• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    I realize this is about 2 yrs old so some of you may have seen it before. But seriously how dumb is this guy!

[ame]http://youtu.be/Y2sWiZ8BizI[/ame]

civicisaye

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2012
    Evansville
    Classic example of an asshat! :laugh: "Can easily be converted to a machine gun..... Anyone leaving their house with is asking for trouble" LMAO! This has to be a joke or is the BATFE staffed with deedeedee's?

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    From the video, that "agent" seems to have very little first-hand knowledge. My guess is that he is a "public information officer", tasked only with repeating dogma, as he has been instructed. Sounds like he may have trouble spelling ATF, if you spotted him the "A", and the "F".

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    I would seriously like to see them convert a hunk of plastic into a workable firearm. Id like to be behind a shield while eating popcorn while they shoot it

This is my favorite reply from the youtube page! :D
    these guns can clearly be converted to real AR 15s. All you need is to replace the the lower receiver and all of the trigger components, and the upper receiver, and put in a proper firing pin, and also a barrel and stock. I converted my Ford Focus into a Veyron the same way. Just replace the engine and transmission, wheels, chassis, brakes, exhaust, electrical system, body panels, instrumentation, interior and voila!

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I fail to see how it is possible to convert one. I'm not familiar with air soft, but I don't think they even have a firing pin, etc since there are no primers.

As far as the comment that anyone leaving the house with one of these is looking for trouble, give me a break.

Last edited:

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    The issue is not the upper. The ATF seized them because the lowers could be modified and then used with a real upper and you would have "converted" them to a firearm.

This is ironic because you can build a lower out of any plastic including a cutting board:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3chSzLxPuzU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3chSzLxPuzU[/ame]

Because the ATF originally allowed the lower to be the serialized part on AR's they have to live with the reality that it is the non-load bearing portion of the mechanics and anything can be turned into a lower.

So the dorkiness goes waaayyyyyyy back and this incident is just a carry on from unintended consequences.

I.E. they got them on a technicality.

billmyn

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    160   0   1
    Mar 19, 2009
    New Ross
    this is ludicrous but , there are a lot of airsoft components that will fit and function on a real ar15 , butt stocks , hand guards and some other parts . thats where the magpul training versions come from they are intended for airsoft . not recommended but they do fit . that may be the bases of his stupid ideology .

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    Some of the better Japanese made examples are made completely of steel, and use an internal design that is very very close to the real weapon.

It is technically possible that you could convert certain such airsoft guns into a firing weapon with an appropriate parts kit, and mechanical knowledge of the real firearm.....

THAT said, there would still be no guarantee that such a contraption would be safe to fire - and the chance of converting one of the plastic gun shown in this video is totally non existent. This is a classic case of ATF taking one specific instance, and 'stretching the truth' far beyond reality.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Unbelievable! Military grade weapons? Machine guns? If that's the case, then why are we not using in these at war? Simply amazing at what our gooberment does to protect us.

I think the shop owner is right, "proposterous".

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    That ATF agent maybe a lil smarter than you guys think...

Now one of those critics is reversing his position, saying at least one airsoft manufacturer has taken the quest to be authentic a little too far.
    “The airsoft can be converted to an AR-15,” firearms manufacturer Leo Gonnuscio told FoxNews.com after testing the make and model of airsoft guns seized by the ATF.

Having concluded that several other airsoft guns could not be converted to fire real ammunition, Gonnuscio said he was surprised to find that he was able to to transform this particular gun to the real thing -- and with “minimal work,” because its bottom half, or “receiver,” is so similar to an AR-15

EXCLUSIVE: Toy Gun Sold In U.S. Can Easily Be Converted To The Real Thing | Fox News

Top Bottom