• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I can't put in to words how pissed I am about this whole thing. Finally when it looks like I might do some more NFA things in the future this crap has to happen.
    Anyone ever thought about making a "post 41F" trust? I kinda have....

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    I don't have anything NFA, and likely won't for years if at all, but I try to retain information on the subject.

So pardon my ignorance but can someone please explain to me why this is bad? I've read summaries of the rule, but it's just not clicking.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Creates a local registry of all NFA items, submitted after 7/16, by eliminating a CLEO signature but creating a CLEO notification system. Also, infringes more of trusts. Now everyone on a trust has to be fingerprinted (every two years) and photographed (every year). Not a big deal to some. Big deal to me as I have four people on my trust who are legally able to have my NFA items. I, for one, will be writing later today to, hopefully, have this challenged.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Creates a local registry of all NFA items, submitted after 7/16, by eliminating a CLEO signature but creating a CLEO notification system. Also, infringes more of trusts. Now everyone on a trust has to be fingerprinted (every two years) and photographed (every year). Not a big deal to some. Big deal to me as I have four people on my trust who are legally able to have my NFA items. I, for one, will be writing later today to, hopefully, have this challenged.

Ahh the local registry didn't click with me. Makes sense. I figured one of the issues was the fingerprints and photos, but when I saw that you no longer need CLEO approval I figured it was a good thing.

Thanks

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg

It's my understanding that fingerprints are to be renewed every two years if a new purchase is made after the original documentation has expired. Also, I think the photograph submitted cannot be older than one year, but a new photograph doesn't have to be submitted every year. I think we are saying the same thing, but I want to be corrected or not cause confusion having people think the renewal is a requirement for NFA items already purchased under the new standard. Am I wrong?

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    It's my understanding that fingerprints are to be renewed every two years if a new purchase is made after the original documentation has expired. Also, I think the photograph submitted cannot be older than one year, but a new photograph doesn't have to be submitted every year. I think we are saying the same thing, but I want to be corrected or not cause confusion having people think the renewal is a requirement for NFA items already purchased under the new standard. Am I wrong?

Correct. Sorry for the confusion, I was posting at work from my phone. Fingerprints have to updated every two years when purchasing a new NFA item. Photos cannot be older than one year old. One thing I did see is the photo and prints will be kept on file, so you'll only have to send them in after the expiration, which means you'll now have to keep track of WHEN you sent in your last picture and print set.

jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    So any NFA trust set up before July 2016 will be grandfathered in under the current status of NFA trusts?

No. The trust must be set up and the form 4 has to be pending before that date. So if you buy online, they first submit a form 3 to transfer to a local dealer and then the form 4 to transfer to you. So realistically, if you want to buy a suppressor under the name of the trust, you really need to purchase the suppressor two months before the July date. So purchased by the beginning of May 2016.

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    What happens when one currently has a NFA Gun Trust and NFA items, do they need to get fingerprints submitted since they must be renewed every two years?

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    What happens when one currently has a NFA Gun Trust and NFA items, do they need to get fsiingerprints submitted since they must be renewed every two years?

No. The current NFA items are already approved. The photo and fingerprints have to be updated only when buying.

Ftr: IANAL these are my understandings of what I have read.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Ditto...no NFA stuff here!

Like most new laws...it'll probably take a lawsuit or two to interpret + define the designations, limitations, responsibilities, and parameters of it all established within it's community.

If I had the money, I would be more than happy to challenge this new rule. Why is a non-legislative entity able to create laws?

INPatriot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    God's Country
    Please forgive my ignorance. With a very young and growing family, NFA items have not been prioritized spending but now that the clock is ticking so to say I want to make sure I have my timelines straight.

1) Buy NFA item, in this case a suppressor, and keep it in jail...probably a dealer
    2) File NFA trust
    3) Submit necessary NFA forms

If this is wrong please let me know the right sequence

Thanks

Top Bottom