• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    Double action OTFs are nice when you want to freak out (freedom haters) while cutting up nuggets for your toddler at McDonalds...

IMHO a good flipper is better for me than assisted or auto...

Last edited:

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Assisted Opening mechanisms were created to either get around auto bans, or to cover up the fact the knife was not all that well put together in the first place. There is a reason you almost never see assisted opening on higher end knives even ZT is moving away from them.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Assisted Opening mechanisms were created to either get around auto bans, or to cover up the fact the knife was not all that well put together in the first place. There is a reason you almost never see assisted opening on higher end knives even ZT is moving away from them.

So what you're saying, is that I should buy a higher end ZT from Brad at the 1500.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I carried assisted knives for a while, first a Kershaw 1550T, then a 1550, then I moved to the Benchmade 890 Torrent. The 890 felt and looked great and I loved how they did the mechanics of the assist (damn tip down always bugged me though)

Then I got a Lionsteel, then a Hinderer, Chris Reeve Umnumzaan, Microtech Ultratech, another Hinderer, Grayman Dua, Three Sisters Forge Beast, Diskin Vulcan, ADV Butcher, ZT 0620, then a ZT 0450.

All that, I sold off a lot to fund other things. Never carry my auto, just bought it to have one, but I've really found that I like a good titanium framelock flipper above everything else. The action on a good flipper is something to admire IMO.

That being said, I personally have no issues with a good assist. I'd have no issues carrying a ZT 0566, 0770, or 0350SWCF.

There's a lot of different pocket knives out there because there's a lot of different tastes. No 1 knife is the best for everyone all the time.

That's why you get several of each style and carry accordingly :)

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    For me it depends what it'll be used for. I have one OTF, a Microtech Ultratech from Brad. I knew I couldn't ever use it for much but I could count on it for self defense.

Then I got a Cryo from Brad and carried it all the time. I like it a lot and the way it opens.

After seeing many at BladeShow and messing with some friends knives I see the assist isn't needed. I've handled quite a few flippers thsg felt like they were assisted. That's what I like.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    For me my modded Spyderco's (I modded these way before the wave idea was patented) are faster than my Spyderco Auto. With the auto I have to take off the safety then hit a little button, my modded Spyderco opens as I pull it from my pocket.

wavedspyderco-2.jpg

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    The reason I like assisted opening is because it's simple to use one handed and I'm not fumbling for a stud to open it if I can't see it when I pull it out to use it on something. My self defense/last ditch knife is also assisted purely for speed.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Why are you doing this to your self Rhino?

Because I must!

Eight Weeks,[STRIKE] Four[/STRIKE] Five Days, 21 hours, 39 minutes.

Re: assisted vs. auto - one advantage that some assisted openers have over autos is that if the spring fails, they can be used as a flipper as well. If you use the assist and a flip, you get a very solid opening.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom