• ...and so much more!
  • Digital_photog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    Syracuse, IN
    American Experience | Truman | Primary Sources

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=+1]White House Press Release Announcing the Bombing of Hiroshima[/SIZE][/FONT]

Quote from a friends facebook page.

"The bomb probably saved the day for me, I was on the island of Oahu awaiting shipment to Japan for the invasion, I didn't have to go, "Thank the Lord"

Many Japanese lives were lost, But Countless Japanese, American and Russian lives were saved since an invasion of Japan was prevented.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    My Dad was on the USS Reynolds, DE42 somewhere off Japans coast. It was the terror that finally got them, up to that time we were killing just as many with fire bombing. In the end it did save lives an stopped the war.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    My Dad was on the USS Reynolds, DE42 somewhere off Japans coast. It was the terror that finally got them, up to that time we were killing just as many with fire bombing. In the end it did save lives an stopped the war.

Did the allies firebomb Japan?

I know that we did Germany on a few occasions, and the resulting conflagration killed more people total than the two nuclear weapons detonated over Japan.

-J-

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Japan was firebombed. General Curtis LeMay was the driver. Several Japanese cities were bombed with incendiaries. Many of their buildings were wooden and burned easily. Their leaders were fanatics. After the first A-bomb, they hung tough. When the second one was dropped, I believe the Emperor stepped in and said that's it.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    If you want to see something weird concerning the fire bombing of Japan, check out this.

Bat bomb - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I saw this on a WWII program, what the link doesn't say but the program I watched did say, was that it was cancelled when they released a bunch for testing but they flew to the wrong buildings an set fires in all the wrong places.....I think the Army Air Corp had the fire bombing down pretty good...didn't the fire bombing of Tokyo kill over 100,000 in one night which was more than either of the Atomic bombs?

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I saw this on a WWII program, what the link doesn't say but the program I watched did say, was that it was cancelled when they released a bunch for testing but they flew to the wrong buildings an set fires in all the wrong places.....I think the Army Air Corp had the fire bombing down pretty good...didn't the fire bombing of Tokyo kill over 100,000 in one night which was more than either of the Atomic bombs?
    I'm not sure of the exact number from the incendiary raids, but I do believe it was more than the two A-bombs.

Top Bottom