• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jdirt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Why yes, yes you did:laugh: My apologies for not being clear. I felt like I did hit the next level when I was getting ready for the Sizzler. But, I simply cannot train and compete at the pace I was going before the Sizzler for the next few weeks. I don't want to loose what I've gained over the last several weeks in this lull. It's easy to do, as you know, shooting is not like riding a bike.:D I just need to maintain what I've got over the next couple of weeks. My next major will be in October and I don't want to get my training regime up to where I'm peaking in the middle of Sept.

I guess I red you wrong. I know what it's like getting burnt out. I just didn't think shooting was like conditioning. You know like peaking a couple of weeks too early. I get confused easily.

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    I have no idea what it's like to get burnt out... shooting once a month is nowhere near enough for me. I don't feel like I'm getting enough trigger time to make any kind of advancement.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I have no idea what it's like to get burnt out... shooting once a month is nowhere near enough for me. I don't feel like I'm getting enough trigger time to make any kind of advancement.

I struggle a bit with that, too. I have a fantastic time running squads and SOing but there are times when I don't know that I'm making strides in being a better shooter since so much of my focus is on everything but shooting the match. I'm proud of my ability to improvise but you can only do so much improvising before it bites you. I try to dry-fire as much as I can and work in a few range visits when time and weather allow!

I've fallen behind on my shotgun and rifle skills since I can't seem to find the time to work on them.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I struggle a bit with that, too. I have a fantastic time running squads and SOing but there are times when I don't know that I'm making strides in being a better shooter since so much of my focus is on everything but shooting the match. I'm proud of my ability to improvise but you can only do so much improvising before it bites you. I try to dry-fire as much as I can and work in a few range visits when time and weather allow!

I've fallen behind on my shotgun and rifle skills since I can't seem to find the time to work on them.

You know, I used to figure I was pretty good but now I just realized that I praticed running through the courses so many times as a scorekeeper I knew how I wanted to run them. I have been going first and SOing/pasting/resetting so much shooting has really become a side match of its own. :(

I feel like a bloody brass picker :xmad:

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I guess I red you wrong. I know what it's like getting burnt out. I just didn't think shooting was like conditioning. You know like peaking a couple of weeks too early. I get confused easily.

That's a good way to understand it because, for me, it really is training on that level when I've got a big match coming up. It's not an issue of burn-out, it's an issue of the fact that life is busy and I really can't go that pace all the time. I do watch for peaking though- when I notice it start happening I'll either stop altogether or go work on something els. :yesway:

There is a reason at major matches that all the SO and Scorekeepers shoot a day ahead of everyone else and no SO runs the squads through more than 1 bay.:twocents: Few guys can honestly devote the energy needed to compete at their best on top of the time and energy required to run a squad.

EDIT: Although I did notice on the last scores the Eadens SLAMMED the entire field. I'm assuming he was running a squad. Like I said, "few guys can."

WOOH! HOLD UP MAN! Don't be so hard on yourself, it's not that bad is it?? I mean, that's pretty well the worst of the worst:D

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    You know, I used to figure I was pretty good but now I just realized that I praticed running through the courses so many times as a scorekeeper I knew how I wanted to run them. I have been going first and SOing/pasting/resetting so much shooting has really become a side match of its own. :(

that is probably the biggest advantage of being the SO or scorekeeper; you do get to see other shooters run the course and you know where the targets are and you have an idea of how you want to run them, but I couldn't tell you the last match that I went to where I was focused on just shooting the best possible score for me.

I have the hardest time figuring exactly where I can improve. Since I SO I normally shoot last and we are then picking up and moving on trying not to hold up any other squads so I don't always have time to digest how I ran a stage.

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    I have the hardest time figuring exactly where I can improve. Since I SO I normally shoot last and we are then picking up and moving on trying not to hold up any other squads so I don't always have time to digest how I ran a stage.

Maybe you should go first instead, get it out of the way and digest it as everyone gets their turn in. I also wish there were a more detailed list of what I was down on, missed shots, etc. Suppose I could look at the score sheet at the end and guesstimate...
    Are the stages always set up numerically going east toward the lake?

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    that is probably the biggest advantage of being the SO or scorekeeper; you do get to see other shooters run the course and you know where the targets are and you have an idea of how you want to run them, but I couldn't tell you the last match that I went to where I was focused on just shooting the best possible score for me.

Not when you go first like I usually do lately. I'm going to go more towards the middle of the pack and come early to "help set up"*.

*Spy and get extra practice in for the stages

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Maybe you should go first instead, get it out of the way and digest it as everyone gets their turn in. I also wish there were a more detailed list of what I was down on, missed shots, etc. Suppose I could look at the score sheet at the end and guesstimate...
    Are the stages always set up numerically going east toward the lake?

They always have a key in the email sent out so you know which stage is which by number and title. Deciphering it takes a little time though.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Not when you go first like I usually do lately. I'm going to go more towards the middle of the pack and come early to "help set up"*.

*Spy and get extra practice in for the stages

You mean an individual rehearsal of the COFs??? I'm SHOCKED that a certified SO would say such a thing:eek:

Page 9, Section C, Number 4 (in big bold letters): Individual rehearsals of a CoF are not permitted

:nono:

Shocked I tell you- SHOCKED!

:laugh:

scowens

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    :Coming out and helping set up does have it's benefits Also SO does 'show' you the COF. However, what I enjoy, or rather learn from is what the shooter does after the magic words "shooter ready!". I think my scores suffer from SOing, but my overall learning has improved! And yes I too am effected by "shooter ready!". But I still have fun!

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Before SOing I would normally volunteer to go first after seeing the course. I think we are QuickRing getting to the point where we will have at least 2 or 3 SO ready individuals per squad so every shooter can just spend one entire course just being a shooter, I think that will be a big help for sem SOs.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana

Which reminds me, purely hypothetically speaking;
    If one were to follow a course of fire exactly as described, and then throw an additional shot at a target previously engaged, and there was not an issue with cover, would there be a reasonable argument that a procedural was committed?
    Or would it just be anal :laugh:

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    WOW! We are disturbingly quiet here lately! Only 14 pages in roughly 2 weeks!

Uh oh.
    The last time you started counting pages and posts things got real ugly:)

Good shoot Saturday I thought, Owensboro this Saturday is supposed to be some special annual maximum speed lead throwing match if I understood what the big boys were saying.
    Burning powder good!!

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I'd like to make an Owensboro match sometime soon. Saturdays are precious and one of the few times we can all get out as a family but I'll try and lay the guilt on thick so maybe they'll let me show :D LOL I need some good quality time with my 9mm!

Saturday was fun! Ready for RB in a couple of weeks!

Top Bottom