• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • atm-inc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Active Trauma Management, Inc will be holding a Trauma Care 1 & 2 class Saturday, October 29 in Morristown, IN (40 minutes east of Indianapolis, lodging available 20 min from facility).

There is an AAR posted under the AAR section of M4Carbine and lightfighter.

For more information Welcome to Active Trauma Management!

Contact us with any questions. info@activetraumamanagement.com

Trauma Care 1 (TC1)

In this half day class (time is approximate, we train to a standard, not a preset time limit) some of what you will learn will be care for

• Uncontrolled bleeding and shock
    • Chest trauma
    • Infectious disease in plain English
    • Patient movement
    We take a unique approach in breaking down the topics into short segments of interactive lecture and hands on skills in the classroom. We keep an instructor to student ratio that allows for personalized attention to make sure you understand what you’re doing. Using a combination of talk, demonstration, power points, and hands on we will focus on key skills that you will be able to walk away from class with and apply that day.

There is some light background given in anatomy and physiology, but the focus is on enabling you to see an injury, recognize it, then apply a solution.

There are no prerequisites for this class. It is designed for those with little to no medical / first aid training.

Cost $89

Trauma Care 2 (TC2)

This is the next level of TC 1, where you have the opportunity to apply what you learned during TC 1 in scenarios. In this half day class you will be paired with other students and taken through scenarios in which you will need to safely move to a patient, establish security, treat the patient, then move them to a safer area.

The prerequisite is Trauma Care 1.

This class will involve some moderate exertion, including lifting patients. There is no live fire. You need to be at least 21 years old for this class.

Because there are applications of security principles you will need to provide proof of no felony record in the form of a police report from the Indiana State web site Indiana State Police - Limited Criminal History Search or a valid “license to carry handgun" or "carrying concealed weapon" permit from your state of residence. Application for a "license to carry handgun" can be made through your local law enforcement department. We are compliant with US Department of State ITAR regulations.

We are not associated in any way with the State of Indiana or the Indiana state police.

Cost $89

Trauma Care 1 and 2

$159 if you sign up for TC 1 and 2 during the same day. If there is room and you decide to add TC 2 while in the class you can sign up on site. We accept paypal or visa/mc.​

atm-inc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    What time are you planning on starting and finishing?

I'm going to make this happen, and I was wondering if I needed lodging.

Thanks,

Tinman....

Start time is 9:00 am. Our days tend to run close to nine hours. I don't set an absolute end time, I like working to a standard instead of trying to rush people out and cut corners. Having said that, if someone needs to leave early we can work with them.

I'd suggest getting a hotel for the night before depending on how far north you're coming from. The drive back is usually easier especially if we end when the bulk of rush hour traffic is done.

When the app is sent in we send out lodging and payment info.

It sounds like we were in a class together before. I'm looking forward to meeting you again. :yesway:

Thanks.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    couple questions. one I saw TC2 requires lifting, are there provisions for people with physical limitations? and two can you post the links to the AAR's? I'm not a member of either site mentioned. thanks.

atm-inc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    couple questions. one I saw TC2 requires lifting, are there provisions for people with physical limitations? and two can you post the links to the AAR's? I'm not a member of either site mentioned. thanks.

Hi Tyler,

1. We can work around a problem lifting. That's not an issue. If needed we can talk more about this off line.
    2. See below for the AAR from lightfighter. You need to be a member to view them, the text below is quoted. [Mods, please edit if needed.]
    Let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,
    Bayan

17 August 2011 11:37 Basic trauma care is the oft-neglected leg of the Holey Triad: Poke Holes; Prevent Holes; Plug Holes. My introduction to trauma care was Doc Gunn’s one-day Boone County class. Good basic trauma care training is something that has been difficult to find and schedule for our whole family.

Pat Rogers recently stated, “We require BOK for all students in the shoot house class. In 2012, they will be required for all carbine classes as well.” It goes without saying that having a BOK means little without the skill sets to employ its contents.

Enter Bayan Dakuginow (LF DAK), owner of as well as lead instructor for Active Trauma Management, Inc. We first met The Mongrrrorian back in 2004 at an EAG COC class at Boone County. Of him, Pat says he “is a rock solid shooter and teaches a great trauma management course.”

After a brief discussion during the July COC 2, we engaged him to journey down to our Southern Indiana homestead to conduct his Trauma Care 1 class for Clan Paskey on Saturday, 13 August. Accompanying Bayan was his able assistant, Brad Trittipo, a fellow LFer and Indiana police officer. As with most classes, the organizer’s seat was gratis and we paid the standard $89.00 per student. This is a bargain.

Bayan offers Trauma Care 1 with the option of taking Trauma Care 2:

Trauma Care 1 and 2 - what to do in the event of violent trauma, active shooter, home invasion, or robbery. We cover some of the fundamental principles of security, moving to a patient, then treating the patient.

We opted for TC 1 only due to constraints of this year’s training budget. Our primary focus would be bleeding control and chest wounds along with a very basic overview of dealing with airway clearance resulting from an potential incident here at the farm.

Prior to class, Dad requested that, for the most part, Bayan instruct using the same materials we have in our medical kits: Olaes dressings, Israeli dressings, CAT tourniquets, TK-4 tourniquets, H and H Compressed Gauze, Asherman Seal and QuikClot Combat Gauze. We agreed that skill sets take second place to gear; however, it makes sense to train with the gear normally employed.

Bayan speaks in plain English. He uses the Socratic method for teaching, asking trainees questions to show they actually know more than they think and building confidence as he explains the course material. As Dad remarked, unlike law school professors, he neither hides the ball nor leaves it in his office. His goal is to impart solid knowledge and skill sets for its use.

The context for the training was that security comes first. Whatever situation which occurred must be dealt with before treating the wounded. Everyone in the Clan understands this. Then treat the casualty and call EMS or get them to the hospital.

Bayan provided each of us with a copy of the Indiana Good Samaritan Statute. He gave no legal advice concerning it. He simply encouraged us to study it and consider its implications if we were ever faced with a real casualty. This led to a discussion of duty, if any, to provide care someone injured by one of us exercising lawful use of deadly physical force. Between the paramedic, the police officer and the lawyer present, no one knew of any.

Next came a discussion of blood-borne pathogens, their sources and how minimize exposure: Wear gloves, wash hands and keep your fingers away from orifices or open skin.

Roughly two thirds of our time was spent on bleeding control. Bayan would introduce a portion of the topic with Power Point projections, demonstrate the pertinent skill set to the nine of us around the dining room table. After questions, we’d head to the living room to perform what we had just been taught. It was always taught in the context of buddy aid first so we could help each other followed by self aid, after we knew better how to perform the task.

Direct pressure methods were covered first, using each type of dressing and then field expedient devices. This approach showed that we understood how bleeding works and what was required to stop it. Then, always, assess. Determine what needs to be done next.

Pressure points were briefly discussed; however, the focus was direct pressure methods of bleeding control. If the dressing were to bleed through, options of using the first dressing for packing so as not to lose those valuable clotting factors that have soaked into it or packing with hemostatic gauze and covering with another dressing.

For arterial/massive bleeding from an extremity, going straight to the tourniquet was offered as a very good approach. Bayan prefers a ratchet device; however, he said our CATs were good to go. As for the TK-4, no justification of its uses in addition to use as a tourniquet would sway him that it was of any use. Again, we applied each to our training buddy to learn proper placement. Then we applied it to ourselves on each extremity.

Bayan would check pulses so each person would experience just how tight and how much discomfort is required to stop the flow of blood.

Just under one-third of our training dealt with chest wounds and their immediate treatment. He had two good video clips so all hands had some idea what they would look like. Looking for exit wounds was stressed. Duct tape was used to secure an occlusive dressing (the covering from an Asherman seal) to a volunteer. My Mom was astonished that it was stickier than medical tape (or the adhesive on the back of the Asherman itself.)

Again, the key was understanding what was the goal, in this case, preventing air from entering the chest cavity. As we had with things which could be used as field expedient tourniquets, Bayan went around the table asking each person to point to something in the room which could be used for an occlusive dressing. Thinking outside the box was encouraged.

Finally, Bayan spent about fifteen minutes on methods of clearing the airway. He demonstrated both the textbook and street methods of head tilt chin lift. He then bravely let each of us perform them on him. The theory of and insertion methods for nasopharyngeal airways (NPA) were covered as well as a very brief description of symptoms of tension pneumothorax. Use of a decompression needle for its treatment was described but outside the scope of training provided. We did not stick needles between beef ribs but instead used the meat to feed our instructors after a great class.

In all, we accomplished the goal of providing each family member with the same baseline knowledge. Perfect practice makes permanent is only useful when the skills are learned properly the first time.

My Mom said that she felt confident that she could now, with practice, use the items from the medical kits found in our cars or around the house and out buildings. Priceless!

At the end of the class, Bayan asked each person to relate one solid skill they carried away. We first experienced this technique in John Chapman’s No Light/No Light Class last March. Pat did it as well after the July COC 2. This is a great way, in my view, for an instructor to determine if he is really getting across his material. It is also a source for students to make notes to help remember what others did take away that, perhaps, they had missed.

Active Trauma Management, Inc. will travel 6-8 hour from Central Indiana to provide training to motivated (and sufficiently numerous) students. Its other course is

Range Safety Trauma Care 1 and 2 - we look at some of the day to day moderate to severe injuries you can run into whenever you have people mixed with firearms (or sharp things). We also look at assisting you with a range emergency plan and assembling a first aid bag.

You can get more information and contact Bayan through his web site:

Welcome to Active Trauma Management!

For anyone Bayan’s AO, I highly recommend the training he offers.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I would just like to state for the record that Bayan and Brad (both longtime INGO'ers under other screen names before ATM Inc. was founded) have their **** wired tight. I haven't taken this particular class, but wouldn't hesitate to be a part of any instruction these guys are putting together.

Glad to see you promoting your new venture here on INGO! :yesway: :ingo:

atm-inc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    I would just like to state for the record that Bayan and Brad (both longtime INGO'ers under other screen names before ATM Inc. was founded) have their **** wired tight. I haven't taken this particular class, but wouldn't hesitate to be a part of any instruction these guys are putting together.

Glad to see you promoting your new venture here on INGO! :yesway: :ingo:

Mark,
    thank's for the complement! It's good to be here, we've had a warm welcome. Hope to see you in a class in the future.

Bayan

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'll vouch for Bayan and Brad as well. I've not been a student of theirs (yet), but I've trained beside both of them for many hours. You're going to get a good class from them.

atm-inc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Joe, thanks for the complement. I sent an e-mail but didn't post here and wanted to correct that.

We're 30 days out and have a few seats available. Soo......bump.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Anyone that is on the fence about taking this course should sign up and go. I was in a class that Bayan taught on Monday (thanks for driving up to teach us, it was great). This is a course that anyone that is into shooting sports, hunting, or just recreational shooting should definitely attend. I really can't say enough good things about it.

atm-inc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Thanks for the feedback. It was a pleasure to work with you guys! Your group's level of motivation makes things worthwhile and helps keep me going.

I hope to get the chance to work with you again in the future (without the mounting :rolleyes: lol)! Let me know if I can do anything for you.

Bayan

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    Are you going to have anymore classes this year? Ever come down to the Bloomington / Southern IN area, not really important, just hard to schedule time early enough to make the drive.... what can I say, I like my sleep! :D

I noticed on the application you ask for make/model of firearm(s) how many should we bring?

atm-inc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Are you going to have anymore classes this year? Ever come down to the Bloomington / Southern IN area, not really important, just hard to schedule time early enough to make the drive.... what can I say, I like my sleep! :D

I noticed on the application you ask for make/model of firearm(s) how many should we bring?

Hi Japartridge,
    after October there are no scheduled classes for 2011. If there's a group of people that is interested we can work out a class date.

We do occasionally come down to southern Indiana. The last time was Seymour in August.

You can bring as many as you like. :D Seriously though, this is for people who use a long gun and a pistol as a backup, either by choice or job description.

Thanks.

http://activetraumamanagement.com/
    info@activetraumamanagement.com

Last edited:

Tinman

I'm just enjoying the show!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I attended this class this weekend, and just wanted to give some quick feedback (full AAR forthcoming). It was a great fundamental class that I feel anyone who owns or carries a gun would get benefit from.

If you can catch up with these guys, do so. You won't be disappointed.

Tinman....

Top Bottom