• techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Mar 14, 2008
    HOLY MOLY LOOK AT THIS!

8746240902_517854ec9a_b.jpg

8746815336_0f6de7d8ec_b.jpg

This is the first of our 2013 Industry Shoots and it is going to be a ball!

We will be spending 2 days shooting free ammo from Wolf Performance Arms and doing it at KD distances. We will also be carrying everything we use, and bringing nothing other than what we absolutely need.
    Each attendee gets 250 free rounds of ammo for their own rifle and on Sunday we will get the chance to test out some 308 Veprs, some .223 Tavors, and some other rifle goodies coming along to us with our sponsors who will be at the shoot.

This is a very exciting bit of news and there are only 40 slots. We expect the event to fill up very quickly as there is no previous attendance required and even though we will try and keep any of our instructors from signing up as shooters - the 40 slots will fill up pretty quick.

The requirements & rules for the event are specific since it is on a US army base and they have to be followed to the letter. You can find them here:

https://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=35705.0

Come and find out what your rifle can do when it gets to lay in grass and dirt; not on a mat.
    Come and find out what your gear can do when you have to keep it to a luggable minimum.
    Come and fine out what you can do when you have to walk it and you for two full days.

Move quick or lose your chance at this unique event opportunity and the free ammo that comes with it!

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    Oh I SO want to be there, but my daughter's first child is due then. I really want to do another KD, and shoot with the big boys, but it doesn't look like I'll make this one. :(

Kirkd

Expert
    Mar 22, 2013
    Greenwood
    Ive never been before and have a busy day already on Sat. Can you sign up for Sunday only? Is that advisable if I have never been?

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Mar 8, 2012
    Kirkd - Sunday only is not going to work. The reason is this, you have to have your poop sorted out and strapped up pretty tight to keep up on Sunday without having the knowledge from Saturday. People tell Appleseed all the time they have themselves sorted out enough to skip Saturday, and every volunteer for Appleseed on this forum and almost all of the attendees on this forum will tell you that its simply not the case.

Its not a personal condemnation, its not chest thumpery, its just that 95 out of 100 first time Appleseed attendees cannot hold centerfire to 4MOA without a benchrest, bipod, or sandbag and don't know their sling, gear, or sighting system well enough. Like I said, not trying to beat anybody down but that is exactly what Saturday is for, to prepare people for Sunday. People like SDH or Rayne can attest to what I have said.

We aren't tyrants and everything is negotiable, but the time monkey does not exist at Atterbury, he is a 900 pound robotic time GORILLA in body armor with a giant war ax and the only way to kill him is with well placed rifle shot to the mouth hole in his helmet. We simply can't wait on Sunday for the skills that needed to be developed on Saturday. This is not a plinking day.

Atterbury is ferserious. This course of fire is that exacting. This is the concept of the Rifleman distilled down to its most elemental. Its carrying everything you brought. Its getting to know yourself and your rifle and your gear in the most essential way. Its about discovering the focus to be able to get down with your rifle in the most fundamental way and become a purpose built machine. Its about being able to collect data honestly and use that data to improve. Its about testing yourself against yourself and starting out on the road to seeing if you measure up to the Riflemen who came before you.

What we are doing here is why the 178th FA at Ft. Stewart asked Appleseed to train their outfit before deployment to the sand box.

Appleseed at Atterbury is, for lack of a better term, purity. I hope you can reconsider your Saturday plans and make it out with us. We are going to have an awesome time. We are going to learn, sweat, and get better. We are going to take steps to make ourselves our own perfect person. We're going to hear the story of how this country really began, and we are going to get sorted out.

Hope to see you there.

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Mar 8, 2012
    I saw you signed up, Doc. We're gonna have a blast. What're you going to bring?

Kirkd

Expert
    Mar 22, 2013
    Greenwood
    Kirkd - Sunday only is not going to work. The reason is this, you have to have your poop sorted out and strapped up pretty tight to keep up on Sunday without having the knowledge from Saturday. People tell Appleseed all the time they have themselves sorted out enough to skip Saturday, and every volunteer for Appleseed on this forum and almost all of the attendees on this forum will tell you that its simply not the case.

Its not a personal condemnation, its not chest thumpery, its just that 95 out of 100 first time Appleseed attendees cannot hold centerfire to 4MOA without a benchrest, bipod, or sandbag and don't know their sling, gear, or sighting system well enough. Like I said, not trying to beat anybody down but that is exactly what Saturday is for, to prepare people for Sunday. People like SDH or Rayne can attest to what I have said.

We aren't tyrants and everything is negotiable, but the time monkey does not exist at Atterbury, he is a 900 pound robotic time GORILLA in body armor with a giant war ax and the only way to kill him is with well placed rifle shot to the mouth hole in his helmet. We simply can't wait on Sunday for the skills that needed to be developed on Saturday. This is not a plinking day.

Atterbury is ferserious. This course of fire is that exacting. This is the concept of the Rifleman distilled down to its most elemental. Its carrying everything you brought. Its getting to know yourself and your rifle and your gear in the most essential way. Its about discovering the focus to be able to get down with your rifle in the most fundamental way and become a purpose built machine. Its about being able to collect data honestly and use that data to improve. Its about testing yourself against yourself and starting out on the road to seeing if you measure up to the Riflemen who came before you.

What we are doing here is why the 178th FA at Ft. Stewart asked Appleseed to train their outfit before deployment to the sand box.

Appleseed at Atterbury is, for lack of a better term, purity. I hope you can reconsider your Saturday plans and make it out with us. We are going to have an awesome time. We are going to learn, sweat, and get better. We are going to take steps to make ourselves our own perfect person. We're going to hear the story of how this country really began, and we are going to get sorted out.

Hope to see you there.

Unfortunely, it's a wedding, not for me, but for a close friend. Maybe I'll catch another one at a different location.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I'm going to try again to bring the battle rifle and leave the varmint upper at home (or bring it as a backup). Colt AR15 lower, upper; DD CHF 16" 5.56 barrel with Troy rail and iron sights. Nothing fancy. I do have a smaller front sight post though. Kind of like changing to a smaller dot in a red dot. I found out last time that the stock front site "ball" totally obliterates the target at 300-400 yards. Also this time I'll bring my brain when it comes to keeping track of windage adjustments. :n00b: :D

Minus the red dot, front grip, sling and magazine that is on it in the pic.

The upper it came with (and patched twice with).
    100_1131.jpg

From my notes from last Atterbury: The small wash rag worked well as a elbow rest (rather than a full shooting mat) but I need to bring one that has fabric softer than sand paper. It took a while for that to heal.

Make sure you have tested out your sun screen with hot outdoor exercise. I had a little eye irritation but a buddy of mine had to let me drive home because it got in his eyes and they reacted poorly. Fortunately it waited until he left the range and he wasn't driving alone.

The cheapo back pack/ seat worked great for lugging stuff around all day.

***Question, If I bring the second upper for my AR as a backup, do I need to fill out a second line in the information needed by the base? Technically it isn't a second "gun" but I don't want to look like I'm sneaking anything in.

Last edited:

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    I can not believe what just happened....my daughter gave me her blessings to go to this even though her baby is due then. :alright: But if she calls in labor, I'll need to leave mainly cause I won't be focused on shooting at all.

So Jrainw, do you have a rifle I can use, that you will have sorted out? Or anyone else? I can't use the 22-250 this time.

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Mar 8, 2012
    Dude, bring the wedding to Atterbury! Guns and wedding are like peanut butter and jelly, they were born for each other. Just ask this guy.

8080858716_a41a723e7f_b.jpg

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Mar 8, 2012
    doc - That's the way. Keep it simple. Make it about you, not the gear. Last time there we had a guy loan out a frankensteined out match AR and it wouldn't run for nuthin. It was a charlie foxtrot of the highest order. A service rifle is a service rifle, and its good enough for 4 MOA. Good idea scratching the mat, Charlie don't need no mat.

Kirkd

Expert
    Mar 22, 2013
    Greenwood

Hope to see you there.

Ok. How about going to Bedford the week before and so day 1 of the course then come to atterbury for day 2 the following week???

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Ok. How about going to Bedford the week before and so day 1 of the course then come to atterbury for day 2 the following week???

The actual instructors will have better input but...
    That will give you the fundamentals for shooting in terms of technique but if it is to be ran like other 2 day full distance shoots you will need to know the actual dope on your rifle by day 2. If you don't it will not be fun. The 25 yard shoots will give you all the body mechanics but you will not know how much drop your actual rifle has when going from 1 to 2 to 3 to 400 yards. By day 2 we are going off of our log books and you don't get nearly as much feedback from the pits in terms of where you are actually hitting the target.

Just my :twocents:, as a devil's advocate type of advice.

Day 1 we shoot at 100, then move to 200 and see what the change is, then move to 300 and see what the change is, and so on. By day 2 we shoot 100, 200, 300, 400yards, then go back...400, 300. 200, 100 and maybe even back again before we ever get feedback on where we are actually hitting. I guess my point is it isn't fun to shoot at something all day and not know if you are doing well or even on paper.

yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    The actual instructors will have better input but...
    That will give you the fundamentals for shooting in terms of technique but if it is to be ran like other 2 day full distance shoots you will need to know the actual dope on your rifle by day 2.

Bingo, you will be flying blind on Sunday.

YHJ

yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    So Jrainw, do you have a rifle I can use, that you will have sorted out? Or anyone else? I can't use the 22-250 this time.

You are absolutely NOT permitted to borrow Huff's rifle. The goal here is to learn how to sort out your own rifle, not shoot to the dots on an already sorted out rifle. Huff's rifle will teach you nothing, and the patch you get will be a shallow reminder of what you could have earned on your own.

I wouldn't hand you my M1, a bandolier of HXP, and my databook either. It's too easy that way.

Trust me on this.

YHJ

Top Bottom