• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Talk about close to home. I go through that intersection multiple times a day.

How quick could all of you draw your gun, while buckled up in your car?

http://nwitimes.com/news/local/porter/article_2fab6552-2d0c-54da-9fde-c49e2b9f8685.html?mode=story
    Women report robbery attempt

Victims were stopped near Porter's Vale shopping center

VALPARAISO | Three women were stopped for a traffic light Friday night at Ind. 2 and Porter's Vale Boulevard told police a robber approached their car and opened the front passenger's door in an apparent attempt to take the passenger's purse.

The passenger was able to drop her purse from her lap and use both hands to pull the car door shut, and the driver pulled forward. The robber nearly fell as the women's car pulled away, then he got into a car and fled.

Police checked the area, but couldn't locate the robber.

The suspect is described as a 20-year-old white male, 5-foot-8 and 130 pounds, with sandy blond hair, crooked teeth and no facial hair. He was wearing baggy blue jeans or camouflage pants, a camouflage hooded sweatshirt and a dark stocking hat. He was seen getting into the passenger side of a dark pickup truck with large tires and a raised body.

Police said the backseat passenger screamed as the robber approached shortly before 8 p.m. Friday. Police said the robber pulled on the car door handle so hard that he broke it. The driver told police she was able to drive away, but nearly struck another vehicle while escaping.

Anyone with information about the crime is asked to call Valparaiso police at (219) 462-2135 or the WeTip hot line at (800) 78-CRIME.

Last edited:

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    man, what a perfect chance for a good shoot.

I was in fear of my life when the crackhead opened my door. ;)

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    The suspect is described as a 20-year-old white male, 5-foot-8 and 130 pounds, with sandy blond hair, crooked teeth and no facial hair.
    Hey rambone are they not describing you? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Just kidding. Stay safe out there. Here I thought valpo was "safer" than Hammond/EC/Gary. Guess the badness is spreading. :dunno:

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    How quick could all of you draw your gun, while buckled up in your car?

Very quickly. Once I get in my truck, my gun goes right next to me in a nylon holster jammed between my seat and the middle one - for this exact reason.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    Hey rambone are they not describing you? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Just kidding. Stay safe out there. Here I thought valpo was "safer" than Hammond/EC/Gary. Guess the badness is spreading. :dunno:

I am sure if most of the section 8 apartment complexes on Vale Park burned down most of Valpo would throw a party. A large amount of time and money is spent in that general area.

I was talking to a checker at Wally World who said she was moving over there because the rent is based on your income, I told her I didn't think that was a good area and why, the guy behind me overheard and told her he agreed. She asked what made him so sure... He was the Valpo Police Chief!!!!

I almost crapped when he said that, it was kinda nice to know local LEO felt the same way about as I did.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Very quickly. Once I get in my truck, my gun goes right next to me in a nylon holster jammed between my seat and the middle one - for this exact reason.

I'm having a brain fart but is deadly force in this case (OP's article in which someone attempts to car jack you) legal? (IE. Are you justified in shooting the carjacker?)

I think the answer is yes but don't recall anymore.

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I'm having a brain fart but is deadly force in this case (OP's article in which someone attempts to car jack you) legal? (IE. Are you justified in shooting the carjacker?)

I personally would not use the truck as justification to use deadly force. However, placed in that situation it would either be justifiable for me or the criminal would leave.

I know that you can't plan every scenario, but I like to envision a situation like this when thinking of the legalities of using deadly force in a car-jacking:

1. I am in vehicle, doors locked ALWAYS
    2. Someone comes up to window and tells me to get out or something like that
    3. I say no
    4. They could either A: leave, or B: escalate the situation
    5. If they escalate the situation its most likely going to be by force or threat of force. That could possibly give me the go light to react accordingly.
    Basically, I am not going to just give up my truck because they ask. If they don't like this and attempt/threaten violence with a weapon, then its not going to be a good situation.

IANAL, but hopefully something like this would be legal (I'm pretty sure it would be) because that's how I would react - the BG took it upon himself to threaten/use violence. Like I said, that's just one situation. It's one that puts me in direct danger.

Lets do another example:

1. I unlock my truck
    2. Before entering, I get hit from behind and go blank for a couple seconds.
    3. In this time, the car-jacker gets my keys and gets in my truck and locks the doors and begins to take off (granted he would be acting very fast)
    In this situation I would not use my gun. The truck can be replaced, nobody is in danger. Leave it up to the cops at that point.

Trpanther

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Yes, is ok to shoot someone trying to carjack you. I live in Indianapolis and about two years ago there was a big problem with carjackings as well as people braking window out of cars at red lights to grab what ever was in the front seat of your car. One of these carjackers tried to carjack someones car at a shell station on 25th and keystone. The carjakie pulled his gun and shot him, he was not arrested or charged for the shooting. Not saying I would, but legally you could.

Buckaroo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    NWI

Well, you snatch my car door open and I am going to assume you are doing so to harm me and I will respond appropriately.

Buckaroo

Jim W.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Brownsburg area
    Years ago a BG reached into my uncles truck window. My uncle ran the window up and locked the BG's arm in it. then dragged him down the street a few hundred feet and then dropped the window down while going around 30 MPH. When he fell off he just kept on going. Don't know how hurt the BG was.

Glocker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    So from what I'm getting from the replies is that if the car jacker is not armed its best to not use deadly force but lets just say he had a bat or crowbar and already has your door opened? Or even inside of your car telling you to get out?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    I was talking to a checker at Wally World who said she was moving over there because the rent is based on your income, I told her I didn't think that was a good area and why, the guy behind me overheard and told her he agreed. She asked what made him so sure... He was the Valpo Police Chief!!!!

I almost crapped when he said that, it was kinda nice to know local LEO felt the same way about as I did.

Years ago When I was looking for an apartment in Greenwood, I called the Police and asked them what apartment complexes to avoid. They were more than happy to give me that info.

Top Bottom