• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Springer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.6%
    68   1   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Shelbyville
    You might also make the trip to Bass And Bucks. They have something like 200 to 300 bows in stock and carry quite a few brands of bows. If I end up driving out there and you want to ride let me know, we can save some money on fuel.

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    Well even my wife says to get the Assassin if thats the one I want because if I settle for anything else Im not going to be happy. So Im gonna go shoot a few today and as long as I like the way the Assassin shots, it coming home with me! :rockwoot: Thanks for all the help everyone!

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    Well I went with the Assassin! I shot the Brute X also. Liked the feel of the Assassin better. The way it naturally slightly falls forward after the shot. The draw was stiffer but its a dual cam compared to the brutes single cam. Plus the cams on the Assassin are linked and shouldnt need timed and the strings and cables on it were better quality and prestreched. Walked out of there spending WAY more than I thought. Arrows aint cheap! Whew! I am very happy with the purchase and cant wait to pick it up on thursday after they get it setup for me. Oh and I did wind up dealing with Tim. Helleva guy! Gave me his 2 cents but let me make my own decision.

Ryninger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Newburgh
    Well I went with the Assassin! I shot the Brute X also. Liked the feel of the Assassin better. The way it naturally slightly falls forward after the shot. The draw was stiffer but its a dual cam compared to the brutes single cam. Plus the cams on the Assassin are linked and shouldnt need timed and the strings and cables on it were better quality and prestreched. Walked out of there spending WAY more than I thought. Arrows aint cheap! Whew! I am very happy with the purchase and cant wait to pick it up on thursday after they get it setup for me. Oh and I did wind up dealing with Tim. Helleva guy! Gave me his 2 cents but let me make my own decision.

Tim is a good guy! It will still need timing adjustments... Shoot the dickens, and use the "free" tuneup they give ya a few weeks before season. Congrats:rockwoot:

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    Yeah I went there too. There was a $10 difference for the black but the camo at the outdoorsman was $40 cheaper so that wisdom does not hold true. I paid the extra $10 at the Outdoorsman just because 1: its closer, 2: Tim and Jeramiah at the outdoorsman were WAY more helpful than the guys at HCT. One guy was a loudmouth and the other barely said a word.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    I'm like 95 wrangler. I used to be nuts about bow hunting and would shoot for an hour or so a day from April on. Then my shoulder went south and I quit. Now I've got the bug again. I've still got my Bear Black Bear and my Hoyt ProVantage Hunter and just bought a Bear Whitetail II. Where can I get aluminum arrows and feather vanes. I'd also like to try the Montec broadheads.

mr buckman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    I would go to one of these recommended shops to get a feel for them, but then head to Craigslist to see what deals you can find.....or a good hunting forum classifieds

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Barred feathers............not many places carry them anymore.

If they do they're usually in shield cut and not parabolic.

or if parabolic, only in 5"

And probably left wing LOL.

I run 4" RW parabolic Trueflight. Like the wider bars over the thinner Gateways.

FWIW I tried the Montecs, seem to chop more than slice. Took deer with them but switched to G5 Strikers. Wanted to try the Magnums but never poked anything when I had them.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Barred feathers............not many places carry them anymore.

If they do they're usually in shield cut and not parabolic.

or if parabolic, only in 5"

And probably left wing LOL.

I run 4" RW parabolic Trueflight. Like the wider bars over the thinner Gateways.

FWIW I tried the Montecs, seem to chop more than slice. Took deer with them but switched to G5 Strikers. Wanted to try the Magnums but never poked anything when I had them.

4" RW Paras for me. Yellow with a yellow nock. It's easy to track in low light conditions. Tipped with a nice, sharp, Zwickey. :)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I still run triple color :)

Black lower hen, white cock feather and red barred top hen, black shaft with white nock.

Been kinda my sig colors since '87. Well some have the red barred swapped out for purple barred, have run those two color schemes as "mine".

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I still run triple color :)

Black lower hen, white cock feather and red barred top hen, black shaft with white nock.

Been kinda my sig colors since '87. Well some have the red barred swapped out for purple barred, have run those two color schemes as "mine".

It's always nice to have a beautifully matched quiver of arrows, whether they leave the rest or not. :)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I like mine in a Great Northern quiver :)

I'm thinking of putting one on a compound!

picture.php

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    It'll be better when there's blood on it ;)
    I just got it together and started shooting..........wow, I suck.
    But I'll be good to 25 yds in a few weeks, using my old practice methods.
    Amazing how much smoother the bow feels after just a couple days of shooting.
    I have a fairly physical job, but haven't shot since Feb...........bow muscles wimped out on me LOL.

No need to get worried until Oct 15th ;)

Like the GN quiver, a bit flimsy with arrows out, but more solid than it should be when loaded up. light weight, got the Blackwidow stamped version..........for whenever I get enough $ to have another built. Am thinking of another for a custom Oneida build.

Not cheap, think I paid $100 for the quiver. Second season, no problems, looks good works good........might have been dare I say it...........a "bargain"!

Eh, eating pork and chicken after hunting season, at least my bow will look good on the wall. That's the important part :)

Oh yeah, this bow is a money sucking pig. I need a high wrist grip now, and ordered a K tech 3" stabilizer. Not needed, but wanted...........the cost just keeps adding up.

I think recurves are cool and pretty out of some sort of wallet thinning conspiracy!

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    It'll be better when there's blood on it ;)
    I just got it together and started shooting..........wow, I suck.
    But I'll be good to 25 yds in a few weeks, using my old practice methods.
    Amazing how much smoother the bow feels after just a couple days of shooting.
    I have a fairly physical job, but haven't shot since Feb...........bow muscles wimped out on me LOL.

No need to get worried until Oct 15th ;)

I shot split finger for 16 years, this summer I switched to 3 under and within 2 weeks I was shooting incredible groups at 30 yards and it allows me to have a cleaner release allowing a faster arrow.

Top Bottom