• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Unoid

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Anyone have good recommendations for a lawyer just in case I need one?

Such as if I get arrested while carrying or I have to defend myself with my firearm.

Everyone always says "I will not say anything until I speak to MY lawyer"

Well I need to find one to memorize their # and name just in case I find myself being held against my will by our government.

Thanks.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Many of us in NWI have asked this question and to date that I know of we have not found an ATTY in the area. The only suggestion I can tell you right now of is of an ATTY named "Guy" who is an ATTY based out of Indy and is on these fourms as GunLawyer

He is also an NRA certified instructor and does the Comprehensive Indiana Gun Law (see link to his website). You can contact him via email see his website for the email or phone 317-450-8252.

He gave the class up in NWI back in NOV/DEC 2009 and at the time told us he was working on getting a network on ATTYs in the state as POCs for hooisers. So in case anyone needed an ATTY reference depending on what part of the state you were in (NW, NE, CEN, SW, SE) you could call him and he could direct you. Not sure if this was ever done/completed by him.

I have his number in my cell and in the worse case senario for now I would call him. Yes it means you are going to sit in jail for a while (a few days at least) since he may or may not be able to drop everything to come be your ATTY or he may not take your case or he may direct you to someone else but right now that is the only contact I have of an ATTY that I know is "good". What I mean by "good" is this guy have been practicing law and focuses strictly on gun laws and self defense for a long time now so he really knows his stuff in that area.

If you do find someone locally please let us know!

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    One of the best Criminal Attorney's in NWI is Larry Rogers and also there is Dale Allen.

This Larry Rogers?
    Lawyer Larry Rogers - Valparaiso Attorney - Avvo.com

• Harper & Rogers
      304 W US Hwy 6
      Valparaiso, IN 46385
    • (219) 762 9538

This Dale Allen?
    Dale Allen Law Office
    701 East Lincolnway
    Valparaiso, IN 46383-5778
    (219) 462-3998

Do you have an experience with either one?
    Are they taking on new clients?
    Can you put them "on retainer" (I think that is what it's called like in the movies or tv shows where the BG has a lawyer that comes and gets him beofre they question him in the PD. :dunno:)

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    Can you put them "on retainer" (I think that is what it's called like in the movies or tv shows where the BG has a lawyer that comes and gets him beofre they question him in the PD. :dunno:)

In real life, you can get an attorney to come talk to you before the PD (police department I assume) can question you. All you have to say is, "I want an attorney." When/If they keep questioning you, simply repeat "I want an attorney"... Sure, it is best to have one 'on retainer', which simply means that you pay them periodically to keep them 'on call', but you will get an attorney. If you don't have an attorney on retainer and/or can't find one, you'll get a PD (public defender). In many cases, these guys are under-paid and over-worked... Don't be confused just because they are both PDs (and because they both work for the government)

Having an attorney on retainer is more like insurance than anything else. I'll take my chances... I assume my one phone call will get me to somebody I trust who will do everything they can to find me the best attorney (if I ever find myself in that situation)...

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Agree bigus_D. If I was carrying daily (even while @ work) I would like an ATTY on retainer along with the NRA insurance that is available for criminal/civil suits. But since I work in the Commie land of IL and have to go into the I7BO's home town (Chicago) it's pointless for me to have an atty on retainer since I spend 5 out of 7 days there and the 2 I am home I'm really just home.

I figure is something were to happen I am prepared to spend a few hours/days in jail while my ATTY (gets hired) and gets me out. Is the 2 above are indeed go then they will get added to my cellphone. I think personally since I have gotten to know Guy I would cal him or have someone call him first for me and take it from there.

Here is the NRA insurance info.
    NRA Endorsed Insurance - Excess Personal Liability

xcess Personal Liability

Apply for Excess Personal Liability

Certificate of Coverage

"The NRA Endorsed Insurance Program is one of my favorite NRA benefits! "

Excess Personal Liability provides NRA members extra liability protection when they hunt or shoot.

Most homeowners' policies fall far short of adequate protection for liability claims. With Excess Personal Liability, you'll protect yourself against liability suits up to $250,000 for any injuries you unintentionally cause while hunting or trapping on public or private land.

The NRA-endorsed Excess Personal Liability plan also protects you while shooting in competitions or at private shooting ranges.

• Provides coverage for bodily injury or property damage caused by the use of a firearm, airgun, bow & arrow or trapping equipment when you are legally obligated for damages.

• Pays most defense costs in addition to liability limit -- even if lawsuit is false

• Liability Limit Options $100,000 up to $250,000

• Optional Self-Defense Coverage available

XDs4me

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I have used Dale Allen but not for a gun related case. Rogers is a former police chief and practice both state and federal law and has one of the best records around. He has handled many gun related cases. I also know of a guy who got his 4th DUI and Rogers got it dropped.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    A lot of lawyers will give a free initial consultation. Make an appointment with one who has an office near where you live. Go in and meet with them, ask some questions, see what they charge. Pick someone that you personally like and feel comfortable with and then keep their card in your wallet. You might be better off getting a general practitioner to be "your lawyer"; the person who you always go to for legal advice. Get someone that you like and trust to answer your general legal questions as they come up in your life and then they can always refer you to another lawyer if you need someone that specializes in a particular field. While you might need a lawyer who only practices in the area or criminal defense or constitutional law the odds are more likely that you will someday have a question about a will or a deed or a divorce.

Top Bottom