• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Please enlighten me on this beer window. And where to get one installed on my truck.

After growing up and living in rural areas of Indiana, Oklahoma, and Texas, I'm believe he is referring to the sliding glass window you can get as the rear window on many pickups. You leave it open so you can toss the empties into the bed of the truck. I've never heard it called a beer window but I have seen it used like that.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    After growing up and living in rural areas of Indiana, Oklahoma, and Texas, I'm believe he is referring to the sliding glass window you can get as the rear window on many pickups. You leave it open so you can toss the empties into the bed of the truck. I've never heard it called a beer window but I have seen it used like that.
    This is correct! :):

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

It's what I imagined it was.
    Only I thought it was to give a beer to the guys riding in the bed of the truck as you drive. :):
    It can probably be used for both empty and full beer cans.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Generally speaking, the cooler stayed in the back of the truck. This was back before the proliferation of the extended cab pickup. Also, if you didn't have a bunch of junk in the bed of the truck to hold the cooler within reach of the beer window, and the cooler slid to the side or the back, some strategic breaking or swerving was in order.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Generally speaking, the cooler stayed in the back of the truck. This was back before the proliferation of the extended cab pickup. Also, if you didn't have a bunch of junk in the bed of the truck to hold the cooler within reach of the beer window, and the cooler slid to the side or the back, some strategic breaking or swerving was in order.

It was probably also before it was illegal to drink beer and drive at the same time. :dunno:

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    It wasn't legal to drink and drive

Probably why you had to buy your beer holder as an aftermarket accessory.

312700d1495383076-another-cup-holder-thread-527cdb608d3320429de75ecf8e962350.jpg

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    It wasn't legal to drink and drive, but I never knew of anybody getting busted for drinking and riding.

When I came to Texas in 1998 there was no open container law. You could drink and drive, you just couldn't be drunk and drive.
    T'is no longer the case.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    When I came to Texas in 1998 there was no open container law. You could drink and drive, you just couldn't be drunk and drive.
    T'is no longer the case.

I don't think we have any "no open container" law over here.Especially for passengers.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I don't think we have any "no open container" law over here.Especially for passengers.

You know, I lived in Germany for six years and never thought about that. It seemed the European laws on drinking and driver became stricter well ahead of the US, but never thought actually drinking in the car as a passenger.

Did a lot of it on the bus and/or the train, while on the way to Val d'Isere, tho. :)

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    You know, I lived in Germany for six years and never thought about that. It seemed the European laws on drinking and driver became stricter well ahead of the US, but never thought actually drinking in the car as a passenger.

Did a lot of it on the bus and/or the train, while on the way to Val d'Isere, tho. :)

I often see people drinking beer in their car at lunch (parked, not driving).
    Even as the driver as long as you're bellow the legal limit it's not illegal.
    I actually think the limit is stricted in some US states.It's almost zero in some states especially if you just got your licence.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    T'is no longer the case.

It was legal in IN up until the mid to late 90s also. Then it was changed to iirc that the driver couldn't be drinking but passengers were allowed. Now...
    (1) A container possessed by a person, other than the operator of the motor vehicle, who is in the:

(A) passenger compartment of a motor vehicle designed, maintained, or used primarily for the transportation of persons for compensation;  or

(B) living quarters of a house coach or house trailer.

(2) A container located in a fixed center console or other similar fixed compartment that is locked.

(3) A container located:
    (A) behind the last upright seat;  or

(B) in an area not normally occupied by a person;

in a motor vehicle that is not equipped with a trunk.

But it's only a class c infraction that is not a moving violation and with no points.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    IF you can stand in front of your house, and hit a two legged varmint standing at the end of your drive with a popular 9mm pistole, you live too close to town. And the subsequent concentration of aforementioned two legged varmints.

Top Bottom