At what condition(s) do you loan your gun if you do?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Would you let a fellow INGO menber borrow your gun?

• Total voters

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    In a couple of threads, where people were asking about a particular model of gun that they wanted to buy, I saw some INGO menbers saying: "Hey I have this gun, you can just borrow it, go to the range and see how you like it."
    I thought it was VERY generous to let someone borrow and shoot your own gun.

I already shot a couple of guns who were not mine.It was at the range where the owner of the gun just let me shot one or two rounds to see how I liked his gun.
    Usually people are proud of their toys and if you get too curious about it they even ask you if you want to shoot it.
    But that was at the range with the owner there, and just a few shots because I used his ammo.

I would like to try a few models of guns in the future (before being that same model) and maybe take someone (family menber, not random stranger) to the range and let them try a couple of guns (some that I might not own yet at this time).

So ... sorry about the long thread, but here is my question finally.

What would be your condition(s) to loan a gun to someone that you never met and only know from INGO?

Let say let him/her borrow it for a couple of days and bring it back all clean AND with [STRIKE]most[/STRIKE] ... ALL the parts. :):
    And even maybe with a box of ammo or chocolate (or bacon) to say thanks. ;)

You would not loan any gun to someone you dont personally know?
    Would that depends on the person's age?
    His/her reputation on INGO? (By that I dont mean the actual "INGO rep", I mean how much you know of that person from his/her posts here).
    You would ask for something as a deposit? (Cash, some kind of official ID, wife, pets ...)
    Would you ask to see some ID?
    Make that person sign something that says he/she is borrowing the gun?
    Would you let that person "borrow" your gun only if you could come to the range with him/her?
    Have you already done it?

Thank you all for your answers! :yesway:

markiemark

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 21, 2011
    Liberty, IN
    For me it would have to be a long time friend or family member for them to take my gun home. I dont mind having strangers shoot mine tho while at the range......guess im just over-protective! :dunno:

Ronald

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    I wouldn't mind as long as I were with them. There's no way I'd just hand over a gun for someone to borrow, though.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    For me it would have to be a long time friend or family member for them to take my gun home. I dont mind having strangers shoot mine tho while at the range......guess im just over-protective! :dunno:

No problem, we all are in a way.
    I forgot to talk about that but I guess it also depends how many guns you own too.
    I wouldnt loan my ONLY shotgun or handgun if it's what I use to carry or for home protection.
    I know someone who owns 6 (six!) Glock 19s, I bet he would be more willing to loan one than someone who only has one.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I used to LOVE taking people to the range for the sole purpose of sharing my WW2 guns. It was a great way to enjoy a collection of history. I considered the cost of ammo to be the fun fee and since I was having fun no matter who was shooting I didn't consider even bringing up the money issue to my guests. That is a little different than loaning them out though. I've since sold off most of the WW2 stuff.
    I've loaned out my pistol to a guy that was seriously considering buying one. It was an easy loan to figure out though. I only slightly knew him (from INGO) but the entire time he had possession of it we were shooting FNS in the same squad. He was NOT new to guns so I considered any likelihood of wear or breakage to be no greater with him handling it than me. I also consider the "how does he repay me" issue to be a non issue. I've received so many offers and outright favors from INGO people that I am simply paying it forward.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Meet me at my range and you can shoot anything that belongs to me. Nothing goes home with you unless I know you beforehand or unless you bought it.

I have to visit you for Christmas! :D

I guess I could buy a gun from you and sale it to you later at the same price. :dunno: ;)

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Not a good question

I voted yes but for verification.........being an INGO member does not by any stretch of the imagination qualify a person to borrow my gun.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    It would really depend on the circumstances. I would let just about anyone borrow any of my guns as long as I accompanied them to the range. I might even provide the ammo if I have enough. As far as letting someone take my gun without me present, I would be pretty picky about that one. Might even want something for collateral.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    To all the people that say they would only let someone shoot their gun(s) if they are there but wouldnt let someone just barrow it, I think it is still a very generous offer.
    Especially if you just ask the guy to bring his own ammo or pay for your own and dont charge any fees.
    I would keep you guys in mind when I need to try a new piece. :)

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    It would really depend on the circumstances. I would let just about anyone borrow any of my guns as long as I accompanied them to the range. I might even provide the ammo if I have enough. As far as letting someone take my gun without me present, I would be pretty picky about that one. Might even want something for collateral.

Collateral?
    You mean you loan me your Mosin Nagant and I loan you my .50 cal Barrett with 2000 rounds of ammo until I bring your gun back to you?
    You would still be picky about me? :D

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    There are three people I can think of, outside of family, who I would allow to use any of my firearms (or, really, anything I have) just by asking. I've trusted them in the past with other things, and I know they're all very responsible. ...and I know where they live. :D

Other people who have used any of my firearms have always done so in my presence ...and usually using my ammo (just a few rounds at a time). Though, often, it's sort of a mutual, momentary, swap of firearms.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    I used to LOVE taking people to the range for the sole purpose of sharing my WW2 guns. It was a great way to enjoy a collection of history. I considered the cost of ammo to be the fun fee and since I was having fun no matter who was shooting I didn't consider even bringing up the money issue to my guests. That is a little different than loaning them out though. I've since sold off most of the WW2 stuff.
    I've loaned out my pistol to a guy that was seriously considering buying one. It was an easy loan to figure out though. I only slightly knew him (from INGO) but the entire time he had possession of it we were shooting FNS in the same squad. He was NOT new to guns so I considered any likelihood of wear or breakage to be no greater with him handling it than me. I also consider the "how does he repay me" issue to be a non issue. I've received so many offers and outright favors from INGO people that I am simply paying it forward.

This.

I have been a recipient of Shooting Docs WWII guns:D But, I have also known him for 39 years.

As long as I'm there, I have no problem with people shooting my guns. I have taken my share to the range. However, I would probably have to know someone REALLY well before I would just let them borrow it.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I loan firearms.

If I'm present and I trust the person, I'll share whatever I have so long as I think it is safe to do so.

If I'm going to loan out the firearm and the firearm is going out of my control, it has to be someone who I fully trust to be safe and responsible with the firearm. I have no concern about someone stealing or breaking the firearm, I just want them to be safe with it. If I get ripped off on a $1,000 rifle, its a cheap lesson on whether I can trust the person or not.

Also: We loan rifles out at Appleseeds all the time. I have loaned my rifles to countless people and every hat I know is selfless with their rifles and ammo. We had a family of five show up in Bedford without rifles, ammo, eye and ear protection or any gear beyond water and chairs. We got them kitted up and they had a great weekend with one of the daughters shooting rifleman! I love loaning my rifles to people at seeds. I love being able to help people like that. Its great to be a free man in a free country!!!

Last edited:

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    At the range I'll let most anyone who seems responsible try one of my guns. As far as "taking" one I might consider letting my kids or sons-in-law... but that's about it.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Yes I'd loan a gun to a friend. I think most of my friends are banned from INGO though. I'm not sure if it's the board or their wife who banned some of them and a few friends who wouldn't know what an "INGO" is. If they are a friend I'd let them just pick out what ever they need and give 'em amo to go with it if they need it.

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    Yes I'd loan a gun to a friend.

Easy for you to say...

because you don't have any friends!

I don't have many friends I'd loan a gun to with no questions asked. I'd loan a gun to most family members without hesitation. I'd loan a gun to some people I know well if I knew why they wanted to borrow it.

If someone wanted to borrow a gun of mine so they could help fight against the immediate presence of a common enemy, I guess I wouldn't hardly need to know them at all.

Top Bottom