• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • insidethebunker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2009
    North of Louisville
    The movie opened yesterday, 4/15, to little fanfare. Those that have read the whole book will probably like the movie. Those haven't will have a tough time with it. I saw it today and I'm glad I saw it, not over the top ecstatic, but glad.

It does tout ideas and beliefs we tend to support in this forum but I think it would be hard to fill in the blanks to the story if you don't know the book. It jumps around constantly. It's like reading the book on 78 (that's a reference to old record players for you young pups). The movie has to cover so much ground in 90 minutes (or so) that I think the movie lacks the depth it needs. The acting is pretty good. The cinematography is bland much like the book. I could have done without the gratuitous sex scene (as I could have done without it in the book). To be honest I can't see this movie costing a lot to make.

So the good. If it gives conservatives something to talk about it's good. If it gives them some fuel to talk to their liberal friends, even better.

However, I could see this movie fueling a movement... not sure but if it can get press, it just might.

I give the movie a weak thumbs up...

Last edited:

Brown

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    Brownsburg
    thanks for the review! I really enjoyed reading the book and very much looking forward to seeing the movie. hopefully tomorrow.

i would also think it a lot of ground to cover in 90-100 minutes. This is supposed to be a part 1 in a 3 part trilogy right?

insidethebunker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2009
    North of Louisville
    thanks for the review! I really enjoyed reading the book and very much looking forward to seeing the movie. hopefully tomorrow.

i would also think it a lot of ground to cover in 90-100 minutes. This is supposed to be a part 1 in a 3 part trilogy right?

Yes, I think it is a 3 parter, won't swear to it but I think so.

I just found this wiki of "who is John Galt" and really liked it.

John Galt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also some pretty cool John Galt bumper sitckers. I'll probably order 1 this week.

John Galt Bumper Stickers

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I've seen a couple movies about Ayn Rand and her life. Both seemed fixated on her sex life and were disappointing to me. Now Atlas Shrugged not being about Ayn or her life should provide for a better movie.....I haven't read the book, but am familiar with the age old tin foil hatter story about it......

Thanks for the review.

homeless

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    indy
    Atlas ranked #13 on friday in box office sales, it made 683,000 and was only released in 300 theaters, that is pretty bad ass. Especially for a movie that only cost 20mil and was shot in 37 days.

I felt like it was a bit rushed but over all I was fairly pleased with it and I can't wait for parts 2 and 3.

I am on the street team for the movie and I have a bunch of "Who is John Galt" bumper stickers and some coupons for proudproducers.com, PM me if you guys want something.

I am planning on going to see the movie again tonight in Carmel, not sure of the time, hit me up if you want a crew to roll out with.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    I've seen a couple movies about Ayn Rand and her life. Both seemed fixated on her sex life and were disappointing to me. Now Atlas Shrugged not being about Ayn or her life should provide for a better movie.....I haven't read the book, but am familiar with the age old tin foil hatter story about it......

Thanks for the review.

I missed the "age old tin foil hatter story" about "Atlas Shrugged" (I just found the book about 6 months ago.) Can you elaberate?

By the way - I LOVED the book. Hope the movie (if I ever get to see it) is even close to that good.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Gotta' love a well crafted work of fiction. Looking forward to seeing the movie when it comes out on DVD.

Funny, how some works of fiction are so true to life, huh?
    (Especially since it was written decades before today's real life (parallel) issues.)

I, too am looking forward to the DVD. :rockwoot:

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I missed the "age old tin foil hatter story" about "Atlas Shrugged" (I just found the book about 6 months ago.) Can you elaberate?

By the way - I LOVED the book. Hope the movie (if I ever get to see it) is even close to that good.
    For many years it was thought that the book was a "code". Wealthy families would allegedly place a large ornate copy on the table just inside the door of their home. When the police come door to door collecting those who are opposed to them, if they saw the book there they would leave that particular family alone. and move on to the next house.......or so I've heard.

Bummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    West side of Indy
    Funny, how some works of fiction are so true to life, huh?
    (Especially since it was written decades before today's real life (parallel) issues.)

I, too am looking forward to the DVD. :rockwoot:
    While I do agree with much of Rand's philosophy, I question her rational moral code. Not that it is a good thing, but that it actually exists in the real world version of the people she portrays. Remember that the great innovators disappeared to force a change in government so that they could return to save the nation. Today most of those characters are merely run of the mill MBAs who only care about where the next multi-million dollar bonus will come from. They are more than willing to accept, if not demand, the sacrifice of others while refusing to sacrifice themselves, which is completely counter to Rand's philosophy that nobody should sacrifice. Ultimately we're flush with James Taggarts and more than a little short on Hank Reardens. There are no real world John Galts to be found.

Why wait, it is playing at 2 theaters in indy. Show some support and come see it with us tonight in carmel

Sorry, tonight I'm at work. Plus, from what I've read this movie is just a rushed low budget tool to get money from gullible Tea Partyers. I'm hoping someone will make a serious film that explores Rand's philosophies so that we, the people, can have a full discussion about the failure of both government, and business. That seems unlikely in an environment that takes mere political entertainers like Limbaugh and Beck seriously.

But thanks for asking.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Sorry, tonight I'm at work. Plus, from what I've read this movie is just a rushed low budget tool to get money from gullible Tea Partyers.
    Actually the movie had nothing do do with making money off of gullible tea party members. There was a contractual deadline, if the deadline was not met then the producers would have lost the rights to do the movie, that would have cost them millions and lost them years the producers had invested.

As for being low budget, yes it is. At least by Hollywood standards. The movie was produced by an indie film company, not by a major studio. Then again no major studio would touch this film because of its ideological leanings.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I took a van full of teenagers to see it tonight.
    That's an easy way to blow a hundred bucks. I think I need a loan from John Galt.
    Other than that...three of them have decided to read the book before part two comes out. :)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Out on DVD last Tuesday...

This really needs to get some play/following. It's scary close to our current political climate.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    I received my copy this week. :rockwoot: Waiting for the weekend to watch it. (Friday - no school - I'll be off work and will have time to relax and focus on it more.)

Top Bottom