• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    ...She turns around and sees that one of the men has unbuckled the child and was lifting him/her out of the cart. She yells at the man, he drops the child, and makes a sprint to the door. ....

IMHO, this scenario is about as possible as aliens or zombies. Which are also fun to think about.

Trying to be sensitive to what's going on with that missing toddler, but stranger child-kidnappings are exceedingly rare. From a public place, even more rare. In my "experience" and reading, at least.

Putting groceries away? More likely to get robbed/carjacked.

Shopping? More likely to get purse stolen/pickpocketed.

I'm all for mental preparedness, but some scenarios are really nothing more than daydreaming. (Thank God.)

Well, I sit somewhat corrected (and will have to be careful about my rhetorical flourishes).

Attempted child abduction caught on camera at Florida Dollar Gen - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

A man tried to kidnap a 13-year-old girl from a Dollar General in Hernando, Florida Tuesday and it was all caught on camera.
    The suspect, Craig Bonello, was seen walking over to the aisle where the girl and her mother were shopping. He then grabbed the girl and tried dragging her out of the store. A tug-of-war ensued between Bonello and the girl's mother before Bonello let go and ran out of the store.

Chilling video.

Had I been shopping with one of my kids about that age, the "tug of war" would've lasted about 15 seconds, then it would've turned into whatever they call that carnival game where you shoot things.

ETA:
    From an SA perspective, the video is good because it shows the guy psyching himself up right beforehand. He was likely acting predatory before that, too.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Well, I sit somewhat corrected (and will have to be careful about my rhetorical flourishes).

If something has a one in ten million chance of happening to a person daily, 30 people have it happen to them in the US each day...

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    If something has a one in ten million chance of happening to a person daily, 30 people have it happen to them in the US each day...

I would take this opportunity to argue stats and predictive analyses with you about situations like this, but I'm trying to tone down my confrontationalism. Especially in this thread. :)

I'll just say that I seriously doubt there have been 30 stranger-abducts-child-from-public-place events today. ;)

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I went to google some numbers, because it didn't quite seem right to label abduction by strangers as "rare". Not nearly as common as abduction by family perhaps, but maybe a bit more than "rare," for my understanding of "rare."

So at first google, this is not as easy to come up with as one might think. It seems that many initial sources point back to "NISMART-2", which is a DOJ study finally published in 2003, covering the 1997-1999 (mostly 1999) time period. Congress passed a law in 1984 directing the DOJ to produce a report on missing children, and the DOJ does that, roughly...very roughly... once every 10 years or so. The first was in 1988. The next one, NISMART-2, was started in 1999 and as I noted, not published until about 2003. The DOJ released a request for agencies to sign up for a grant to conduct NISMART-3 in 2010...but I haven't yet found out if it was ever done.

OK, some numbers from NISMART-2. The figures in brackets are my calculations based on the number or percentage given in the fact sheet I consulted.

- Total number of children who were missing from their caretakers in 1999 (i.e., their caretakers did not know their whereabouts and were alarmed for at least an hour while trying to locate them) is estimated to be 1,315,600.
    - 797,500 [60.6%] of missing children were reported to police or missing children agencies

- 1,312,800 or 99.8 percent of those children returned home or were located.
    - 0.2 percent or 2,500 of all caretaker missing children had not returned home or been located, and the vast majority of these were runaways from institutions who had been identified in the survey of juvenile residential facilities.
    - 48% [631,488]of the children missing from their caretakers were missing because they ran away
    - 28% [367584] of the children missing from their caretakers were missing because they were lost or injured
    - 9% [115,182] were abducted by family members
    - 3% [39,468] were abducted by non-family members

However, the fact sheet goes on to say that 58,200 children were abducted by non-family numbers; I don't know how that squares with the 3% cited earlier, which is only 39,468. Since I am going off of a summary, I suspect a transition between population groups was left out.

In any case, at least for the year 1999, it could be said considering missing children in general, abduction is not common (12%) and abduction by stranger is rare, but when speaking of abducted children, abduction by stranger is certainly not rare, it is at least 25% (of abductees), maybe more.
    Also, there are the 2500 children who were never located. Probably not all abducted, but can't be ruled out either.

Source: http://www.pollyklaas.org/media/pdf/NISMARTIIhighlights.pdf

ETA:

I forgot to put in: There is a narrowly defined "stereotypical kidnapping" category also, the number of which I have seen bandied about, and now that I understand the definition, seems a bit stilted. The definition is

During the study year, there were an estimated 115 stereotypical
    kidnappings, defined as abductions perpetrated by a
    stranger or slight acquaintance and involving a child who was
    transported 50 or more miles, detained overnight, held for ransom

or with intent to keep the child permanently, or killed.

So I guess that if you nap a kid for ransom, but only take him across the street, it's not a "stereotypical" kidnapping?

Anyway, the outcomes for a "stereotypical kidnapping" are grim: 40% killed, 4% never located, and 50% sexually assaulted.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I would take this opportunity to argue stats and predictive analyses with you about situations like this, but I'm trying to tone down my confrontationalism. Especially in this thread. :)

I'll just say that I seriously doubt there have been 30 stranger-abducts-child-from-public-place events today. ;)

I didn't say those were the acutal odds, just an illustration that even something with a very low chance of happening happens to someone. With global news and a 24 hour news cycle, the rare seems commonplace, though.

So I guess that if you nap a kid for ransom, but only take him across the street, it's not a "stereotypical" kidnapping?

"Or" not "and".

Top Bottom