here to collect sales tax.. If the store in Hammond does not follow IL rules for IL people, then IL can sue the parent company..

It's federal law that they have to follow IL law for IL residents. So no it's not that IL can sue, it's that they can lose their FFL and I believe have federal charges pressed against them.

If a 15 year old walks up and asks to see a rifle, they're going to tell him to come back with his parents because he can't buy the gun. If someone else who was a known prohibited person walked up to the counter, they wouldn't show them the gun because they can't buy it. If they ask where you're from and you say Illinois and you don't have a FOID, they're not going to show you the gun, because you can't buy it.

Don't know about Cabellas, but when I was underage my local gun store would let me fondle just about any firearm I wanted, if they weren't busy. And they knew I was underage.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    I lived in IL, never had to show a FOID card to look at guns. Buying ammo or any gun (except for air rifles) you had to show it though

anewrnn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Crown Point
    I go there to fondle things

Urrrr ahhhh, I mean fondle the guns and I like to walk right passed the stand at the front with a huge smile on my face every time. Dont know why??? Then Ill call around and order from my local shops/ffl if Im serious.I won't buy from a store that sells guns but won't allow ccw or OC even though its my right to do so.You cant beat their selection though and there are a ton of newbs keeping them busy.

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    I lived in IL, never had to show a FOID card to look at guns. Buying ammo or any gun (except for air rifles) you had to show it though

I know in recent times, say last 5 years every FFL has asked to see FOID for us to handle guns.

Last winter I went up to Hammond Cabelas with the intention of buying a Mossberg JIC shotgun on sale. Since it had a pistol grip and no butt stock they had to treat it as a pistol, which would have required the 3 day wait and transfer to a ILL FFL. I passed as it was too big of a PITA.

Top Bottom