• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • payton

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Greenwod
    ok i guess you can suggest churchs and what to look for and i do apperciate it. guess a lil back story is needed to see why i have big issues with churchs.

as it is i have court on monday to finalize my divorce. which i dont want. i know ive not been the best husband on the face of the earth ive put myself ahead of my wife and my family alot. ive put my job in front of everything else many times. i guess you could call me a
    Workaholic i do tend to work 100 hrs a week but i make damn good money and have tried to give my family there every want and need. nice house new car etc. you see what im saying. anyway one of the biggest problems my wife/soon to be x wife claims is that i dont belive in god. while thats not completely true. i dont belive in the church platforms. i see to much corruption from a bussiness stand point. i know it takes money to run things. and as a small bussiness owner i know you must spend money to make money there fore its not complete the churchs fault but i find fault when churchs require you to give x amount or they tell you how much you must give to be a member. i grew up in a small community and the church i went to was tiny as a kid. i know times have changed but have they changed to the point where everything is put on like a show? i see both sides of the way churchs do things. music concerts shows all attract the attention of the younger and i understand that but i dont understand why churchs feel the need to direct you in all regards. i do belive there is someting bigger out there but what i honestly dont know yet. does that make me a bad person well to some i guess it does. i dont know and this may be rambling since none of you really know me.
    bottom line is im trying my hardest to find a church that i can attend as me and the wife/soon to be x have been talking bout counseling and seeing if things work out which is my goal
    so theres a lil back story into my question about churchs. sorry if it sounds like a idiot rambling..(it probally cause it is)

payton

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    i dont belive in the church platforms. i see to much corruption from a bussiness stand point.

I feel ya. I have long held that religion was a great idea that people went and screwed up.

bottom line is im trying my hardest to find a church that i can attend as me and the wife/soon to be x have been talking bout counseling and seeing if things work out which is my goal

Seems to me that if your divorce is final come Monday, it's already way too late for that... and I'm not sure what finding a church has to do with working things out with your wife. :dunno:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Just keep in mind:

Any church that "requires" people to give of their money is no organization that I wish to be a part of.

But: GOD (The God of the Bible) requires obedience of his people. One of those facets of obedience is giving of your monies.

-J-

IUGradStudent

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    Wow--thanks for the back story.

Sounds like a tough situation. If you haven't done counseling I would definitely recommend that -- you should go through some kind of counseling to try to fix things up rather than get divorced. I agree with shooter that it's pretty late in the game to be talking about counseling if things are getting "finalized" on Monday.

If there's any chance on getting the "finalization" put off a bit so that you and your wife can try counseling to sort things out I would say go for that. I would also point out that even if your wife thinks you're not a Christian she shouldn't leave you. First Corinthians 7:13 says "And a woman who has an unbelieving husband, and he consents to live with her, she must not send her husband away." Obviously you shouldn't say that to her like that, and I'm not sayin' yer not a believer, but just that God really doesn't like divorce and when there's not abuse, abandonment, or infidelity the couple really should do everything possible to hang in there.

A gun board probably isn't the place for heavy counseling, but thank you for filling in the back story and I hope you're able to get some comfort and direction from all the folks here!

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    I think I can feel your pain to a point....

Growing up my mother used to drag my brother and I around to just about every single church south of Terre Haute. I think I honestly knew every pastor of every denomination and style before I was in high school.

Anyways...thats food for another thread. :):

Personally if I were in your shoes... granted I know nothing of where you live or any of that. But I would go out to a small town church. Go out to the country where people hold family values higher than most.

<now don't all you city people/families start getting on me, try and see my point>

A smaller community church is less likely to place monetary expectations on you. And if they are honestly trying to follow the Lords word then they'll more than likely welcome you and your family into the congregation.

Just throwing that out there, go back to the basics. And I think a smaller community church is a good place to try that.

Good luck to you and your family :yesway:

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Like IUGradStudent said, the gun owners board probably shouldn't be your primary reference material. But, I can offer some thoughts. YMMV

The church isn't requiring you to give x dollars, God is. Whenever you see an offering envelope for some purpose, be it a new baptistry, new rec fields, or a trip for 25 people to Podunk Africa, there is nothing REQUIRING you to put money in that envelope. Tithes and Offerings are two entirely separate things.
    A tithe, in this sense, is a cut off the top, the 'first fruits' if quoting scripture, that is given BACK to God, through the church. Notice I said 'back' to God. Also in scripture, we are told that everything belongs to God, including your money. Tithing is the primary income method for most churches. It's used to pay the bills, for employee salaries, of which the pastor is only 1, and for improving the church.
    Offerings, on the other hand, are willing gifts, specifically to the church, above and beyond tithes. Churches use offerings, including putting those silly thermometer signs in the yard, to generate money for special projects, like those mentioned above. This is done so that the church either doesn't have to go into debt, or to make that debt as small as possible.

You talk about churches 'where everything is put on like a show'. This is very much necessary. Society on average is become less and less involved in the church. Church (and God by proxy) is becoming less important. The youth is vital to the survival of a church. Walk into some churches and you'll see the average age is 50+, and maybe 1 in 20 people are under 18. Those churches are dying. Young people aren't going or are going elsewhere. My kids love going to church, and frequently ask us to stay for both services on Sunday. Why? Because Mount Pleasant has worked its ass off to make church new and relevant to the young people in the area. They know that the target audience isn't the 77yr old granny who's been attending and sitting in the same row for 50 years. It's the 16yr old, who may or may not be just beginning their walk with God. That's the reason for the show.

Go, doesn't matter where, bounce around until you find someplace you're comfortable at. No one is going to yank you out of the pew and start screaming "SINNER" if you don't drop a check into the offering plate. Once you've found someplace and become comfortable, then worry about the offering plate. In 2008, my family gave over 10x to the church than we did in 2007, and made less money as a whole. I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that I do not regret that giving at all.

ralphb72

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Greens Fork, IN
    " 'where everything is put on like a show'. This is very much necessary. "

A show in Church necessary??? I do not agree. If I went into a Church expecting some music and reverent prayer and got a show I would walk out.

Payton, check out OLG, I have heard great things about it although their web site does not seem to be working today:
    Our Lady of the Greenwood
    399 S. Meridian Street
    Greenwood, Indiana 46143
    317-881-1300

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    ok i guess you can suggest churchs and what to look for and i do apperciate it. guess a lil back story is needed to see why i have big issues with churchs.

as it is i have court on monday to finalize my divorce. which i dont want. i know ive not been the best husband on the face of the earth ive put myself ahead of my wife and my family alot. ive put my job in front of everything else many times. i guess you could call me a
    Workaholic i do tend to work 100 hrs a week but i make damn good money and have tried to give my family there every want and need. nice house new car etc. you see what im saying. anyway one of the biggest problems my wife/soon to be x wife claims is that i dont belive in god. while thats not completely true. i dont belive in the church platforms. i see to much corruption from a bussiness stand point. i know it takes money to run things. and as a small bussiness owner i know you must spend money to make money there fore its not complete the churchs fault but i find fault when churchs require you to give x amount or they tell you how much you must give to be a member. i grew up in a small community and the church i went to was tiny as a kid. i know times have changed but have they changed to the point where everything is put on like a show? i see both sides of the way churchs do things. music concerts shows all attract the attention of the younger and i understand that but i dont understand why churchs feel the need to direct you in all regards. i do belive there is someting bigger out there but what i honestly dont know yet. does that make me a bad person well to some i guess it does. i dont know and this may be rambling since none of you really know me.
    so theres a lil back story into my question about churchs. sorry if it sounds like a idiot rambling..(it probally cause it is)

payton

My brother is the Pastor of a small church in Greenwood called Outreach Community Church of God. They are affiliated with the Church of God, but are much more "non denominational" in reality. They meet in a small converted farmhouse for now while they build. They do not put on a "show" and my brother is more like a motivational speaker in style, than a fire and brimstone in your face preacher. *probably from his coaching and youth counselor background).This small little church has a food pantry, clothing giveaways, out reach programs, etc. Also, he is a licensed counselor, so may be able to help you out in that area as well.

I don't want to seem like I am advertising for his church, so PM me if you want the address. It's hard to find online since they just moved.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I agree money is required for a church to survive, but HOW you get it can be an issue. For me, I am really impressed when a church is taking an offering and says something like: "If you are a guest here, put away your wallets. An offering is for our people to support the church, you are a guest, and we do not expect that of you"

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    we don't pass plates, hats, bowls, or anything that requires giving money in other people's presence

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Right on!!!

:+1::+1::+1:

Ultimately I agree. A good analogy for church is, well, INGO. What you do with your weapon is ultimately your business, but you get together with other firearm owners to "fellowship", discuss, learn, etc. You have common ground, and just might learn something as well.

That's how I see church. My relationship with God is not contingent on ANY church, but I go to church because I can learn and hang out with like minded people.

Top Bottom