• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • funeralweb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Earth/East Central I
    Will share some video I have from a ride aboard Aluminum Overcast in 2014. Here's a pic:

2sb6069.jpg

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Lady who was part of the ground crew told me how much it costs to fly the old bird. I don't remember exactly what she said but the word "thousand" was in the answer. I watched a crew member pour 6 gallons of oil into it. He said it uses a gallon per hour/per engine. Straight 60 weight. No wonder they take so long warming up the engines before they give them any throttle.

Radial engines. You dont fill the tank and check the oil like a regular engine; you fill the oil and check the tank. :):

The only time they dont leak is when its empty.

funeralweb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Earth/East Central I
    Gonna take a 5th grader to get video uploaded but here's some stills. The flight cost might seem pricey but there's nothing like riding aboard one of these. Couldn't imagine the hours-long missions at altitudes requiring oxygen and heated flying suits just to survive the trip to and from the AAA and enemy fighter-defended target area.

ayt4rm.jpg

sbk66q.jpg

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    I wish they had tours later in the evening. my son would love to take a look at it but I cannot get off work in time. A couple months ago he was wanting any kind of model kit. He was being a very good boy one day so I decided to take him to hobby lobby and he could choose any snap together model. Out of the monster trucks and super hero stuff he chose the B-17. Once we got it put together we watched a couple of youtube videos about the plane and he was surprisingly interested in the history of the plane, at least for a 6 year old.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    It just flew over the house. No mistaking that sound. They have been doing a north-to-south fly-over of the airport so I knew they would be back shortly. Broke out the binos and watched them when they came back around for the landing but, of course, it was much lower and partially obscured by trees. They were doing a flight around 4:00-4:30 and another around 5:30. Weather may have grounded them yesterday.

Just went over again at 5:00. Must be making up for yesterday's lost flights.

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    https://www.johnweeks.com/b17active/index.html

Someone once said that a B-17 operates on gas, oil, and money. Especially money. A B-17 will easily burn 200 gallons of fuel per hour, plus about 10 gallons of oil per hour. Consumables and wear items cost an estimated $3,000 per flight hour. For each hour a Flying Fortress spends in the air, ten are spent on the ground in maintenance. An engine overhaul can cost $40,000, and FAA required wing-spar inspections and repairs will cost each Flying Fortress in excess of $100,000.

Indycar:v1.1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Not close enuf to the track
    Heard it Thursday reqignized the sound and went out side and saw it fly over 3 times to the East and was able to see it on final into Greenwood twice.

Old lady was amazed I was able to ID a WWII aircraft. I told her it was my dream aircraft, I grew up watching 12 O'clock High!

B17G model with chin gun in the nose! My ex'es Dad flew one in 1944 and I was lucky enuf to hear the stories and see the pictures!

Top Bottom