• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    Thinking about getting into that Koolaid. I have a WASR underfolder so I have some AK experience. What can you tell me about em besides the caliber and stay away from the century builds. What should I be looking for as a good deal as I was thinking about a Arsenal SGL 31, but what is the going price for those My local shop doesnt have any and he said they can be ordered for around $700. Are there any other non folding 74s I havnt seen that are good?

Interloper

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Great timing on the thread. I am also considering a 74 and would like input from the community. Unlike tgallmey, I want a folder (love the Polish Tantal, but not the keyholing) and would like to keep the price under $450. Any thoughts?
    Thanks!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Just what's been said about the Century builds... You've got to be careful.

Mine's a Bulgarian built by WaffenWerks out of knoxville, TN. It's SOLID. Purchased from 21st Century in Bluffton. Since they're also INGO supporters / advertisers, might want to peruse their sub-forum on here for their prior sales.

If you KNOW you're going to get one... Go ahead and begin buying ammo and/or magazines while they're still relatively inexpensive.

Mine currently wears all wood furniture...not matching. I made a feeble attempt at getting them to match. At a quick glance they do, I suppose. HAH!

I've kicked around the idea of an Ultimak rail for the front / top handguard and a decent mini-red-dot for an optic (Konus or Primary Arms).

-J-

windellmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    If you can get an SGL31 for under $800 it is a heck of a deal. $800 is about as cheap as you should expect to find in a shop for a new one. 21st Century had some Waffenwerks AK-74s for $600 I think. It had a US chromelined barrel, but I have not seen any bad reviews of those guns yet. The Interarms uses the same barrel I think but I have seen mixed reviews of the build quality on the Interarms. There are sometimes Wasrs in 5.45 around. Not sure what the price is running on those.

The last thing you might find is a converted Saiga hunting rifle. You can convert it from the Monte Carlo stock to a standard AK setup yourself if you are reasonably handy with a drill/dremel for around $450-$500 after buying the rifle and some parts. You get the same barrel as an SGL31 in that case. Finally Atlantic Firearms has talked about importing 5.45 Saigas with the front end mostly converted. I think those will sell for around $500 if they ever get them in. You would then have to do the same work to convert the rear end of the rifle that you would with the standard Saiga rifle.

The only sidefolder I know for under $450 is a Century Tantal. An SGL31 side folder is going to run north of $1100.

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    The Waffen Werks are a good choice. Romanian SAR-2 are awesome as well. They are not made from parts kits so thats a plus, no shot out barrels! They were imported by Century Arms but thats it, they did not do anything except put their name on it.

As for the SGL31.. I have one and its a nice gun but I think I would rather have a parkerized AK. The trigger is horrible too. Easy fix, just have to grind/file a bit. Also the muzzle break isnt chrome lined. Fit & Finish, I would give the fit 10 out of 10 and finish is 7 out of 10. I know there are ppl out there that will say they have never had an issue with the finish but there are others who will say they have.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I got my WASR underfolder for about $550. I was a little bit concerned about going with the WASR, especially for my first AK, but I checked it over and didnt find anything. I can see now that my sight is ever so slightly canted, and one of my three mags has a slight rattle. Not really a big issue. The sight is good enough that I can stay consistent on paper, and eventually I will fix that. The one mag that rattles is probably more an issue with the mag than the gun, since the others dont.

The WASR isnt a terrible gun, especially when you are on a tight budget, you just have to be careful. I saw a few that were really canted, and one that felt like the mag wouldnt even stay in the gun.

Lead Head

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Northeast Indiana
    Just yesterday I looked at a VZ-2008 AK with a Milled Receiver and the fit and finish was very good. The furniture all matched and was the dark speckled type. The curved grip was appealing.

The extra weight from the milled receiver was noticeable but unless you are going to march 20 miles a day with it, it's not that relevant. The milled VS. non-milled debate doesn't hold much water with me anyway.

Personally my SAR2 is fine but since I'm hooked on the folder concept and if I wanted to go back to the 7.62 round, the VZ-2008 would be on my radar. The list price was $799.00 but this was in Michigan. I think $599.00 new is fair.

Why they call it a "sporter" is unclear. An M1 Abrams Tank looks very "sporting" to me, but that just how I see things.

Lead Head

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Northeast Indiana
    Great timing on the thread. I am also considering a 74 and would like input from the community. Unlike tgallmey, I want a folder (love the Polish Tantal, but not the keyholing) and would like to keep the price under $450. Any thoughts?
    Thanks!

The 5.45 round has a very high velocity relatively speaking. This is a plus in most cases but it does generate more heat. My SAR2 doesn't keyhole but after trying most available ammo, the Silver Bear wins the overall rating.

Silver Bear 5.45x39 60grn FMJ 30rd Box

Why ? It is accurate for this round, barrel length, etc. and when blazing thru 30 round mags, the chamber/breach/barrel get's hot. Some other ammo has that nasty red primer sealant that sometimes causes a shell not to extract/eject (FTE). Lacquer coating on some shell casings when heated from excessive abuse of rapid firing may also cause a shell's FTE.

5.45 muzzle rise is much less than the 7.62 round which is also a plus. Depending on some variables, the 5.45 out of a 16" barrel is easily good to a 100 yards, wicked deadly at 50, but using a folding stock it's really a run n gun weapon, not a 200 yard long uber rifle.

NOTE: The below info was copy and pasted from a poster (RevPaul) over at Survivalist Forum. Thank-you Rev ! He seems informed.

Truth about the 5.45x39 mm in the surplus 7N6 bullet:
    It is a copper washed, steel cased, lead and steel core bullet with a little hollow pocket, just behind the FMJ tip.
    This round, will penetrat 5/8" mild armor plate out too 300 meters (330 yards).
    On soft targets (Due too the hollow tip) it will start too tumble at 11 CM, and will make two full tumbles through the ave. torso.
    The first tumble is a temporary wound cavity, and the second tumble is the permanate wound cavity.
    It is called the poision bullet due to the length of time it takes too kill.
    It is a lingering death, and in most cases in Afganastan, those shot with it did die.

Compare too the 5.56x45 mm SS109 / M855 bullet AP round:
    Little hole in and out with mostly a straight through hole and very little internal damage.
    Example, from the 14 1/2" barreled M-4, the volocity is slightly lower then from the 16" or 20" AR-15 or M-16.
    The lower volocity will not allow the bullet too spall, tumble or fragment.
    Penetration is still good though on harden targets, but proformance is lacking on soft targets.

5.45x39 mm muzzle volocity runs in the 3000 - 3100 FPS
    5.56x45 mm muzzle volocity runs in the 2750 - 3000 FPS
    this depends on barrel length, and I am compareing AP ammo only.

Stopper?
    Much better then 5.56x45 mm.
    Bet my life on it?
    You bet ya !!!!

Availability after SHTF?
    Who cares, at $119.00 per 1080 rounds in a seal tin from AIMSURPLUS, You can buy three times as much of it, as any other caliber.

Personal experiences with this round confirms the penetration, tumble, accuracy, and trigger recovory time on target.
    It shoots very fast, flat, and less recoil then the typical M-4 /M-16 / AR-15, with less concern of weapon malfunctions, or field conditions ie snow, mud, sand, dust, ice, user abuse etc.

Most 5.56x45 mm rifles are like fine swiss watches, but the AK platform is the TIMEX of rifles, and the 5.45 is in my oppinion, the best combat round out there.
    It incapacitates better, via trauma caused, then the NATO .223

Is it better then the 7.62x39 mm?
    Not for targets closer then 300 meters, but the flater trajectory and lesser bullet drop due too weight makes it better beyond 500 meters.

Is it better then the 7.62x51 mm?
    Not in any situation, other then you can carry twice the ammo for the same wieght.

The average shooter can not hit much, past 500 meters, but the guy carrying a .308 bolt gun, will most likely not be of the average variaty, so concider what you are asking, and how you intend too use your weapon in any given situation.
    Will you be by youself, in a group, in the city, in the sticks, will it be a swamp area, or somewhere in the great white north?

Try too understand tactics needed, for the weapon of choice.
    There is no one gun fits all situations.
    Choose based off of your personal needs.

I chose the 5.45x39 mm as a primary carry MBR, but I also have a very nice bolt gun for the longer shots if needed.

END

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    The Waffen Werks are a good choice. Romanian SAR-2 are awesome as well. They are not made from parts kits so thats a plus, no shot out barrels! They were imported by Century Arms but thats it, they did not do anything except put their name on it.

As for the SGL31.. I have one and its a nice gun but I think I would rather have a parkerized AK. The trigger is horrible too. Easy fix, just have to grind/file a bit. Also the muzzle break isnt chrome lined. Fit & Finish, I would give the fit 10 out of 10 and finish is 7 out of 10. I know there are ppl out there that will say they have never had an issue with the finish but there are others who will say they have.

Have to agree that the SAR-2s were great rifles, but Century did a bit more than just put their import stamp on them. They installed their poorly made fire control group, some of which had some really soft hammers. They also installed a US made gas piston to meet the sporting purpose clause of the new ATF second amendment. Some were installed correctly (loose) but some were welded on.

I have an SAR-2 which has the almost made of butter hammer. Great shooter and after each session I reprofile the mushroomed hammer. I figure it will run out of metal soon, then I will install a Tapco set. :D

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I was thinking about a Arsenal SGL 31, but what is the going price for those My local shop doesnt have any and he said they can be ordered for around $700.

If that's really what he's going to charge you, RUN don't walk and have him order it! Wholesale on the SGL-31 is just a shade under $700.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    I have a Century Tantal made in 04/2011 w/ a 1/8" twist and a Y0 s/n prefix, no keyholing. A very accurate rifle, and bought at PSS for $400.00.

Good reports on the 1/8" barrels so you may consider these.
    These Tantals also have the bakelite if you like that look.

My Tantal along side an Arsenal SLR-95 Bulgarian w/ IW stock set and a Yugo M70AB2 U/F (also another Century w/o issues):

p4090038.jpg

Last edited:

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I have a Century Tantal made in 04/2011 w/ a 1/8" twist and a Y0 s/n prefix, no keyholing. A very accurate rifle, and bought at PSS for $400.00.

Good reports on the 1/8" barrels so you may consider these.
    These Tantals also have the bakelite if you like that look.

My Tantal along side an Arsenal SL-95 Bulgarian w/ IW stock set and a Yugo M70AB2 U/F (also another Century w/o issues):

p4090038.jpg

You good Sir have a beautiful collection of Ak's. :bowdown:

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    well i wouldnt exactly rule out a century ak74 yes some of them had keyhole'n issues but you can preform the bullet test by taking a live round and pushing the it into the muzzle (after you removed the muzzle break) it should not push all the way to the neck if its loose the weapon will keyhole

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    You good Sir have a beautiful collection of Ak's. :bowdown:

Thanks.... some how I missed the "R" in the SLR-95 !!!:rolleyes:

I also miss the Norinco, Maadii and even the Romys, Ive gotten out of and back into AKs several times over the years..... back in to stay now, but heading more of the AK74 direction !!!

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    got mine from 21st century (399.95) Century build but it is sweet ,the guys at the shop went through & checked them all for canted sights & such . Mine a Nodak Spud trigger & I have put through 120 rds through it without a hiccup of any kind .Id trust my life with it

Top Bottom