• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    IMO it depends on what you actually need the pack for.

Gather up what you feel you need to "get home" from where ever..

Figure what it all weighs. Figure out how much space you need, ie how big of a bag do you really need.

Take into consideration all climates.. Winter, Summer, etc..

Once you have your gear set and weighed then shop for a pack.

Honestly I know some of the higher priced packs are great and some cheap ones won't hold up but my EDC bag which I use as a BOB, GHB, etc is just a cheap old Jansport that I picked up for about $30.

I would also suggest looking at second hand stores, good will, rumage sales, etc for used ones.

Just my opinion..

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    I would look at some of the Lowe-Alpine internal frame packs at Sierratradingpost.com They are well built, non-tactical and will last.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    Depends on where you are getting home from...work, traveling, vacation, etc? Depending your location, distance, time of year, etc. would make a difference on the type of backpack to use in getting back home.

Please expound a bit.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I have a maxpedition vulture II that screams tacticool that I'd love to use as a get home bag but it's a better BOB. For the get home bag, I have an old EMS daypack that is a light green color. Works just as well, is lighter and looks like it probably has schoolbooks in it rather than preps.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I have a Spec-Ops Brand Pack that I will testify to.
    T.H.E. PACK
    I have had this pack since 2004 and it has served me faithfully in three different Combat Tours. The most durable and user friendly 3 day pack that I have used...

kirkorner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Clay City, IN
    I would highly suggest maxpedition's falcon 2. If my memory is correct I gave 115 for it on amazon. 4 compartments and a place for a bladder. Very heavily constructed.

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    Alice Pack!

I bought a large one off fleabay for 35$ shipped two months ago! Then i bought another medium one for 35$ and filled it up also! Guess if SHTF the wife and I both r packing it out!

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    Jason -- If you're looking for a smaller (1500 cubic inches) you can't go wrong with a 'KNOCK OFF' of this Maxpedition Falcon-II Assault Pack Tactical Military Backpack, Enhanced Daypack - MAXPEDITION HARD-USE GEAR Tactical Nylon Gear for Military, Law Enforcement, Tactical Concealed Carry; Tailored to Perform Tactical. While this is the Maxpedition and $130, I found 'knock offs' at the 1500 for $30 or $35. I've purchased 2 (khaki & foliage) and am very pleased with them. They seems fairly well made, and I think they'll do fine as a short-term bag (sitting in the truck, waiting for the emergency). My GHB is only designed for 2-days, they should everything I think I need. BTW, I going to try using one as an EDC bag, and in a couple of months can let you know how they hold-up. Good Luck with the search.... Greg

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I get nervous with "knock off" bags. When I bought my Camelbak at the PX before we deployed several other guys were buying the knock off version that was seemingly the exact same. I think 4 or 5 of the knock off bags went over and none came back. If you're thinking about the bag as a one time only, just to get home and never use it again type of bag why not just buy a used medium alice pack to save money.

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    I think I'm gonna try this one out. It looks nice, it's what I had in mind, and it's CHEAP! Hearing that someone else likes both of theirs and recommends them cinches the deal for me.

The frame design of the alice packs kinda turn me off, that and hearing that different sizes fit people differently.

I like the molle attachment system idea too.

I've got 2 of these. One for the car and one for the truck. Well built and good price. LA Police Gear 3 Day Backpack

Gowest1995

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    I just bought a Kelty frame pack off of EBay for $17 plus shipping, so good bags can be found for cheap.

PwrCruz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Westside Indy
    Have a Maxpedition Monsoon which is my EDC and have added a Camelback 100 oz. bladder. Also have a couple of Camelbaks the BFM and a Mule.
    Just me but all the bags I pick up from now on will have a internal bladder of some sort. I like being able to take a drink without haveing to stop unsling my bag then sling and adjust after I take a drink.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Have a Maxpedition Monsoon which is my EDC and have added a Camelback 100 oz. bladder. Also have a couple of Camelbaks the BFM and a Mule.
    Just me but all the bags I pick up from now on will have a internal bladder of some sort. I like being able to take a drink without haveing to stop unsling my bag then sling and adjust after I take a drink.

+1

Once you've had a camelbak there's no going back.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    Another "+1" for the LA Police Gear Pack...:yesway:

I have this LA Gear back pack, BOB and their Large BOB. They're all really well built and have good zippers (which is where knock off tend to scrimp)...Can't go wrong for the price either.

-Drew

LA Police Gear 3 Day Backpack

I've used a similar LAPG bag for the kids car kits. It holds about enough stuff for stranded on the road emergencies for 3-5 days, depending on how they make do. The bags seem to be doing OK so far. For the price, you can't go wrong.

Also have a Maxpedition Pygmy Falcon-II for my truck bag and it's taken a beating and doing well. A little more money...

Top Bottom