• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Militarypol21

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    Anyone know of any kayaking classes (paid or free) planned for this spring/summer? I'd really like to learn some rolling techniques but would rather learn from a professional (or someone that knows what they are doing) instead of doing it wrong which could lead to drowning.

Thanks for your input :ingo:.

Militarypol21

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    Dave -- If you haven't yet, you may want to check with Hoosier Canoe Club. I know they've had classes in past. Good Luck, Greg

Thanks, I sent them an email over a week ago and haven't gotten anything back yet. They have Wednesday night classes at a pool that looks interesting but according to the policy its for HCC members and their one time guest only. I'm not gonna join a membership for a one time class unless its crazy cheap.

Might have to just take it out to the local lake and roll it on my own and hope for the best haha.

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    Just roll in shallow water and make sure the spray skirt is off! Ha. Just got my wife a new Wilderness Systems Pungo kayak for her birthday. Told her she needed to learn to roll in it when she asked why I explained that I can't do all the cooking and cleaning around here by myself. Still didn't get it....

Militarypol21

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    Here ya go!!

Home - Eagle Creek Kayaks, Indianapolis Fishing and Recreational Kayak Shop

Mark Dixon runs this company and will let you demo a Yak before buying. Also, I'm sure Mark will give you all the info you need to know as he understands how to take care of his customers!!!!

Thanks. I have a whitewater kayak and all the needed gear (i.e. skirt, paddle, vest) and have been out quite a few times. I just pretty much threw it in the water one day and hopped in and learned the basics on my own. But I have never rolled it and would like some guidance so I dont end up killing myself. I'll get ahold of this mark guy and hopefully he can lead me in the direction I need to go.

MarkM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Rolling is simple I've had to do it in the everglades. All you do is cross your legs and extend your body out straight the pressure of the water flowing into the kayak will push you out, and if you have a vest you will float to the top but I'm no expert I'm just sharing how I was tought. Have fun keep safe and always where you're helmet

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I dont want to end up like you the first time you got in your kayak and rolled under a tree after only being in the water 20 seconds. :D

True, but now I know! After catching my breath on the bank and emptying the water from the kayak, I got back in it and continued down the river. The key is persistence, if you don't die the first time anyway. :D

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Rolling is simple I've had to do it in the everglades. All you do is cross your legs and extend your body out straight the pressure of the water flowing into the kayak will push you out, and if you have a vest you will float to the top but I'm no expert I'm just sharing how I was tought. Have fun keep safe and always where you're helmet

That doesn't sound like rolling a kayak. Nifty way of exiting one though if the roll fails.....:D

Militarypol21

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    That doesn't sound like rolling a kayak. Nifty way of exiting one though if the roll fails.....:D

Yeah I cant cross my legs in mine as there is a 4" piece of foam going from the tip of the kayak to the seat. I thought you braised your legs and knees against the sides and use your leg muscles along with your arms to flip back over.. but I'll be finding out for sure very shortly.

Top Bottom