• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thatgtrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Senate to take up assault weapons ban

The one thing that stuck out to me is that it has no Republican sponsors.

I still feel like everyone, the media included is downplaying it so we will lessen our support, and allow it to possibly surge back to full force.

The senate does this because they know it will look good for them during the mid term elections. They know that even if it passes the Senate; it never gets through the house. It's DOA.

The White House will spin it as "The Senate and the White House are in agreement about a responsible path forward. It's those obstructionist republicans in the House that continue to block bipartisan progress."

It's all theatre. I hate politics.

PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    Even if it does pass the Senate I don't think it will be an overwhelming majority vote. As far as I'm aware very few if any Republican senators are supporting it and several Democrat senators are opposed to it, and I'm fairly certain even Harry Reid's opposed to an AWB, and if I'm reading this right, the Judiciary Chairman isn't throwing his support behind a ban either.

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    I thought the senate was told to get off their (rear ends) and come up with a budget. It seams like they have a lot bigger things to worry about, like sequestration. Hopefully gun control is old news and fading away.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    The senate does this because they know it will look good for them during the mid term elections. They know that even if it passes the Senate; it never gets through the house. It's DOA.

Indeed both Sen. Reid and Sen. Leahy have problems with this. Both are bleeding-edge liberals but come from pro-gun states. So it appears that re-election trumps ideology, at least for Democrats.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I think that an AWB is highly unlikely now, the whole evil AR/AK frenzy has died down in my opinion. The MSM has turned its attention to other things so therefore, so does the sheeple. My main concern is the UBC idea. I can not see any good in that if it's brought up and passed. The government knowing every time a firearm is bought/sold is WAY too invasive in peoples lives. I think checking a DL and LTCH is a good idea but I do not think the government should require any of that. If the seller wants to check a persons DL and LTCH then that's fine, it should be the sellers choice IMHO.

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    I don't watch much CSPAN but I noticed that this is not being played on either of the CSPAN channels on Dish network. I have to watch it streaming from cspan.com. I wonder how many people actually watch this stuff.

ditchmag

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    I don't watch much CSPAN but I noticed that this is not being played on either of the CSPAN channels on Dish network. I have to watch it streaming from cspan.com. I wonder how many people actually watch this stuff.

More people need to, that's for sure. This is in my opinion the most serious issue being legislated. Graham is speaking right now, hopefully he can drive a few points home. So far this hearing is just frustrating to me.

__Doc_

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Henry Co
    I'm watching this now. Some good progun people, but mostly ignorant people ****ting up the place. They dont even understand what they are saying

ditchmag

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    You notice how the mayor of Philly is reading his pre-made speech off the paper, and part of his speech was basically "on a personal note, some of the things said today have been been disrespectful to Mr. Heslin". So the pro-gun people shouldn't have been able to say what they did cause it was "rude" to Mr. Heslin?!?! And the fact that he already had that written (so it appears) was just stupid. This whole hearing has been crap, and I knew it would be.

Speaking of Heslin, he points out how great Australia is -a place where you have to show a good reason to even have a paintball gun.

And I keep hearing the anti-gun people saying how they have never heard of an example of someone defending themselves with an ar-15 or the like. They obviously aren't even trying to find out and the media of course isn't pushing out these stories, but I wish that more people would stand up and voice their experience.

EDIT:

I see the pro-gun people making calm rational arguments, and I see the anti-gun people making sour faces and dismissing whatever the pro-gun people are saying....this is so frustrating.

Last edited:

ditchmag

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Oh my gosh! Al Franken now saying AGAIN - "I haven't heard one example" when there have been at least 2 personal examples made at THIS HEARING!

And I think it is interesting that Virginia Tech keeps getting left off the list when they talk about all the horrible mass murders, when it was the worst one. It doesn't fit in with their narrative of course.

Edit -
    Disrespectful to the committee? How about disrespectful to American rights?

Edit:
    And now the feed has stopped working as someone is explaining why the bill is incoherent...or maybe I just was behind. I did have to pause for a few minutes. Guess it just stopped when the hearing stopped.

Last edited:

Light

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Near Fort Wayne
    Oh my gosh! Al Franken now saying AGAIN - "I haven't heard one example" when there have been at least 2 personal examples made at THIS HEARING!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eT8piaLaP2U

I hate nothing more than ignorant politicians. The single thing that can make me the angriest the fastest is someone simply being ignorant. This will be the end of this country one day if it isn't fought.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Watching the CBS news pack that aired locally (national package) all I seen was "I am a parent of a Newtown child and I want this weapons banned". Lindsay Graham tried to ask a police commissioner how many legally owned AR 15's have been used in crimes, but sounds like he refused to answer. Hardly any pro gun side, but I have expected this.

Also, will the proposed AWB ban automatic weapons? The reason I ask is because the crazy lawmaker from Kommiefornia showed a video of an automatic weapon and said this is legal.

Top Bottom