• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big John

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hmmmm.. Right in my backyard and I had no idea, guess my SA is slipping.

Scared kid is all it is but will be alert, thanks for the heads up.

Big John

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    AWOL North Judson soldier in custody | WSBT - News, Weather, Sports South Bend | Local News

NORTH JUDSON – The search for a local AWOL soldier is now over. Police say he is now in custody, after a massive search on Monday.
    Related Content

The soldier, 18-year-old Zachary Scutchfield, is speaking with the North Judson police chief.
    Police say the trouble started when he was talking with a friend on Sunday. That friend became concerned about his well-being and described him as mentally distraught. The friend called Fort Knox, and local authorities were alerted after he didn't show up for duty on Monday.
    Scutchfield didn’t make any threats to hurt anyone, say police, but he was carrying an AK-47 assault weapon, a shotgun and plenty of ammunition — which was more than enough cause for concern.
    Police from North Judson, Starke County, Lake County and the Indiana State Police started looking for him – even using a helicopter with infrared technology in the search.
    They also locked down North Judson-San Pierre Schools for a short time.
    Police say he told friends in North Judson he didn't want to go back to the service and was heading toward Mexico.
    Stay with WSBT.com for updates to this story.

zlittell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    ehh kinda wierd that he had guns and stuff :| but my buddy went awol after he was denied immediate release after being diagnosed with a mental instability. They wanted to keep him for the next 2 weeks because he wasn't the worlds best kid and needed to learn a lesson.

Srtsi4wd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Where did this kid get enough money for an AK-47?

Damn, the signing bonuses have gotten out of hand!:n00b:

(sarcasm aside, I feel bad for the guy. He was in a hole between a rock and hard place. Now that hole is full of:poop:. Hope he gets things straightened out.)

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Not sure why this story was newsworthy. It happens in this area every couple months. I don't know whether the others had guns or not, but I don't see why that is an issue?

Where did this kid get enough money for an AK-47?

Damn, the signing bonuses have gotten out of hand!:n00b:
    five hundred bucks? he wouldn't have any bills to pay. He could save that money out of one paycheck.
    (sarcasm aside, I feel bad for the guy. He was in a hole between a rock and hard place. Now that hole is full of:poop:. Hope he gets things straightened out.)
    rock and a hard place? He chose to join the army in the middle of a war. Do you know something not in the story?

Srtsi4wd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not sure why this story was newsworthy. It happens in this area every couple months. I don't know whether the others had guns or not, but I don't see why that is an issue?

five hundred bucks? he wouldn't have any bills to pay. He could save that money out of one paycheck.

Do you know something not in the story?

No, no inside info. I am just tired of every AK type rifle out there portrayed as the "AK-47". I know its too much to ask for the media to get it right, the story attracts more attention if he sounds like a potential "domestic terrorist."
    I meant a $15K real deal AK, which is how it is always portrayed in the ignorant media.

rock and a hard place? He chose to join the army in the middle of a war.

I think your statement sums it up. It all sounded great in the recruiters office, I'm sure. I know I'm making suppositions on his state of mind, but for him to choose to do the things he did, I'm sure he felt that he was stuck. He didn't do himself any favors by filling the hole he dug for himself with :poop: by going AWOL. That's all I meant.:ingo:

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis

DestructionDan

Marksman
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    IN KY
    I hate to bring up something so old but WAIT
    "Police from North Judson, Starke County, Lake County and the Indiana State Police started looking for him – even using a helicopter with infrared technology in the search."
    When did they get infrared LOL Grew up there on RR2 later to turn into 250W
    Choppers were only used to find dope back then.
    Anything in Judson is news. Does the Mint Festival still happen ever year >?<

SKSnut

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010

Do you know something not in the story?

No, no inside info. I am just tired of every AK type rifle out there portrayed as the "AK-47". I know its too much to ask for the media to get it right, the story attracts more attention if he sounds like a potential "domestic terrorist."
    I meant a $15K real deal AK, which is how it is always portrayed in the ignorant media.

rock and a hard place? He chose to join the army in the middle of a war.

I think your statement sums it up. It all sounded great in the recruiters office, I'm sure. I know I'm making suppositions on his state of mind, but for him to choose to do the things he did, I'm sure he felt that he was stuck. He didn't do himself any favors by filling the hole he dug for himself with :poop: by going AWOL. That's all I meant.:ingo:

those are all the things running thru my mind as well.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I hate to bring up something so old but WAIT
    "Police from North Judson, Starke County, Lake County and the Indiana State Police started looking for him – even using a helicopter with infrared technology in the search."
    When did they get infrared LOL Grew up there on RR2 later to turn into 250W
    Choppers were only used to find dope back then.
    Anything in Judson is news. Does the Mint Festival still happen ever year >?<

Probably still used to find dope. IR is useful for that.

Top Bottom