• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foxmustang

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I'm on a few Facebook groups for "man cave" stuff. A fellow posted his AR and said he's looking for a truck. Well having one for sale I offered up a trade. After a few questions I asked his location, and he said Lexington, Kentucky. After a few more replies I informed him that since it was an out of state deal we would have to do the trade at an FFL, to which he replied that out of state sales are completely legal. After I cited the ATF website 3 times and turned down his offer, he gave me a few choice words and stopped replying. I see he pulled his ad on Facebook and has now deleted his profile. Is this just becoming more common? I've never really dealt with anybody this ignorant, so it got me to thinking about the stories I've heard of the "ATF stings" trying to get people selling/trading across state lines. What's INGO's take on it?

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To Foxmustang,

I just think there are a lot of folks out there who want to believe what they want to believe. You confuse them with facts.

Then there is a segment of the population that doesn't want to be told what to do. If they don't believe it should be illegal they will resist doing it.

Finally, you can run into simple ignorance that is just lazy and doesn't want to take the time to learn.

I doubt the "sting" operations. A LEO can correct me but I believe most sting ops are going to target known big fish. It looks good in the press and it conserves limited investigative resources.

I have my FFL03 C&R license. Most of my online buys are with other C&R holders, so we know the drill. However, I sometimes will post on threads such as these that IF I buy a C&R qualified firearm from ANYONE I must by Federal law get some of their personal information, otherwise I cannot do it. This, I hope, will slowly remove ignorance from some folks.

Just keep up educating the uneducated. I am ignorant of so many things, which is why I love these boards! I learn something new every day.

Regards,

Doug

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Feds sweep through three states in weapons sting - Home - Bowling Green Daily News
    Federal authorities announce the results of an 18-month investigation into allegedly illegal weapons in Kentucky, Indiana and Tennessee. Photo by Clinton Lewis
    Federal authorities ripped through homes and hun stores in three states Wednesday and arrested 16 people on firearms-related charges.The arrests and search warrants were the result of an 18-month undercover investigation by agents from the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms into the illegal trafficking of firearms in the states, according to statements made during an afternoon news conference in Bowling Green.Agents bought more than 500 guns from individuals at flea markets, gun shows, gun shops and homes, and ended up seizing almost 1,000 firearms.

I would not be so fast to say not a sting operation.

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    NE of Indy
    Just goes to show you have to do your own research and know the law for yourself and not rely on what you hear. He may or may not have been in a sting but definitely sounds misinformed. Good job setting him straight and protecting yourself in the process!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I doubt a fed would have cursed you and pulled his info. Most likely a petulant child in an adults body. seeing a lot of that these days.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    If it was feds, CM is right. They wouldn't have cursed at you. They'd have simply moved onto the next person.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Who knows....but the added issue of trading a truck, rather than cash, makes for a messier operation and sounds more like a real buyer.

...or at least that what THEY want you to think.

foxmustang

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Every thing seemed legit until it came to using an FFL. I don't think any person could be that misinformed after I sent the link to the ATF website, then individual parts I was citing. Oh and his cousin who is an FFL in Georgia said it was legal as well.

cook5oh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I'm sure that was just someone seriously misinformed or didnt care about the regulations. The ATF doesnt care about your single weapons deal. I've assisted with the so-called stings, and they always involved selling large amounts of firearms illegally and often time included unregistered machine guns and the like.

foxmustang

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I'm sure that was just someone seriously misinformed or didnt care about the regulations. The ATF doesnt care about your single weapons deal. I've assisted with the so-called stings, and they always involved selling large amounts of firearms illegally and often time included unregistered machine guns and the like.

That's kinda what I thought, but just the same way he kept pushing the sale got my attention.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Within the last two years the gun owner population has gone up. I am sure there are many good guys who will do their research, but also many idiots who either choose not to follow the law or remain ignorant of it. Knowing that, we can assume that the likelyhood of running into an idiot increases. That is my :twocents:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

Fast and Furious says otherwise. I think they prefer them.

FWIW, testing from the feds is probably more common than most people think. I would tend to agree that it is a low-return effort to randomly solicit buyers for illegal sales, in terms of resources spent and "good being done." But there is an entire department of testers for fair housing laws within HUD, and I would bet money I have received more than a few calls from them. Why do I think so? Because they are so far out of the norm as far as inquiries go that they stand out as ridiculous. I can't believe the apple falls too far from the tree in government orchards, and it wouldn't surprise me in the least to find that ATF is employing exactly the same standards of insanity in trying to "enforce" the law.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Just know the laws and don't break them!!!

This is not possible.

Large law firms exist to ensure companies don't break the law and they still fail.

Speaking of breaking the rules, good luck on getting to 50 posts, that little word "quality" makes all the difference in the world. Trying to circumvent the rules by rapidly posting a bunch of one-line posts is such a new twist!

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Every thing seemed legit until it came to using an FFL. I don't think any person could be that misinformed after I sent the link to the ATF website, then individual parts I was citing. Oh and his cousin who is an FFL in Georgia said it was legal as well.

What's the guy got to lose if he can get you to ship to him out of state? He probably knew very well that it was illegal but doesn't care. He trades with you (he might be a felon who can't legally buy) and he has the gun he wants and maybe a deal where you don't even get a record of him with your gun.

foxmustang

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    What's the guy got to lose if he can get you to ship to him out of state? He probably knew very well that it was illegal but doesn't care. He trades with you (he might be a felon who can't legally buy) and he has the gun he wants and maybe a deal where you don't even get a record of him with your gun.
    Gun would have been traded to me, he would have recieved my truck. It would have been face to face deal.

Top Bottom