• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Had it running a couple of times though it was a bit rough to start and now it won't at all. It's got a new battery, new air filter and new spark plug and it just cranks with the occasional momentary fire up but it dies almost immediately. I can't find a fuel filter on it anywhere so I'm pretty much out of ideas.

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    Had it running a couple of times though it was a bit rough to start and now it won't at all. It's got a new battery, new air filter and new spark plug and it just cranks with the occasional momentary fire up but it dies almost immediately. I can't find a fuel filter on it anywhere so I'm pretty much out of ideas.
    Maybe pull the air filter off and shoot some ether or gas in it and see if it fires. If it does I would assume it could possibly be the fuel pump if it is a fuel injected machine. Fuel pump is in the tank and doesn't really have an inline filter just the sock /strainer on the end of the pump

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Well it's back to stock shoes once again and I have to say it likes it. It definitely has more go off the line and is noticeably easier to steer. Isn't gonna win any sexy ATV awards but it'll do everything I need to to. Installed a new (to me) rear drop basket yesterday and a new front rack bar today. I've got a winch mount coming Thursday and plan to pick up a HF Badlands winch and install that as well.

1T1br1Uh.jpg
    Unless something is different, on a farm tractor the V faces forward when looking at the top. There is usually an arrow on the sidewall.

INP8riot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    West Central
    Definitely sounds like fuel delivery issue. Based on your post, you had it running. If it sat for a while, could the gas have gone bad and clogged something when it ran on the old gas? Fuel injector could be pulled. Don't know how labor intensive that is!

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Definitely sounds like fuel delivery issue. Based on your post, you had it running. If it sat for a while, could the gas have gone bad and clogged something when it ran on the old gas? Fuel injector could be pulled. Don't know how labor intensive that is!
    It's definitely possible. It wasn't an easy start but once I had it running it seemed to run fine. Now it'll give the occasional pop but it won't start & run. I think the fuel injector is probably the next step, ugh.

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    If it's a fuel delivery issue it's most likely the fuel pump. I've been around these machines for many years and only know of one or 2 that needed an injector. There are some more budget friendly pumps out there vs. buying oem.

Maybe find someone local that's able to check fuel pressure, just to be sure.

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    If it's a fuel delivery issue it's most likely the fuel pump. I've been around these machines for many years and only know of one or 2 that needed an injector. There are some more budget friendly pumps out there vs. buying oem.

Maybe find someone local that's able to check fuel pressure, just to be sure.
    Any specific recommendations? I'm seeing OEM at $400+ and off brands as low as $50. I'd prefer OEM but that's a bit salty for my budget at this point.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Any luck getting this quad lined out ?
    Neighbor recommended running some fuel injector cleaner through it so I've done that. I can get it to start on warmer days and once it's warmed up it seems to run pretty well. Today was a little tough to start and it died several times in the first five minutes but once I opened it up and ran it a bit it seemed to be fine.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. Hate to buy a fuel pump if I don't have to.

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    Neighbor recommended running some fuel injector cleaner through it so I've done that. I can get it to start on warmer days and once it's warmed up it seems to run pretty well. Today was a little tough to start and it died several times in the first five minutes but once I opened it up and ran it a bit it seemed to be fine.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. Hate to buy a fuel pump if I don't have to.
    Just for the hell of it, you might want to pull the muffler off and check it out. Since it's been sitting, there is a good chance that mice or chipmunks could have put stuff in it. I've seen them full of dog food, cat food and countless other things. It could be causing a restriction. Similar to a bad catalytic converter

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Just for the hell of it, you might want to pull the muffler off and check it out. Since it's been sitting, there is a good chance that mice or chipmunks could have put stuff in it. I've seen them full of dog food, cat food and countless other things. It could be causing a restriction. Similar to a bad catalytic converter
    I bought the cheap tools to help pull the springs off but I no longer have the beef to get it done. The exhaust is in bad shape as far as rust so I'll check it out as best I can with it in place.

Top Bottom