At what point is pepper spray justified?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Don't rely on the WAY outdated Continuum to judge force and I'm not sure there is a definitive answer for OC use in Indiana.

Right, which is why I'd like to hear the definitive answer! The intent of my post was meant to be a, "some say this, some say that," sort of thing.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I've heard this opinion numerous times in regards to pepper spray and tasers, but we all seem to be fine carrying pistols without any expectation that we've experienced the effects.

I guess I'm not sure what the point would be.

Getting sprayed yourself is strongly encouraged. If you carry spray and use spray, you WILL get a facefull of your own stuff. Don't let the first time you experience the full effects be the time your safety is at risk.

mergatroid

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS
    I was just considering the same thing. With the rise in violence against drivers by political rioters, I'm considering carrying pepper spray in my car to spray out the sunroof if ever surrounded by agitators. I hate that I've even had to ponder the thought.

Under Indiana stand-your-ground laws if rioters are surrounding and beating on my occupied motor vehicle I am permitted to use reasonable force, I believe pepper spray is minimal yet effective reasonable force.
    You get the idea of the original post.
    The point was not all the stuff that can go wrong with spray, most of us are smart enough to figure that one out.
    Guess you might be left with some sort of "hey get out of my face" situation and when would using some limited force be reasonable it they were just "in your face"?
    Maybe we will get some intelligent responses to that concept.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    With the growing recommendation from political leaders, Maxine Waters, Cory Booker, et al, and the growing prevalence of "Antifa" style aggressive behavior toward normal Americans, see link below, would the use of pepper spray ever be justified to "protect" your personal space?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_8Wpv8eFA4

What do you think?

You get the idea of the original post.
    The point was not all the stuff that can go wrong with spray, most of us are smart enough to figure that one out.
    Guess you might be left with some sort of "hey get out of my face" situation and when would using some limited force be reasonable it they were just "in your face"?
    Maybe we will get some intelligent responses to that concept.

Sorry but there is no easy answer. Legally justified is VERY fact dependent and there are a infinite number of facts that affect this. If you can articulate that you felt that your safety was at risk then you should be ok. What was the person doing that was "In your face?" What were the pre-attack indicators that would lead you to believe that some kind of attack was imminent? Specific, articulatable, facts is what you need.

mergatroid

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Sorry but there is no easy answer. Legally justified is VERY fact dependent and there are a infinite number of facts that affect this. If you can articulate that you felt that your safety was at risk then you should be ok. What was the person doing that was "In your face?" What were the pre-attack indicators that would lead you to believe that some kind of attack was imminent? Specific, articulatable, facts is what you need.
    Good answer. Good follow of the train of thought. +1 to me for being very consistent over a period of time. (I often post on the fly, so glad to see I still have some memory left.)
    Thanks.
    "You being in my face is a clear threat, please step back." (I won't step back you ******) Spritzzzzzzz. Exit stage left. ??

Top Bottom