• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JFrost

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    Plainfield
    In this thread it was made clear that shotguns are not simple.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long_guns/166318-determining_shotgun_patterns.html

Which is pretty much confirmed by this link:
    Shotguns / Understanding Shotgun Shot Patterns

Benelli makes an auto shotgun for the military (this:http://world.guns.ru/shotgun/it/benelli-m4-m1014-e.html ) and Mossberg makes a pump shotgun for them. (this: Modern Firearms - Mossberg 590 )

So it can be reasonably assumed that both are; tough as nails, reliable, fast, effective, and serve a useful purpose.

I have heard that Auto is more complicated (which I take to mean less reliable) therefore a Pump shotgun is better for home defense / SHTF / survival. When I looked at two (random) shotguns, one auto and one pump, they seemed very similar. The exploded view shows one less part for the auto vs. the pump. (this in no way guarantees it is less complicated)

http://www.okiegunsmithshop.com/Rem_11_48.jpg
    http://www.okiegunsmithshop.com/rem870.jpg

Is one more reliable then another? How many of you prefer one over the other? Why? Do you own both types, and if so, which would you grab for home defense? Why? Is one better for hunting then he other? (accuracy maybe?) What is the difference in maintenance, break down, and cleaning?

Please offer up any details, opinions, or thoughts. Thanks.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I've heard that you can short-stroke a pump, unless you have long arms, you have to adjust a pump shotgun from your shoulder to rack it, takes too long to rapid fire. Best thing about pump is it can shoot the low power shells & it's cheaper to buy

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I've heard that you can short-stroke a pump, unless you have long arms, you have to adjust a pump shotgun from your shoulder to rack it, takes too long to rapid fire. Best thing about pump is it can shoot the low power shells & it's cheaper to buy

Or you can put a shorter stock on your pump. Shotguns are WAY too long to get a proper hold.

I don't think you can put shorter stocks on autos though...

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I prefer a pump just because of the racking sound. Everyone knows the sound of pumping the shotgun to load the first round and in some cases it could be a deterrent to an aggressor.

JFrost

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    Plainfield

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    A semi shotgun is superiour in every way for personal defense.

Anyone who tells you otherwise, simply doesnt want to spend more than $200 bucks on their shotgun :)

Pump shotgun: boom shuck shuck boom shuck shuck boom
    Semi shotgun: boom boom boom boom boom boom boom

Anything that takes "work" away from you remembering to do it, doing it correctly, and not buggering it up, as reliably as semi-shotguns work with FULL POWER DEFENSIVE AMMO, there is simply no reason to select a pump gun other than cost.

The ability to fire without disturbing sight picture is also a large benefit.

If you have the cash, get a semi. If you dont, get a pump, and spend that cash on ammo to train with it often.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Is one more reliable then another? How many of you prefer one over the other? Why? Do you own both types, and if so, which would you grab for home defense? Why? Is one better for hunting then he other? (accuracy maybe?) What is the difference in maintenance, break down, and cleaning?

My theory goes like this , Mr. Murphy is a real SOB . He WILL show up at the worst time for you , bet on that .

Guns are machines and like any other machine the more complicated they are , the more the PITA they will be to fix .

For that reason alone , I chose the 12G 590 . Sure it's a beast that kicks , but it's never failed to fire or had a malfunction and I've put about 300 various types of shells/slugs through it .

Also as a last resort , if absolutely needed the 590 will gladly accept a bayonet .

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I'm sorry but I'm seeing some statements that I just cant go along with,

Reliablilty is double edged, Pump vs. auto. With standard factory rounds it may be a wash, Here's the thing, Anyone with a pump can tell you that every once in a while you will short shuck the thing, or because of the increased movement you may run into interference with your surroundings, Run an elbow into a wall or door frame and you will short shuck it. So the absolute reliabilty of a pump over the auto you have to factor in the operator, The Auto takes the operator out of the system. Auto's are better than they have ever been I can't agree with Pumps are more reliable. Now a premuim priced pump may be better than a 60 year old A5 knockoff but if you bought a Rem 1100/1187/versa vs a Rem 870 Tact or police I think your malfuctions will be so far and few between you will have to check ammo and other factors.

Shorter stocks on shotguns, Not really a reason to buy one over the other, You can find shortened stocks for auto's and folders for pumps, I can live without a folder.

I would find the Shotgun that you like and go with it if there was any advantage the Pump has is specialty munitions but really how many times do you need bird bombs

Turn Key

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I prefer a pump just because of the racking sound. Everyone knows the sound of pumping the shotgun to load the first round and in some cases it could be a deterrent to an aggressor.

This is fine, until you hear the safety's on two .45's click in your front room ..

JMO

~TK

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have a Mossburg 930 SPX Auto. Never failed me, shoots well, have yet to find something it cannot shoot. I trust it. And, it is flat fun to empty it out on some targets.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    It depends on who the shooter is and what the shotgun will be used for.

I am 48 next week, I started with a pump shotgun in 1968, I do fine with them, even under extreme pressure. With a pump shotgun in my hands I can surely change the course of history. (Key point is I believe that, see Bruce Lee shotgun training video)

I am also not saying a shotgun of any kind is my first choice, last choice or in between.

BUT

If things happen to go wrong the people in my family who would save me would be doing it with a semi auto. It may be handgun, PCR, AR, Ak or a shotgun but it will be semi auto. Reason being, why teach them to use a pump when all the other guns they use are semi? If you think a quality, clean, well kept semi auto shotgun is not reliable and ready for HD use WTH?

As for the gun, if you own it, then own ammo it can reliably run on. In my case all my shotgun ammo is reliable in my semi autos, that means it will also run in my pumps, O/U's or SxS guns. No crap ammo in the house, not ever.

Semi auto requires less dexterity, muscle strength and coordination to operate. That means the new shooter can focus more on skills and making hits when practicing, not on operating the gun itself. It is easier to shoot a semi auto shotgun. It is also easier for people with physical limitations like old or new injuries in the arms or hands.

If they have to empty a shotgun and are that far into "the program" then it is time to drop the thing and get a handgun or carbine.

Yes, you can talk about SHTF, being able to use any ammo, dirty guns, various circumstances and environments that cause failure but if you know all that crap, then you already KNOW shotguns.

If you have to ask, semi auto is probably the best, just not the cheapest.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    In this thread it was made clear that shotguns are not simple.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long_guns/166318-determining_shotgun_patterns.html

Which is pretty much confirmed by this link:
    Shotguns / Understanding Shotgun Shot Patterns
    You made me think of that famous 1980's "Math is hard Barbie"

Here, I will make choke easy for you:

There are times when you want to hit with a fist, others with an open palm, sometimes with a trash can lid.

Choke goes from tight to open. From fist to palm to lid................the X factor is distance to the target.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I've heard that you can short-stroke a pump, unless you have long arms, you have to adjust a pump shotgun from your shoulder to rack it, takes too long to rapid fire.

No, you need not adjust anything, you just need training and a much shorter stock.

American gunmakers put big goofy stocks on their weapons because their customer base takes the shotgun and puts it up in the air as if they are shooting ducks. They then say "well, I'm a big man and I needs me a big stock so I'll take it."

Later, when they are spread out over Creation on the stock of the weapon and it beats them senseless, they complain about the "kick" of the shotgun.

What is better? The one that you have the most gun school hours with. I have seen excellent work with everything to single shots, slide actions to self-loaders. Oh, one word of warning if you get one of the high speed Benelli gun gamer guns, then ensure that it runs for you on the deck. Guys with thinner builds have problems with them on the deck as their build hampers the recoil assist.

There are many good shotguns; there are few good shotgun drivers.

Guys focus on the gun as if it does some sort of magic by itself instead of their skill (reloading) or how the weapon is set up.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Here, let me show you someone who feels me on the whole shotguns for HD topic. I'll try to youtube it at the point where he does some stuff that translates VERY well to home defense. Or zombies. If I screw it up, watch the whole thing. Stop your whining, Nancy, it will be good for you.

Hmm. Can't get it to embed here... Grr.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FziECY1mSaY#t=232s

Last edited:

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    i have both pumps and autos....pumps are in the safe and auto is at the back door.....if you want fool proof get a double barrel coach gun......

hemicharger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   1
    Mar 14, 2008
    Anywhere

I heard on the interwebz that the gun being fired at the aggressor was a deterrent.

Top Bottom