• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Micah

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    www.branham.org
    I was arrested about 7-8 years ago on a fishing for endangered species charge. It was a felony that got dropped to a misdemeanor and the only time I have ever been arrested. I did a search at mycase.com and none of those charges show up. I have a 3 part question...

Can that charge keep me from getting a carry license? I bought a beretta px4 2 weeks ago with no problems.

Why would those charges not show up on my record at that web site?

I did apply for a lifetime license nearly 4 weeks ago. I know it's gonna be a long wait but does anyone know how much longer since I have an arrest record?

@@@ side note... I had a license in Alabama for many years with no incedent. It lasped about 10 years ago because I moved to indiana. I dont know if that will show or not?? But I figured it can't hurt:-)

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    U should pull up your record in Indiana (limited criminal history search) and see if it shows up.

If you purchased a gun, you might be good to go. My felony charge was supposed to be recorded as a misdemeanor, but they neglected to tell ISP and I was a felon for 17 years. I have since fixed it, but it still (now) explains lots of lost job offers.

Micah

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    www.branham.org
    Thanks mike. I am still totally confused on what is and what isn't an eligible person in this state. The wording was also different from what I remember between buying a gun and getting a CCW. I think one asked if ever charged and the other asked if ever convicted. I didn't know if a felony dropped to a misdemeanor would stop me from carrying. Exspecially since it was a non violent charge.

Thanks for the words of incoutagement. I Can say honestly that I'm nervous about it.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Thanks mike. I am still totally confused on what is and what isn't an eligible person in this state. The wording was also different from what I remember between buying a gun and getting a CCW. I think one asked if ever charged and the other asked if ever convicted. I didn't know if a felony dropped to a misdemeanor would stop me from carrying. Exspecially since it was a non violent charge.

Thanks for the words of incoutagement. I Can say honestly that I'm nervous about it.

If you've been CONVICTED of a crime that carries a punishment of MORE THAN 1 yr = no go.

This doesn't include 'violent' stuff or other crap that doesn't pertain to me :):

what part says 'charged' vs 'convicted' ?

ETA: My wife had applied for her LTCH (w/ L1 as opposed to 'inky') on 12/14. She has some 'background stuff' as well (she's a proper person).. She called today and was told that they're still working on all the 12/13 apps and are really backed up. Once they 'start' processing her app, it will be 6-8 wks because she has some background stuff on it. She has purchased (without delay) several firearms last year and passed the NICS check easily. Don't be nervous, just wait patiently :)

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I did apply for a lifetime license nearly 4 weeks ago. I know it's gonna be a long wait but does anyone know how much longer since I have an arrest record?

A non-violent misdemeanor should not prevent you from getting your LTCH. ANY arrest history does automatically send your application through a "further review" process which adds about 8 weeks to the already prolonged wait time even with L1.

Micah

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    www.branham.org
    Mike, I was going by memory on the wording and very well could be wrong.

There was no jail time but there was 1 year of probation.

cook5oh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Too answer your mycase question. Mycase isnt completely reliable. Its based soley on individual counties cooperation and uploading. Most counties dont upload and the ones that do upload arent always consistent. I've seen some cases of my own that werent uploaded correctly or at all.

2ARIGHTSPLZ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    I'm just having a hard time understanding this clearly. You got a FELONY?!?! For FISHING?!?!? What kind of world are we living in?!? What kind of fish?!

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    Just to add data, I received my LTCH in 12 weeks with prior arrest history. Well ahead of many people who applied before me. I don't think an arrest record really delays it 8 weeks.

I'm just having a hard time understanding this clearly. You got a FELONY?!?! For FISHING?!?!? What kind of world are we living in?!? What kind of fish?!

An endangered species. Would you rather it be an infraction and have entire populations of species wiped out?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    Would you rather it be an infraction and have entire populations of species wiped out?

Depends on the species...if we're talking any of the varieties of Gunbannerus Ignoramus...

head-up-ass1.jpg

...I have absolutely NO problem with them being eradicated from the universe! :D

Micah

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    www.branham.org
    If you are an attorney ill happily give you the number to mine. He said it was the most ridiculous case he ever seen. He had it framed and has it in his office.

I was a licensed commercial fisherman fishing spoonbill for caviar. The law states you are not allowed to fish for them in a creek. This works because this type of fish is only found in 40 foot or deeper water and creeks are generally not even close to that. We were fishing in aurora indiana. Since we were on the river at the banks of town we drove up a little creek so I could take a leak (wooded area). DNR was waiting for us at the boat ramp claiming we were fishing in the creek. The case drug out for over a year and never did go to court. I took a plea bargain against my attorneys wishes. I could not afford it anymore.

The reason my attorney was against the plea bargain was.....the state (prosecutor) was basing the case on what is fishing. I was never seen fishing in the creek however simply being on a boat with nets could be called fishing. For example if you are on a boat talking to a buddy and you do not have a fishing rod in the water but your wife calls. She asks, what are you doing. Would you say fishing or sitting on a boat talking to a friend.

Our nets were 300 foot long and 20 foot deep. This means you need a minimum of 20 foot to fish in and that is actually to shallow because the net would still scrape the ground. The creek was 15 foot deep making it impossible for me to fish using the equipment I had with me.

Last edited:

Micah

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    www.branham.org
    Btw... Sorry guys to talk about my last issue. I honestly did not come here to talk about that but was giving as many details as people ask for concerning me getting denied for a license.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Btw... Sorry guys to talk about my last issue. I honestly did not come here to talk about that but was giving as many details as people ask for concerning me getting denied for a license.

Indiana State Police - Limited Criminal History Search

Get a copy of your criminal history and see what's on it.

post up a screenshot after blacking out personal info and we can evaluate it better.

Most misdemeanors in IN carry a sentence of 1 yr or less (this does not count as 'what were YOU sentenced with') A person might have a felony conviction for theft (1.5 yr sentence) but may only BE sentenced to 1 yr. If the PENALTY carries a sentence of 1.5 years or more = no go.

If you were not delayed or denied purchasing a gun recently through NICS, you should be good to go (but maybe NICS doesn't have the info from your legal trouble)

Get a copy of your criminal history and report back :yesway:

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    Indiana State Police - Limited Criminal History Search

Get a copy of your criminal history and see what's on it.

post up a screenshot after blacking out personal info and we can evaluate it better.

Most misdemeanors in IN carry a sentence of 1 yr or less (this does not count as 'what were YOU sentenced with') A person might have a felony conviction for theft (1.5 yr sentence) but may only BE sentenced to 1 yr. If the PENALTY carries a sentence of 1.5 years or more = no go.

If you were not delayed or denied purchasing a gun recently through NICS, you should be good to go (but maybe NICS doesn't have the info from your legal trouble)

Get a copy of your criminal history and report back :yesway:
    Which selection would he choose? Because it appears to be a crime to use the check for anything other than was selected and there isn't a "just wondering" option.

IC 5-2-5-5:
    Any person who uses limited criminal history for any purpose not specified in the request commits a Class A misdemeanor offense.
    I affirm, under penalty of perjury, that the limited criminal history information requested will be used as specified.

I was going to do this myself but I think I would rather not commit a crime in the process of finding out what crimes are on my record.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Which selection would he choose? Because it appears to be a crime to use the check for anything other than was selected and there isn't a "just wondering" option.

I was going to do this myself but I think I would rather not commit a crime in the process of finding out what crimes are on my record.

:laugh: wouldn't that be a kick to the boys, get arrested for trying to find out if you can carry!

Ok, I'll throw my situation in here, when I was 18 I was charged with conversion, I (we) took a plea deal, it's was dropped to a misdemeanor, we had to take a first time offenders class and pay a fine, then it was supposed to be removed from our records. My question is when I went to court to get custody of my daughter, the lady I met with rattled off the charges that were on my ex-girlfriends record, then tells me about this charge on mine that was esponged from my record? Why does it still show up?

Micah

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    www.branham.org
    Lol @ frosty. Never heard kick in the boys

Glad you guys have a sence of humor to keep me chuckling. I am going to be really irritated if I get denied.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom