• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dj15802

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Avon, IN
    We love it here. We're getting plenty of good restaurants as well as most any shopping you'll need. Plainfield & Brownsburg are close enough for anything else.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I grew up in Avon. It has lots of stuff close, like shopping and dining, but I can't stand to go there now because of travel. Avon IS US36 and traffic is the worst headache you'll ever have. There are certainly worse towns to be in but I wouldn't want to go back to Avon

DEstes001

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 10, 2013
    Western Hendricks County
    It's very clean, I grew up in Plainfield and it has grown to a point that it is nothing like it used to be. I really do like it, a huge Lowes and anything in the world to eat. Best I remember, there's a Liberty Gun Shop there too if it is still in business. Somebody help me out on that one, I'm not sure.

DocGlock86

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Plainfield
    Lived between Danville and Plainfield since '97 and I've worked in Avon for almost 6 years now. Definitely has pretty much anything you need as far as entertainment, food, and shopping. What you can't find in Avon you'll find in Plainfield which is just a hop and skip South.

Hendricks County school systems in general are the better of public schools IMO and I've always heard great things about Avon's school.

Where I work I get some interaction with the police department and it seems they get the typical Whiskey Tango drama but very seldom anything extremely terrible.

Like others have said learn the back roads as quickly as possible. US36 is a cluster....well mess. And avoid at all cost the train crossing just south of SR267 and US36, I promise you'll catch that train 80% of the time and you'll sit FOREVER.

gunsisgood

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 19, 2010
    Maine
    I grew up there in the 70s it WAS great.
    Now its a friggan mess:(, however if eating out, shopping and sitting in traffic are your thing you will LOVE it.

Last edited:

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    High property taxes, traffic sux, strip malls all over the place, stop lights every 100 feet, and those STUPID roundabouts. It's not Carmel boys and girls, stop trying to be. Have to drive thru it because it's in the way. Wouldn't live there to save my life. At least we don't have to drive to Lafayette Square to shop anymore, but that's about the only redeeming feature Avon has.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Yes I believe they have the highest property taxes in Hendricks County. They also outgrew the high school before they even moved in. Restaurants are all part of some crappy chain, there is nothing original there. Lowes and Menards are big while the rest of the stores (big box type) are all pint size, honestly the smallest Best Buy I have ever been in. Although the Kroger just got a remodel and is really nice, finally something closer to what WholeFoods offers but still not there.

Derpacoon

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    Indy
    Avon is nice. Moved here myself a couple months back. It can be busy at times, but I guess it depends on where you are coming from and what you are used too. Pretty much everything you need is out here. And, anything that isn't is only 25-35 mins away.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    High property taxes, traffic sux, strip malls all over the place, stop lights every 100 feet, and those STUPID roundabouts. It's not Carmel boys and girls, stop trying to be. Have to drive thru it because it's in the way. Wouldn't live there to save my life. At least we don't have to drive to Lafayette Square to shop anymore, but that's about the only redeeming feature Avon has.

This x1000

Avon is overpriced, over-crowded, and over-rated. But consider the source. :cool:

OIIIIIO

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    We were just in Avon yesterday. My son lives there and we went down for our granddaughters birthday and to see our grandson play basketball. Ate lunch at Cheddars ( it was good) and went to Fort Libertys firearms. Unfortunately, they didn't have hardly any stock at all. It seems like a nice area and my son really likes it there.

Top Bottom