ATTENTION SOUTH HAVEN (VALPARAISO/PORTAGE TOWNSHIP) RESIDENTS: SEWER RATE INCREASE!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • evilblackrifle

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Portage, IN
    I received a letter from Aqua Indiana, Inc., indicating they filed a petition to increase the monthly cost of Sewer (only) service from $66.89 to $79.90 per month. This DOES NOT include water.

Trying to get a petition together to try to stop this. If anyone lives/works in the area, this will effect you.

For a family, this may not be a huge deal, but for a single person, a $13.01 increase stings. How much can I possibly flush?

An alternative might be a monthly fee based on total usage, instead of a flat rate for everyone, maybe capping it at $79.90.

If anyone is interested, please reply to this thread or PM me.

Thanks,

Erick

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    Dude everytime I am in town I can come over and drop a huge deuce!!! That will teach them a lesson!!

Feel for you. Cost me $3500 for my septic when I built my house, thank god I have it though I don't have a outrageous monthly bill like that.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I received a letter from Aqua Indiana, Inc., indicating they filed a petition to increase the monthly cost of Sewer (only) service from $66.89 to $79.90 per month. This DOES NOT include water.

Trying to get a petition together to try to stop this. If anyone lives/works in the area, this will effect you.

For a family, this may not be a huge deal, but for a single person, a $13.01 increase stings. How much can I possibly flush?

An alternative might be a monthly fee based on total usage, instead of a flat rate for everyone, maybe capping it at $79.90.

If anyone is interested, please reply to this thread or PM me.

Thanks,

Erick

Just curious, are you a flat-rate now, or do you pay a base charge and a flow(treatment) charge? When was the last time your rates went up? Are they proposing any capital improvement project(s)?

evilblackrifle

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Portage, IN
    Where's the petition?

I can have one done in an Excel Spreadsheet in a matter of minutes...

Just curious, are you a flat-rate now, or do you pay a base charge and a flow(treatment) charge? When was the last time your rates went up? Are they proposing any capital improvement project(s)?

We're all flat rate...same cost if you flush once or flush 1,000 times...whatever you can dump into it.

Last I heard, rates went up in 2006 when South Haven Sewer owned it. Then Aqua took over in 2008. But, I moved here in January, 2008, so I can't say for sure if the last increase is accurate. Just going on what my neighbor has told me.

I have yet to see any improvements made...The edges (curb side) of the street floods at the slightest rainfall, neighbors on both sides of me have drainage issues when there's a massive rain storm. My house/yard is bone dry. I don't even need a sump pump.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I can have one done in an Excel Spreadsheet in a matter of minutes...

We're all flat rate...same cost if you flush once or flush 1,000 times...whatever you can dump into it.

Last I heard, rates went up in 2006 when South Haven Sewer owned it. Then Aqua took over in 2008. But, I moved here in January, 2008, so I can't say for sure if the last increase is accurate. Just going on what my neighbor has told me.

I have yet to see any improvements made...The edges (curb side) of the street floods at the slightest rainfall, neighbors on both sides of me have drainage issues when there's a massive rain storm. My house/yard is bone dry. I don't even need a sump pump.

From reading a couple of filings with the IURC, it appears that they are doing a $200k project to prevent stormwater from entering the wastewater system. Other than that, it appears that their operating expenses have gone up (they claim), and they have made some capital improvements to the system that are not included in the rate base. I think they are asking for a 14% or so increase.

**This is only my impression from skimming two of the filings with the IURC. I am in no way, shape or form affiliated with the Petitioner or the IURC. I also do not live in the area served by the Petitioner.**

evilblackrifle

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Portage, IN
    From reading a couple of filings with the IURC, it appears that they are doing a $200k project to prevent stormwater from entering the wastewater system. Other than that, it appears that their operating expenses have gone up (they claim), and they have made some capital improvements to the system that are not included in the rate base. I think they are asking for a 14% or so increase.

**This is only my impression from skimming two of the filings with the IURC. I am in no way, shape or form affiliated with the Petitioner or the IURC. I also do not live in the area served by the Petitioner.**

Still, $80/month is out of control!!

evilblackrifle

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Portage, IN
    After talking to them on Friday, they said this proposed increase was to be in compliance with the EPA, and less for "capital improvements and maintenance". They acquired the current system in 2008, and I'm sorry, but they should've forced the old company to become EPA compliant before acquisition, and not increase our rates because they bought a sewer system that was not EPA compliant. Ridiculous!

Top Bottom