• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indoorsoccerfrea

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    The front left caliper on my '98 F-150 is frozen. From what I am able to determine, after a short drive I catch a pleasant wiff of something unpleasant and the front left tire/rim/caliper/rotor is much hotter than the front right ones. To me, this says a stuck cylinder/piston in the caliper. I changed the pads two days ago, and found that on both front wheels the inside pad was worn more than the outer pad.

Anyone have any experience with disassembling these things? I know you repair brakes by the axle, so I would rebuild/repair both at the same time, and I also know that the brakes are not a good area to be cheap...

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I usually just replace the calipers, they're not too much from advance auto or one of those places. IF I remember correctly there is a core charge though so take your old parts off first and take them with you!

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    For Napa remanufactured calipers (no pads or mounting brackets) you'd be looking at under $100 for each front. The core is around $50. Advance Auto is closer around $50 per side with the core charge. I'm not sure Advance Auto's warranty on those but Napa is 12 months or 12,000 miles.

Not sure about Advance Auto but at Napa you can buy with pads and mounting hardware (looked like some of those prices were $150-180).

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Before you buy a new caliper, be sure the slide pins in the mounting bracket aren't frozen. Or did you check and lube them when you changed the pads? If the slide pins are ok then its likely either the caliper or maybe even a swollen rubber brake line.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    As mentioned, check your slide pin, or possibly one of the pistons, as the front brakes have a dual piston caliper. I would also only use NAPA parts, or OEM if you wanna drop that kinda cash.

As far as core, you can buy the new without the old parts with you (for instance if your truck is the only means of transportation), and just take the old ones back to get the core money back. Keep us posted!

-MColford

silverspoon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Bloomfield
    I would just try some sand paper and a ant-seize type lubricant on the slide pins if you didn't do that when you changed the pads or just get the hardware kit for a few more dollars. Most of the time rust builds up on the slide pins where they became exposed as your old pads wore down and now when you depress the pedal the pads go forward? and won't come back because of the rust etc on the slide pins. That's usually the "cheap" way to fix it or if you have the extra cash just go get the complete calipers and be done with it.

Plinker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I had a 99 F-150 that did something similar not too long ago. It would also pull really hard in one direction when I hit the brakes. Wound up being the rubber brake line on the side it was pulling from. $15 at Autozone and about 20 minutes worth of time (including bleeding the brakes).

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    If it's just the inboard pad, probably slides have been washed free of grease or seizing piston. Either way, it needs torn down. Remove pads and reinstall caliper, then try to slide the caliper in and out (may use a small scredriver to slide it. If it slides, then chances are the piston is seizing up in the caliper. If it will not slide then clean, wire brush, and grease the slides. If inboard and outboard pads are worn then probably brake hose has collapsed (not visible from the outside since the inner and outers liners separate) and will need replaced. Most parts stores carry A1 Cardone Calipers but the preferred grease is Sil-Glyde (from NAPA). Do not use antiseize on the slides-when it heats up it turns to a powder and will actually seize the slides instead of lubricating them. Don't forget some DOT3 brake fluid, and please open the bledder screws and push the old fluid out, even if not replacing calipers. Never push the old fluid back to the master cylinder (and this is a do as I say, not as I do-I don't always push it out, either). Sorry so long winded.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Looks like you've already been given a lot of good advice. I you plan on keeping the truck any length of time, IMO you'd be better off just replacing the calipers, flex lines, pads and rotors all at once. If these parts are original, they are most likely due for replacement anyway. Better to spend a little more now and not have to worry about it again.

Like others have said, its probably very possible just to service what you have and make it work for a while unless its a bad brake line. I've seen old rubber brake lines look OK but they are actually collapsing and locking the caliper.

Good luck. Hope it works out ok.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    I've seen old rubber brake lines look OK but they are actually collapsing and locking the caliper.
    Just so u know, here is why. Brake hoses are 2 hoses in 1. They have an inner and outer liner. When the 2 separate from each other is when problems occur, u press the brake pedal to stop no problem but when letting off of the brakes the master cylinder brings fluid back up normally, but instead has pulled the inner liner of the brake hose shut because it separated from the outer liner. And it keeps pressure applied at the brakes.
    No real way of telling, but when pulling the hose off, if fluid only dribbles out then probably collapsed hose. Hope this better explains how they fail and you just can't see the failure.

I didn't pay much attention to the year of truck, but if these parts are 10 years old and u can afford to replace them, then please do (as mentioned by previous post). If u can afford 1 caliper only, then fine. Reman units should have the same bore and pistons as O.E. and will not cause any issues. Just make sure that the piston is the same material as your original (plastic or metal).

OK, I took a look at he brake system up front. These calipers usually last pretty well, but slides do seize and is a common problem on these dual piston setups. Uneducated guess without seeing it is slides need relubed. If the bolts are seized into the slides, then replace calipers that come with brackets.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom