• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tnek

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Just got it today on BluRay and I am really disapointed. It looks like a bad TV movie. I quit right after mexico nationalized the the RR. Looked cumbersom, awkward and so out of sync. The whole ludicrus idea that rail is the only form of transport now just doesnt work.

I feel like Ayan would be spinning if she saw this. WHY oh WHY couldnt they keep it set in the time frame it was written for? The ideas still hold true but this "update" fails big time for me. :noway:

Then again that is just my opinion. I dont see part 2 making it to the light of day.
    I guess its time to just enjoy the book again.

fochman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Sorry to hear that the movie is bad. Just read the book again recently and once again thoroughly enjoyed it.

photoshooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I had a similar feeling about the quality of the movie when I saw it the first time. BUT I had not yet read the book.

I've since remedied my lack of reading Atlas - and I disagree on the idea of Rail travel being un-realistic as to what's left in the future.

• Al Gore and his buddies are doing the best to kill air travel for all but the elite
    • Obama seems set on increasing regulations to kill gasoline consumption for personal travel
    I can really see the progressive movement getting us into just the kind of mess that movie depicts.

Rule #1 of any "beloved" book to movie is that the movie is never going to be as good as the book. The only two series that have broken that one are Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter. Even then, we get naysayers on them. ;)

- The other complaint that many will have is the B-list cast, and non-Hollywood feel to the production.

Take a look at the budget. I've seen much worse movies that were a serious attempt at a slick feel.

The Cast: It would be nice to see Angelina Jolie in the lead (which was rumored at one point). Taylor Schilling does a good job - but is still a bit "soft" as a female lead in the world used to the no-nonsense bloodlust female biz leader roles played by the likes of Glenn Close in Damages.

Here is one of her "strong personality" moments:

[ame]http://youtu.be/o8MVFoiw-dw[/ame]

Final word: It took a while to grow on me. I saw it twice in theaters, and hope to watch it again tonight (special edition disk). I want to listen to the director/producer's commentary to get more insight into how/why it was made.

BTW: if you purchased the dvd at the store (not a special edition disk) you may have a collectible:
    On the back of the film’s retail DVD case, the movie’s synopsis reads, “AYN RAND’s timeless novel of courage and self-sacrifice comes to life… [emphasis added]”
    Although the description may seem innocuous at first, avid followers of the philosophy behind “Atlas Shrugged” know that the term “self-sacrifice” is completely antithetical to the idea of Objectivism.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I actually enjoyed the movie. We didn't have any theater close to us that played the movie so we drove up to Chicago and watched the movie on the big screen. I have it on order from Amazon.com and expect my copy of the Blu-Ray to arrive any day now.

Does it 'feel' more like a MADE FOR TV movie than a big Hollywood release? YES. But this was a pretty low budget movie and they did a good job based on the fact that none of the big studios would fund/back the movie. For a small production I thought it was good.

But more importantly, for getting out the message of Ayn Rand, the movie actually does a pretty darn good job. Further, the movie does a pretty decent job of standing on its own for folks who have never picked up Rand's 1100+ page tome.

photoshooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've probably read Atlas Shrugged eight or nine times and have been hesitant to see the movie for fear of disappointment. After watching the Dagny clip above I'm less likely to watch the rest.

I'd say that the real purpose of the movie isn't to please the Rand "faithful" - but to bring Rand's message to the unwashed masses who either don't want to tackle an 1100 page book set in the 1950s - or who just don't pay enough attention to current events and how they affect our current political system and system of government.

Rand calls out Progressives in the book - and Progressives are at the forefront of liberalism today.

The message in the movie/book needs to get out there - and in today's world of high tech electronics - I hope the movie version will bring a few more folks to the side of reason in our current political crisis.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I actually enjoyed the movie. We didn't have any theater close to us that played the movie so we drove up to Chicago and watched the movie on the big screen. I have it on order from Amazon.com and expect my copy of the Blu-Ray to arrive any day now.

Does it 'feel' more like a MADE FOR TV movie than a big Hollywood release? YES. But this was a pretty low budget movie and they did a good job based on the fact that none of the big studios would fund/back the movie. For a small production I thought it was good.

But more importantly, for getting out the message of Ayn Rand, the movie actually does a pretty darn good job. Further, the movie does a pretty decent job of standing on its own for folks who have never picked up Rand's 1100+ page tome.

I agree!

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Haven't seen it yet, but I would not expect Hollywood to have been able to do this movie in such a way that would not do violence to Rand's ideas.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    When I saw it in Westfield, the theater was packed, and there was much appreciation for the movie. Yeah, they had to patch the story a little to bring it into current times, but $35/gallon gas isn't that unreasonable with the twits we have ruining things, and how you gonna get around with that? Bear in mind also, that this is merely the first of three parts; the story is huge and will take a while to resolve. Plus, it's not only stuck with a limited budget, but is actually being made in the face of active resistance from hollyweird, which is pretty strong stuff. With all that it faced, I was impressed.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    When I saw it in Westfield, the theater was packed, and there was much appreciation for the movie. Yeah, they had to patch the story a little to bring it into current times, but $35/gallon gas isn't that unreasonable with the twits we have ruining things, and how you gonna get around with that? Bear in mind also, that this is merely the first of three parts; the story is huge and will take a while to resolve. Plus, it's not only stuck with a limited budget, but is actually being made in the face of active resistance from hollyweird, which is pretty strong stuff. With all that it faced, I was impressed.
    ^^^this^^^

If you don't want to watch the movie, at least buy it and give it to someone you think may watch it! This is "the movie they didn't want you to see" of the century, maybe of all time!

7th Stepper

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Indiana
    Rule #1 of any "beloved" book to movie is that the movie is never going to be as good as the book. The only two series that have broken that one are Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter. Even then, we get naysayers on them. ;)

Not having either seen the movie, nor read the book, I can't comment on that particular movie. BUT I can add my opinion on the above quote regarding the other movies. Other books to movies that hold relatively true to the plot are S. King ones. He is there for the entire production, and rarely allows any variance to his original theme. He also usually plays a "bit" part, somewhere in the movie. Some of the ones I've completely enjoyed are: The Stand. The Green Mile, Shawshank Redemption, IT, The Tommyknockers, Storm of the Century, as well as a few others.

I'd love it if he made his series of "The Gunslinger" into a movie. But I doubt that would happen. It's to detailed, has to may subplots, and would be a HUGE undertaking as there are 8 books to the series. It'd be a great movie, and I'd pay to see it in the theater.

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy held true to the book, with the exception of the ending. I don't know if they ran out of money to do it, or that it would have made the movie longer than it already was. But they completely left out the Hobbits return to the Shire, the desecration of Hobbiton, Sauromans take over and the ensuing destruction, and the Raising of the Shire, where Sam, Frodo, Merry & Pippen gathered all the Hobbits together and ousted him by killing both him and Worm. After that is when Sam used the Lady's gift of the little box of what looked like elven dust, to set things right again. The part where Sam married Rosie, and Frodo joined Bilbo, Gandalf, and the rest of the Elves to sail off to the "Eastern Shores" was still in the movie, but the part they left out was in my opinion significant to the ending of the story. That's just my opinion, I've read the Trilogy so many times that I've lost track. I just hope that when they come out with "The Hobbit" (which is in production now) it holds as true to the Book as did the other 3 did.

7th Stepper

tnek

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    ^^^this^^^

If you don't want to watch the movie, at least buy it and give it to someone you think may watch it! This is "the movie they didn't want you to see" of the century, maybe of all time!

I gave $22 for the blueray. I will send it to you or anyone for $15.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    EXACTLY.

I've heard it said that ATLAS SHRUGGED is the 2nd most influential book in history. The HOLY BIBLE being the most influential book of all time.

I tend to believe that ATLAS SHRUGGED may well be the 2nd most influential book because it simply and plainly allows the reader to see what makes sense and that creates an awakening in the mind of the reader. While the book may be too long, and may suffer from some redundant writing, it is an amazing book.

The fact taht the book was ever made into a movie is simply shocking. Its on my gift list of things to give away to friends.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I watched the DVD last night with my wife. I wasn't displeased with it. I knew it was the first part of a trilogy. While the acting wasn't fantastic confiding the budget it was good. Some of the dialog seemed straight out of Rand's book instead of being vernacularized.

The really important part is that the concepts, the philosophy, the heart of the book are there. That's why Hollywood and the Left hate it. That's why it took nearly 15 years for the owner of the screen rights to get it made.

Part 2 is due to be produced and released next year withe Part 3 in 2013. I hope that, despite the critics and the film/theater industry opposition, they get made. The country needs a revival, perhaps this will help.

Top Bottom