• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DemolitionMan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Avon, IN
    I did demolitions in the Army. The problem with electrical detonation systems is they can be set off by interference from electro-magnetic waves. Remember back in the day when you'd see road signs reading "blasting in progress, turn off CB radios"? That's why. If you want to wire something and leave it for a long time, you use shock tube or time fuse and det cord, not electrical.

Static electricity build up, spark from friction, bursts of radio energy, they can all make electrical detonation go boom before you don't want it to go boom.

Now what you COULD do is use a electronic detonator. That's different than an electric detonator. An electronic system has a micro-processor hooked to a capacitor right at the blasting cap/initiation device and the electronic detonator sends a special digital code to it to make it go off. That's what the majority of civilian demolition and blasting crews use now, or shock tubing. Its a lot less prone to interference as instead of just a random burst of electricity it needs a specific code to detonate. Its not perfect, but its about the best I'm currently aware of.

+1

Another option would be to have some mechanical means to arm the entire system, so you would have to have both a mechanical failure and an electrical failure to make it go "bang" at the wrong time. A lever that moved the firing mechanisms into place, for example, would prevent an electrical failure from causing an AD.

Or you could go the brute force route and have a sliding steel plate that covered the business end of the tubes until you needed to use the system. It still wouldn't be fun to be in the hallway if it went off, but at least you (probably) wouldn't have any holes in you...

Really, though, the best option is not to do anything like this. Mines and similar devices aren't meant to be permanent installations because having a loaded weapon pointing at people all the time is just asking for trouble.

Seems to me that a simpler approach is just to have a nice semiauto shotgun or two in the safe room, along with a firing port. No legal issues and much safer for a permanent installation. Of course if you can afford all this you could probably afford a Class III license and even better toys to have in the safe room. :ar15:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    +1

Another option would be to have some mechanical means to arm the entire system, so you would have to have both a mechanical failure and an electrical failure to make it go "bang" at the wrong time. A lever that moved the firing mechanisms into place, for example, would prevent an electrical failure from causing an AD.

Or you could go the brute force route and have a sliding steel plate that covered the business end of the tubes until you needed to use the system. It still wouldn't be fun to be in the hallway if it went off, but at least you (probably) wouldn't have any holes in you...

Really, though, the best option is not to do anything like this. Mines and similar devices aren't meant to be permanent installations because having a loaded weapon pointing at people all the time is just asking for trouble.

Seems to me that a simpler approach is just to have a nice semiauto shotgun or two in the safe room, along with a firing port. No legal issues and much safer for a permanent installation. Of course if you can afford all this you could probably afford a Class III license and even better toys to have in the safe room. :ar15:

All good ideas. From the design ideas and the castle, fellow 12B I assume...

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    220px-Spring_gun.jpg

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    IC 35-47.5-2-2
    "Booby trap"
    Sec. 2. "Booby trap" means a device meant to cause death or bodily injury by:
    (1) hiding the device; or
    (2) activating the device by trip wires, switches, antidisturbance, or other remote means.

Seems like "other remote means" would cover this particular set up.

IC 35-47.5-5-10
    Deploying a booby trap
    Sec. 10. A person who knowingly or intentionally deploys a booby trap commits a Class D felony....

Exactly. Here's the way to look at it logically, and believe it or not, there's logic behind most laws.

When is it legal to shoot or kill? When it is done in self-defense or defense of others. Now, let's stick with self defense- when is a shooting in self defense? When you are in reasonable fear of imminent death or serious bodily injury (using the common law, not statutes, but it is similar). Now- how can you be in imminent danger if the weapon is designed to be triggered remotely in an area where you are not present?

We can talk about defense of others or come up with scenarios where we could argue imminence, but the judgment was made that there is too great a danger for mistakes and non self-defense if there is not a person actually present making the shoot-don't shoot decision. Seems like a good law to me.

....and ceiling mounted shotgun barrels seems like about one of the worst ideas outside of a SHTF/WROL situation, there could be.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I did demolitions in the Army. The problem with electrical detonation systems is they can be set off by interference from electro-magnetic waves. Remember back in the day when you'd see road signs reading "blasting in progress, turn off CB radios"? That's why. If you want to wire something and leave it for a long time, you use shock tube or time fuse and det cord, not electrical.

Static electricity build up, spark from friction, bursts of radio energy, they can all make electrical detonation go boom before you don't want it to go boom.

Now what you COULD do is use a electronic detonator. That's different than an electric detonator. An electronic system has a micro-processor hooked to a capacitor right at the blasting cap/initiation device and the electronic detonator sends a special digital code to it to make it go off. That's what the majority of civilian demolition and blasting crews use now, or shock tubing. Its a lot less prone to interference as instead of just a random burst of electricity it needs a specific code to detonate. Its not perfect, but its about the best I'm currently aware of.

Hmm...good point. I was aware of the possible generation of a static charge screwing with PCBs and microprocessors, but I didn't know you could build up a big enough charge to effect (or affect; take your choice in this context :)) a hard wired dead circuit. In light of that, perhaps an air actuated solenoid with mechanically sprung firing pins would be safest. Dead air condition would be normally closed, with pressure required to retract the shielded firing pins. Then a compressor, a filled pressure tank, or even a chemically activated air bladder could be employed to power up the circuit manually. That wouldn't be hard to plumb and is neigh on impossibly to accidentally trigger.

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    It seems to be one of those weapons that in theory, is a good idea, but when you step back and look at the "big picture", too much "fail" there. A good practical use might be to load it with blanks, it could serve useful to disorient a BG, but with any weapon, you always run the risk of starting a fire. It might be a good idea to just stick with old school technology and just use a "regular" shotgun.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Yep. I was in one of the last classes to go through OBC at Ft Belvoir before they moved it all out to Leonard Wood....back when dinosaurs roamed the Earth. :)

Pffft... Did they even have electricity back then, or were you throwing sticks of dynamite at Indians? ;) Ft. Leonard Wood for me, 35th Engineers was my training unit.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    So this thing is activated by a button? Hmmm interesting until.....

"hunny could you open the garage door?" click, Boom "dammit hunny wrong button you just killed the cat!!!!!"

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    When is it legal to shoot or kill? When it is done in self-defense or defense of others. Now, let's stick with self defense- when is a shooting in self defense? When you are in reasonable fear of imminent death or serious bodily injury (using the common law, not statutes, but it is similar). Now- how can you be in imminent danger if the weapon is designed to be triggered remotely in an area where you are not present?

We can talk about defense of others or come up with scenarios where we could argue imminence, but the judgment was made that there is too great a danger for mistakes and non self-defense if there is not a person actually present making the shoot-don't shoot decision. Seems like a good law to me.
    I can't believe it took someone THIS long to point out the lack of imminent death or severe bodily harm..

"So, you were in a safe room and still shot the bad guy?"
    "Yes, sir."
    "So you were, in fact, safe?"
    "Well, I guess so, but he was outside the door."
    "Congratulations, you're under arrest for being terminally stupid."

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    ^This! Plus we are talking about the super uber rich here. You think the police is going to get involved in trying to ID the BG and/or prosecture the house owner? yyyeeeeaaaahhhhhh right! :faint:

Did you read the caption under the photo where it said the security firm did NOT install these in the USA?

I suspect there is a good reason for that fact. I suspect that even the uber rich are not above the law here if something like this is used.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Did you read the caption under the photo where it said the security firm did NOT install these in the USA?

I suspect there is a good reason for that fact. I suspect that even the uber rich are not above the law here if something like this is used.
    I think he was saying they wouldn't call the police, but rather have a guy, "take care of it" for them.

Top Bottom