AZ, UT, FL CWPs -- AZ came yesterday (1month)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • samwathegreat

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    How to get most # of states AZ, UT, FL CWPs -- AZ came yesterday (1month)

I applied for my 3rd CWP from Arizona on November 1. Thats right...I already have a FL CCW, and of course my Indiana LTCH. I was very excited to hear about the new legislation in Wisconsin legalizing CC, but Wisconsin does not accept the FL or IN LTCH.

I did my homework, and decided that Arizona was the way to go (only $60, $43 for renewals). They took a copy of my FL permit as proof of training. NRA Pistol course is also accepted, as well as the Indiana hunting license. Anyways, DPS quoted me 6-8 weeks processing time, but my permit was issued on 12-1, exactly 1 month from the date I mailed it out. I'm pretty impressed with the turnaround time.

For those of your who are curious, it turns out that the BEST combination of permits/licenses that one can get is as follows:

Indiana (of course you need this one)
    Arizona- Adds NE, WI, NM, KS, OH, WV, VA and NV
    Utah- Adds MN, and WA

This is the MOST number of states you can possibly get unless you acquire a non-resident permit from one of the states that only accepts their own permit (like OR or ME)

A combination of the FL and AZ permits gets you almost the same number of states, minus MN.

Also, just to throw this out there: Many of you will benefit from getting the FL or AZ permit rather than the Utah. Here's why: Utah ONLY issues permits to individuals that have had NO convictions related to drugs or alcohol. Some of us were young and stupid once, and as a result have a minor marijuana or alcohol related offense. Utah will not issue to you. AZ, and FL, however, don't have an issue with it as long as a certain amount of time has passed since said offense.

Hope this helps guys. You can confirm the accuracy of what I have stated by checking out usacarry.com

Last edited:

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I applied for my 3rd CWP from Arizona on November 1. Thats right...I already have a FL CCW, and of course my Indiana LTCH. I was very excited to hear about the new legislation in Wisconsin legalizing CC, but Wisconsin does not accept the FL or IN LTCH.

I did my homework, and decided that Arizona was the way to go (only $60, $43 for renewals). They took a copy of my FL permit as proof of training. NRA Pistol course is also accepted, as well as the Indiana hunting license. Anyways, DPS quoted me 6-8 weeks processing time, but my permit was issued on 12-1, exactly 1 month from the date I mailed it out. I'm pretty impressed with the turnaround time.

For those of your who are curious, it turns out that the BEST combination of permits/licenses that one can get is as follows:

Indiana (of course you need this one)
    Arizona- Adds NE, WI, NM, KS, OH, WV, VA and NV
    Utah- Adds MN, and WA

This is the MOST number of states you can possibly get unless you acquire a non-resident permit from one of the states that only accepts their own permit (like OR or ME)

A combination of the FL and AZ permits gets you almost the same number of states, minus MN.

Also, just to throw this out there: Many of you will benefit from getting the FL or AZ permit rather than the Utah. Here's why: Utah ONLY issues permits to individuals that have had NO convictions related to drugs or alcohol. Some of us were young and stupid once, and as a result have a minor marijuana or alcohol related offense. Utah will not issue to you. AZ, and FL, however, don't have an issue with it as long as a certain amount of time has passed since said offense.

Hope this helps guys. You can confirm the accuracy of what I have stated by checking out usacarry.com
    Great to hear about AZ's time line. I sent my stuff in last Friday. I have my Florida but it doesn't cover Nevada nor Wisconsin. My son lives in AZ and the last trip out we went through Las Vegas and I may have thought my FL was good. Boy, could I have screwed myself. Also with Wisconsin recognizing AZ we are good to go on another trip around the lakes, across the UP and back down into Northern Indiana (where all the tax money from us hillbillies gets vacuumed to:D).

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I just got my AZ concealed carry "permit" as they call it today. 5 weeks turn around time is pretty good considering the Christmas and New Years holidays. Now I'm good to go in Nevada. If I can drag Mrs. Ortega out there we can start cleaning up Las Vegas.:D

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Wisconsin CCW
    State of Wisconsin now honors Indiana LTCH's.
    Check here: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/wisconsin.pdf

Be careful of what licenses you DON'T get or are tempted to let lapse. Even though Wisconsin now recognizes Indiana that doesn't mean they can't turn that around. It seems that last year some state took another off its reciprocity list because of some dispute. So even though a lot of states recognize my Florida and AZ non-resident that doesn't mean that one or the other can't change. At first Kansas recognized Florida residents ONLY. Now they have changed to recognize non-residents. What if they change back? Hmmmmmmmmm?

Top Bottom