• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    How do we add a rifle to our info for the base? I've sent mine in, and received confirmation but now want to add a backup rifle. Send in all new stuff, with both or just the additional one?

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    OK, I like a challenge but I think the 1950's era .308 Spanish Mauser is out. I forgot this one has a rear Mojo (good), but not a micro-click (bad) so elevation is very difficult to change. It also has one of the crappiest bolts I've ever felt. I'm just not that good. :):

I'll figure this out after the Indy 1500.

Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    :laugh:

How does one load & reload a bolt action during an AQT?

Just sayin' it can be done easy enough. Even with a miniature single shot with irons. Only took 2 AQTs but a few pages of squares. Its not the rifle its the Rifleman or Riflewoman. Don't get hung up on the equipment.

yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    How do we add a rifle to our info for the base? I've sent mine in, and received confirmation but now want to add a backup rifle. Send in all new stuff, with both or just the additional one?

Backup rifle? Hey Huff a teaching moment!

It's like this. The rifle you bring should be the rifle you trust, the one you are confident in to go bang when you need it to. If your choice requires a backup rifle, maybe a little voice in your head is telling you the first choice is not a good one.

While we fully understand that things can go "Sprong!" when they should not, backup rifles bring a few issues of their own.

If your primary rifle breaks on stage two, and we have seen it happen, what will your come ups be for the backup rifle on stage three?

We shoot the square first thing in the morning so you know your click values, without that exercise on the backup rifle, what will you adjust at 300 yards to come up two minutes and over five minutes? Are you sure? Are you SURE?

Atterbury is all about taking everything you need and nothing you will not use. Where will your backup rifle, sling, mags, ammo be? Will you carry them all day?

Learning KD is not just shooting on the weekend. The lessons have already begun, if you are as Ol 'Huff would say, "fer serious".

- Remove your flashlight and laser from the rail, chuck that forward grip or bi-pod in the junk drawer as well. You need a good rifle, not a crew served weapon.
    - Everyone should have, or made plans to get, solid 25 or 200 yard zero's by now.
    - Your rifle should have been cleaned and lubed before then and everything locktited in place.
    - Every mag should have been function checked, cleaned and function checked again.
    - You should be testing your fit and function as well, is the scope in the right place?
    - You should be stretching those winter lazy muscles and getting comfortable in the sling.
    - You should have your backpack ready with a known list of items, load it and start walking a mile every night with it on, in the socks and boots you will wear at the range.

Now I don't want you to take this as a post to discourage your bringing a backup rifle. We will not mock you, and I don't want anyone throwing rocks at me if their rifle breaks.

Instead take this as a post to encourage serious thought about your choice of a primary rifle.

If you decide to bring a backup, send in a complete new form and mark it "UPDATED" in the email subject so I know to throw out your old one. It takes several hours to build all the paperwork CAJMTC requires, so if everyone turns in their paperwork the same way it goes much faster with less chance of error.

YHJ

P.S. Ignore HOP, he comes sorted out and I suspect someone told him every time he brings a new person to an Appleseed he has to bring a new rifle. :D

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Mar 8, 2012
    back up rifle? BACK UP RIFLE? BACK UP RIFLE!?

Aw no! You gotta be kidding me!?

Do you carry two rifles in the field in case the safe queen can't get her shoes dirty? NO

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    HaHa! I thought it was recommended. I don't own rifles I wouldn't throw in the mud, shoot in the rain or use. I started as a WW2 gun enthusiast but only own one of those now and even it is in the process of being my long range battle rifle.

The closest thing to backup I may need would be my buddies backing me up with some suppressing fire. :): :ar15:

The responses have only solidified my love for Appleseed. I love the way you folks thing! :rockwoot:

yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    I started as a WW2 gun enthusiast but only own one of those now and even it is in the process of being my long range battle rifle.

WW2 battle rifle :rockwoot:

The one rifle I would trust completely is my SMLE. One of these days I will not be instructing on the line, and me that old SMLE are gonna lay down at Atterbury and fill up the databook.

YHJ

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Mar 8, 2012
    " I love the way you folks thing!"

I love my thing, too. He's awesome.

But seriously folks, there is nothing wrong with a backup, if you bring a proper rifle you just won't need it! :rolleyes:

Just remember, WPA is supplying 250 of ONE caliber for you. If your back up is .223 and your primary was .308 we may not be able to do anything about that.

One of the big reasons we are pushing for everyone to get their info in is because the guys at Wolf are trying to support this shoot at one of the weirdest times in ammunition history. No company in its right mind would be trying to sort out these kinds of logistics in this kind of environment when they could otherwise ship that ammo to WalMart and make a mint on it. They have all sorts of demand issues and supply chain issues to negotiate right now so the earlier we get them caliber info the easy it is on them and us.

All of this is happening because of one thing. CJ, the guy who runs Wolf, is a real Patriot. He has been to several Appleseeds and seen how tough they are, and he believes that Americans need it. He put his biz and his wiz on the mark to help our program and to help Americans. It won't hurt us to make things a little easier on him.

(Plus I really like my Wolf T-Shirt because its cool, nice and thin so its easy to work in in the summers, and it has fun graphics on it. I am trying to convince him to bring a pile of them. For everyone, of course, but actually just for me)

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    OK, I will be bringing a 308. I will run some Wolf through it that I got today just to make sure everything is gtg. This gun will have iron sights (just for you Rayne).

My "backup" gun will be an AR/ammo/databook combo I've used at a previous KD so swapping will be no problem.

zoglog

Expert
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    I drilled there this weekend. Ranges look like they are in good shape! Now I have 3 weeks of Annual Training with this in the middle!!!

linuxguy

Plinker
    Sep 20, 2012
    Evansville KD?

Is Evansville a long-distance range? When I look at the info on the site, it says that March 23 was an Intro to long distance (out to 500 yards), but I can't tell if the July event there is long distance as well.

Appleseed Schedule

yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    Is Evansville a long-distance range? When I look at the info on the site, it says that March 23 was an Intro to long distance (out to 500 yards), but I can't tell if the July event there is long distance as well.

Appleseed Schedule

Red Brush does have the ability to go to 500 yards, but not every Appleseed event is able to secure that range. I don't think they will be going full distance that weekend at Red Brush as they did in March.

YHJ

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    Quiet for a weekend, I am guessing everyone is out getting zeros and checking their equipment?

:):

YHJ

What!!! We're suppose to be doing something to get ready for Atterbury??? I didn't think about guns once this weekend...I had Grandbabies to :wwub: They surprised us by coming for a visit.

I noticed late tonight though that the gun safe did lay claim to 5 visiting rifles after the son took my Grandbabies home. I must not eat enough bacon cause I would have settled for him leaving the Grandbabies and taking his rifles home instead. :D

Top Bottom