• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Think about it, you've been driving with the air on or the windows rolled down. You stop shut car off, lock the doors, shut them, oops baby in car. How long is it going to take for that car to heat up to a detrimental temp?

That's the thing... From a 3 minute video, you don't know how long those kids were there BEFORE anybody noticed, nor how much time passed between that point and the point they decided to act.
    The whole "I was just running in for a moment and didn't want to hassle with the kids, so I left them in the vehicle" argument is bull.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I should do an experiment...

We have access to finely calibrated thermometers here at work. I could put one in my fresh-from-running-with-the-AC-on car and see how long it takes for the interior temp to get to 100F...

It's supposed to be 90+ here today, right? (Indy)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog

We have access to finely calibrated thermometers here at work. I could put one in my fresh-from-running-with-the-AC-on car and see how long it takes for the interior temp to get to 100F...

FOX 59 (Indy station) did put a thermometer in a car last week.
    They kept showing the reading and at one point it got up to 140+ degrees in the vehicle. They said that the thermometer only went up to 150F. :n00b:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Oh, I know the final temp can get quite high!

Just wondering how hot it'd get to 100? 110? That's extreme danger zone to a kid (and old folks, those in poor health, those with respiratory issues, etc etc etc).

I'm betting that on a sunny 90 deg day, that the car would go from 72 to 100 in just a few minutes. up to 110 un under 5? Purely speculation... All cars are different.

We have an Altima w/ dark gray seats + black vinyl dashboard, no window tinting. It' heat up quickly!

-J-

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    You have to get involved when you see kids, old people or animals for that matter frying inside a car!!, it's like carrying a pistol I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you

One of our news stations did a test like that one day last week. It went from 80 degrees to 110 degrees in 5 minutes once the car was shut off and the windows rolled up.

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    Here in Oklahoma, it doesn't take hardly any time at all before a vehicle's interior becomes unbearable to most people. We've had 2 months of 105+ degrees, and it easily gets over 110 in blacktopped areas like a mall parking lot. I'd rather bust a window and get someone out than wait for the police any day.

When I lived in Fort Worth, the PD there had standing orders to break the window as soon as they arrived on scene. There was no fiddling with the locks or slimjims or trying to find the owner/parent. Just shatter a window and get the kids out.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Nope, and you shouldn't break a window out either. Broken auto glass causes a condition called silicone fibrosis! Thousands of little glass riddled daggers are inhaled and will stay in the child's lungs for the rest of there life causing ailment such as asthma, bronchitis, and lowered immunity to all types of lung infections. Idiots lock there kids in the car all the time (daily) and accidents happen.

Yeah, because dying is so much better.

Anyway, I call BS. No such term came up in multiple online searches. For that specific phrase exactly or more generic searches related to the dangers of broken auto glass or inhaling broken auto glass.

If your near civilization easily get a cell phone and call 911. They will be there in a matter of minutes (I know it seems like an eternity when your a parent) and have the door unlocked in seconds without tearing up your car.

Do you have children? I'd dismantle my car bolt by bolt if time allowed and it was necessary to save the life of my children. Car be damned.

Think about it, you've been driving with the air on or the windows rolled down. You stop shut car off, lock the doors, shut them, oops baby in car. How long is it going to take for that car to heat up to a detrimental temp?

Which is it, air on or windows rolled down? Because with the windows down, the temp is significantly higher than with the A/C on. And that much closer to a danger point.

But the flaw in your argument is the assumption that people who discover the children are aware of how long the child has been locked in the car? Sure, it might only take the cops/FD 3 mintues to respond. But what if it only takes 10 minutes to kill little Joey and he's been in there 9 when the pedestrian finds him?

Now, If your in the middle of no where and you must break a window, make sure its the farthest one away. Windshields can't be broken, they are laminated safety glass. Also, the stronger windows are slightly curved and excellently sealed, its like squeezing an egg at both ends.

Windshields CAN be broken. But the don't shatter and send their pieces flying like non-laminated glass. And the lamination makes them more difficult to break and requires more time to penetrate completely.

Is there some kinda boogie monster inside the SUV?:dunno:

Yes, it's called heat-related death.

AZ Hunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    A few comments.

One, we dont know the whole story. Maybe the mother/father got out with the keys in the ignition and the car locked. During my recent trip to IN, my wife kids and I all got out of the truck and I left the keys in the ignition (as I always do). We started walking in and I **** you not I heard the honk of my horn. Walk to truck and sure enough it had locked on its on. Being 1800 miles away from your spare key is no worry when you drive a GM (Onstar). Unlikely this is the case here but it could have happened.

Second....that glass is pretty impressive!

H.T.

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Fishers -MSG 2
    I am a firemen in Indy.
    1. If you see a child locked in a car. Break the windows!.
    2. Vehicle glass is treated there's nothing will enter the childs lungs.
    3. The side windows are easy to break. Strike them with in corner.
    They'll shatter. You can use keys, screw driver gerber tool. If the car has
    a radio antena, break it off stand to the side and use the tip to strike the
    corner of the window.
    Children do not tolerate high heat like adults!
    Call 911 while u break glass.
    We have been known to break all the windows. The person who left them in
    there will be arrested,the children will be taken to the hospital.
    If u come across this one way to gage the childtens wellness is to tap the glass,
    watch how they respond. (all while dialing 911)If they turn there heads open there
    eyes smile etc. You know they haven't been in to long.
    If they react slowely like there sleepy or drunk or don't react at all.
    Then you must act fast! A child in this condition is in grave trouble!

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I wonder why everyone was freaking out like the kids were under water or something. Yea they appeared to be locked inside a vehicle. Yes it looked like it might have been hot outside. But jezzzz.:twocents:

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    I wonder why everyone was freaking out like the kids were under water or something. Yea they appeared to be locked inside a vehicle. Yes it looked like it might have been hot outside. But jezzzz.:twocents:
    Seriously? Heat does/can/has killed. PETS AND KIDS! If you don't want to help if you across someone who has done this-then please excuse your beliefs just briefly and ask someone else to help.

Why do you think it is a crime? Because it's safe? Nope.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    It's supposed to be rather warm today. so far, though, not sunny.

I may very well do an experiment on how fast temps rise inside a car...

-J-

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Seriously? Heat does/can/has killed. PETS AND KIDS! If you don't want to help if you across someone who has done this-then please excuse your beliefs just briefly and ask someone else to help.

Why do you think it is a crime? Because it's safe? Nope.

Huh?:n00b: I do about 50 lockouts a year. Many with kids or dogs inside. If a parent or guardian did in fact leave a kid (or dog) alone in a vehicle intentionally it could easily be a crime.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Huh?:n00b: I do about 50 lockouts a year. Many with kids or dogs inside. If a parent or guardian did in fact leave a kid (or dog) alone in a vehicle intentionally it could easily be a crime.
    Maybe I mistook the "jeez" part as breaking a window to save a child as ridiculous. If so, then my mistake.

My opinion only is to get them out of a car that will heat up if it hasn't already. As an unscientific experiment I drove around today (Dark Blue Vehicle), stopped and shut it off with windows up and in the sun-didn't take but 30 seconds before I was starting to sweat. When opening the door the 90^ day felt like A/C. So inside definitely got warmer than ambient temp and quickly.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    My only concern as far as breaking the window or trying to use the lock out kit is that I probably won't have a good idea how long the kids have been in there. I'm going to be pretty quick to break the window out depending on the weather conditions. In my opinion, H.T. gave some great advice, hopefully everybody took notice of it.

Top Bottom