• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    For years and years I've been strictly a wheel-gunner. My aversion to autos was mostly three-fold:

1) Aesthetics - most of the damned things are kinda ugly compared to revolvers...with the ubiquitous Glock being the King of Ugly

2) They almost NEVER fit my hand. I have really small hands with short stubby fingers. My hands are so small I can pretty much NEVER find work gloves (or very few men's gloves of any kind) to fit me. Only single stack autos ever worked well for me until the XDM line.

3) Brass - violence. For some bizarre reason (my height? I'm 5ft 4 inch) most shell shuckers toss that brass back onto my head or shoulders when I shoot 'em!

All these problems are solved quite beautifully with the Springfield XDM line! With the number 1 (smallest) back strap piece in place it fits my hobbit-sized mitts about as well as ANY gun ever has (including my beloved SP101). With the stainless slide and finely sculpted swoopy polymer frame its a really nice looking gun at least in my eyes. And get this - I shoot these guns BETTER than I do revolvers! As Ingo member Titanium_Frost can attest I'm NOT a great shot by any means (I have a hand tremor that sure doesn't help things) but right out of the gate I can shoot the XDM in 9mm and .40 S&W better than I can my SP101. Finally WebHobbit has entered the Modern Age of Handguns. I recently acquired an XDM 9mm in OD Green/Stainless and a .40 XDM in black/stainless. Both of these with the 4.5 inch barrel and full grip frame.

SO anyway I recently sold my 686 (thanks to the IngO Classifieds) and on the way back from the meet I stopped at 'Right to Bear Arms' in Haubstadt. To my amazement they had the XDM compact (9mm Bi-Tone) in stock! I was planning on ordering one from Shooters Jax or Bud's online or possibly from Gary over at Gun's Unlimited here in Evansville. Right to Bear Arms had the baby XDM tagged at $675.00. I got him down to $640.00 cash and I walked out the door with it that Friday afternoon!

I still haven't had time to shoot it but after I break it in and test it with some Federal +p 124 grain HSTs (on order from Kyle's Gun Shop) I'm hoping it will become my new EDC! Here are a couple pics with the second one showing how well it fits my stubby hand.

baby9-02.jpg

baby9-01.jpg

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Sweet! I wish I could have gone shooting with you guys, I really needed to sight in my AK with different ammo too. I can shoot polymers OK but not great and I just don't like the feel of them, but welcome to the modern world of Automatics! Hell I might just get me a revolver before all is said and done.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    Nice piece! I have an XD40sc, but I'm looking at getting an XDM40. I have the opposite problem as you do, I'm 6-3 and have long spindly fingers. The large backstrap is what I would be using. I am very impressed with SA quality. Good luck with it. Let us know how it works out for you.

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    Sweet! I wish I could have gone shooting with you guys, I really needed to sight in my AK with different ammo too. I can shoot polymers OK but not great and I just don't like the feel of them, but welcome to the modern world of Automatics! Hell I might just get me a revolver before all is said and done.

It was MISERABLY HOT Thursday afternoon! I'll be soooo glad when Fall gets here.

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    Nice piece! I have an XD40sc, but I'm looking at getting an XDM40. I have the opposite problem as you do, I'm 6-3 and have long spindly fingers. The large backstrap is what I would be using. I am very impressed with SA quality. Good luck with it. Let us know how it works out for you.

Yeah that number 3 backstrap will probably be what you want. That 3 size back strap is AWESOME. Fantastic design.

timeforchili

Plinker
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    sweet pics! I love the xdm's...how'd you get Frodo to agree to hold it in the photo shoot? :laugh: Just kidding!

Cowboy 44

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    i have a sub compact xd-9 i carry it most of the time, couldnt ask for a better gun. soon after i bought it they came out with the xdm's....

Cowboy 44

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    im gonna have to stop in and see if they have and xdm's i didnt realize it was the much smaller that the sub compact? does it still have the "1911" feel?

Top Bottom