• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • conan1rice

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Wayne County
    I know that auto knives are illegal in Indiana (hopefully not for too much longer) but does anyone know how strictly that is enforced. I have a LTCH and a military ID, do you think i would have any problems carrying it? For instance, somehow a leo saw that i had it, would they really even care? any LEO input would be great, thanks.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    The LTCH has nothing to do with knives.
    Auto knives are illegal to carry AND to own in Indiana, no matter if you are military or civilians.
    If you get caught you could get in trouble depending on the LEO.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Do you REALLY want to knowingly carry an illegal knife on the hope that law enforcement would look the other way if you were caught? I respectfully submit that is a bad plan.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    My advice is that you never rely on the expectation of salutary neglect to carry you. The things are categorically illegal and there is no exception, no special endorsement you can get on your LTCH, and no special dispensation for being in the military, or any other organization. Same deal with throwing stars if you happen to have a ninja streak in you.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    My advice is that you never rely on the expectation of salutary neglect to carry you. The things are categorically illegal and there is no exception, no special endorsement you can get on your LTCH, and no special dispensation for being in the military, or any other organization. Same deal with throwing stars if you happen to have a ninja streak in you.

How come these items are very easily acquired in flea markets and truck stops if they are illegal? I see them all the time in Indy. :dunno:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Also most internet sellers will ship auto knives to Indiana even though it's illegal.

IC 35-47-5-2
    Knife with blade that opens automatically or may be propelled
    Sec. 2. It is a Class B misdemeanor for a person to manufacture, possess, display, offer, sell, lend, give away, or purchase any knife with a blade that:
    (1) opens automatically; or
    (2) may be propelled;
    by hand pressure applied to a button, device containing gas, spring, or other device in the handle of the knife.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    How come these items are very easily acquired in flea markets and truck stops if they are illegal? I see them all the time in Indy. :dunno:

If I had to hazard a guess, some of them may not be automatic knives as defined by the law. To be illegal, the blade must extend under its own power at the activation of a button. Knives with the post on the side of the blade to flip open with your thumb are legal since they are powered by your thumb. As for truly illegal things turning up, there is a good chance that many people involved simply don't know the law. For some strange reason in the 80s the legislature concluded that drug dealers were also ninjas and outlawed not only automatic knives but also throwing stars, nunchuks, and I believe a few other odds and ends. In my reckoning, it did nothing for public safety and added a few new mines to the minefield we face navigating through the law.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    If I had to hazard a guess, some of them may not be automatic knives as defined by the law. To be illegal, the blade must extend under its own power at the activation of a button. Knives with the post on the side of the blade to flip open with your thumb are legal since they are powered by your thumb. As for truly illegal things turning up, there is a good chance that many people involved simply don't know the law. For some strange reason in the 80s the legislature concluded that drug dealers were also ninjas and outlawed not only automatic knives but also throwing stars, nunchuks, and I believe a few other odds and ends. In my reckoning, it did nothing for public safety and added a few new mines to the minefield we face navigating through the law.

Nunchuks are illegal as well? I see those everywhere too...no these aren't the "assisted" knives. These are the hit a button and watch a blade flip out gen-u-wine switchblades. They're cheap Chinese knives so I don't pay them much attention but it makes you wonder how hard they enforce that law.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Nunchuks are illegal as well? I see those everywhere too...no these aren't the "assisted" knives. These are the hit a button and watch a blade flip out gen-u-wine switchblades. They're cheap Chinese knives so I don't pay them much attention but it makes you wonder how hard they enforce that law.

Nunchuks are legal, just auto knives and throwing stars are illegal.
    I think auto knives are illegal because people think they are more powerful than they really are. :rolleyes:
    I can open mine with the blade shooting in the palm of my hand without getting cut.
    I heard people saying that you can push them against someone and it will stab them as you press the button. :):

The police must be busy enforcing more important laws, that doesn't mean you wont get busted if you get caught with one.Especially if you are not friendly with the LEO.

IC 35-47-5-12
    "Chinese throwing star" defined; related offenses
    Sec. 12. (a) A person who:
    (1) manufactures;
    (2) causes to be manufactured;
    (3) imports into Indiana;
    (4) keeps for sale;
    (5) offers or exposes for sale; or
    (6) gives, lends, or possesses;
    a Chinese throwing star commits a Class C misdemeanor.
    (b) As used in this section, "Chinese throwing star" means a throwing-knife, throwing-iron, or other knife-like weapon with blades set at different angles.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

I just did a little reviewing, and I was incorrect (or else I remembered correctly and it was in one of the adjacent sections of the IC which has been repealed). Then again, I was going by memory and I was younger than you are now at the time that law was passed.

Nmathew24

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Not an LEO; however I do remember a statement in my criminal justice class... "no one is above the law" and police discretion, but hey that's just text book and means nothing.

Tactical Flannel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    West Central Indiana
    Unfortunately they're illegal. Oh how I'd like to have this particular Benchmade I've seen.

From the perspective of one LEO, if you are caught with one what happens is very dependent on why we're having a talk and your demeanor. Best case, you loose the knife in a tragic dumpster accident (or some other unrecoverable tragedy) in my view. Worst case, you are charged with its possession.
    Perhaps someday the law will change. And my Benchmade will be overnighted that next day.

Stay safe

Top Bottom