• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    Before everyone gets all worked up, a white paper is just the official submission an idea from an employee to the organization. It's not policy and it's not the beginning of policy. It's an idea that is the beginning of, well, in government probably rounds of committees, comments, reapplication, who knows what all.

I agree with the above statement. Furthermore, the white paper deals with so much more than just silencers.

BREAKING: Leaked ATF Memo Reveals Planned Pro-Gun Moves - The Truth About Guns

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Am I the only one that doesn't like this?

If they can change policy now, can't they change it back in 4 years?

The laws need changed, not policy changed.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Unpossible. I know from The Learned at INGO that it matters not who wins elections because Republican and Democrat administrations are the same.

Would INGO lie to me?

I get your point. Are you implying Trump had something to do with this? The paper was released on the 20th and I seem to recall that Trump had other plans on that date. Furthermore, the author has been in his current position since Oct 2105 and with the agency since 2008.

To me it sounds like the ATF are tired of enforcing laws that they know are stupid, draconian and ineffective in stopping (real) crime and they'd rather focus their attention and resources on other, more productive things.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

AGREED.

However, this adds ammo to our fight. If the ATF says these rules are feckless, then that supports the cause of elimination. Now, the only people supporting NFA bans are the same shrill gun-grabbers that most people ignore and are underrepresented on Capitol Hill.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Maybe they see the writing on the wall and realize that if they don't get with the new program they'll be converted from a gubmint agency to a convenience store.
    ATF? See the writing?
    Nah.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I get your point. Are you implying Trump had something to do with this? The paper was released on the 20th and I seem to recall that Trump had other plans on that date. Furthermore, the author has been in his current position since Oct 2105 and with the agency since 2008.

To me it sounds like the ATF are tired of enforcing laws that they know are stupid, draconian and ineffective in stopping (real) crime and they'd rather focus their attention and resources on other, more productive things.
    theres always people in the ATF that support our rights. Who the president and their political appointed bosses are have a huge impact on policy within the agency and I'm sure who keeps people's mouths shut who are against the political leaders views.
    if Hillary was elected you can be sure this letter would have never been written

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville

Assuming this is actually something for the sake of argument, which it really isn't anything at the moment.

This doesn't hurt anything. It is one of a thousand cuts to kill the dragon. Show that the enforcement agency thinks it is pointless and you make another cut. Get a congressman to reference it in a hearing on the HPA, make another cut. Sure they can change their internal policy. And this wouldn't be the first time. Look back over the last eight years. They are going to change policy, so you can either snatch defeat from the jaws of victory and say "no thank you, I'll wait for the law to change", or take what they give you along the road to a more permanent fix.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Before everyone gets all worked up, a white paper is just the official submission an idea from an employee to the organization. It's not policy and it's not the beginning of policy. It's an idea that is the beginning of, well, in government probably rounds of committees, comments, reapplication, who knows what all. I'm only familiar with the concept from the IT standpoint.

That's why at the bottom it reads:

He's a University of Louisville grad, so I'm sure he's a clever fellow. :D

On a side note, he's been in the position of deputy director since 2015, first as acting and then as actual. I would wonder if he's been sitting on this for a bit to see how the election went, or if he sees an opportunity and went for it.

Too late... My panties are already in a bunch!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    AGREED.

However, this adds ammo to our fight. If the ATF says these rules are feckless, then that supports the cause of elimination. Now, the only people supporting NFA bans are the same shrill gun-grabbers that most people ignore and are underrepresented on Capitol Hill.

The ATF isn't saying anything, yet. One guy, who is a high ranking guy but is still one guy, is saying it.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    theres always people in the ATF that support our rights. Who the president and their political appointed bosses are have a huge impact on policy within the agency and I'm sure who keeps people's mouths shut who are against the political leaders views.
    if Hillary was elected you can be sure this letter would have never been written

You're probably right.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Hasn't anyone mentioned M1 Garand and Carbines and 1911 can could find their way back to America?! :rockwoot:

Then in item 6, looks like a review of 922r could be coming... :rockwoot::rockwoot:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The ATF isn't saying anything, yet. One guy, who is a high ranking guy but is still one guy, is saying it.

You cheated and read the last page, didn't you?
    The opinions expressed within this white paper are not those of the ATF; they are merely the ideas
    and opinions of this writer. They are provided for internal use within ATF and DOJ and not intended to be
    public. They are also general thoughts that cannot be taken as exacting language regarding policy or
    quotable specifics. Additional specific details can be provided to further these general discussions.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    While it is just one guy, and certainly there are a lot of laws that need changing and repealing, anything that gets the ATF moving in the direction of supporting instead of suppressing the 2A is A Good Thing. Not perhaps A Great Good Thing, and certainly not The Final Good Thing, but A Good Thing nonetheless.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    While it is just one guy, and certainly there are a lot of laws that need changing and repealing, anything that gets the ATF moving in the direction of supporting instead of suppressing the 2A is A Good Thing. Not perhaps A Great Good Thing, and certainly not The Final Good Thing, but A Good Thing nonetheless.
    i think there are a lot more than just one guy. But a lot of people are not policy makers.
    How many cops would rather go catch real criminals than have to enforce a stupid seat belt law? But we elected tards that caved to special interest and made it law so they have to enforce it. Same thing happens federally.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Hasn't anyone mentioned M1 Garand and Carbines and 1911 can could find their way back to America?! :rockwoot:

Then in item 6, looks like a review of 922r could be coming... :rockwoot::rockwoot:

Yeah, if they don't get dumped in the ocean in the mean time.
    Remember these 5 foot long rifles might be used for nefarious purposes like drive by shootings and so forth.....

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Yeah, if they don't get dumped in the ocean in the mean time.
    Remember these 5 foot long rifles might be used for nefarious purposes like drive by shootings and so forth.....

That's because gang-bangers haven't adjusted their combat tactics to capitalize on the ping from a Garand clip flying out on the last round.

Top Bottom