• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheBigLebowski

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    Bloomington
    My wife started shooting with me recently. I decided to set up a little backyard range so we could shoot in the evenings.......she's seems to be having a lot of fun. I've got 5 more smaller steel targets ranging from 4-8 inches I'll hang off the bottom rail. I rolled the hay bale down so we didn't shoot up the tree. You can't really see but the property goes straight down to the bottom then straight back up. We only shoot 22's and 9mm anywhere from 30 to 50 feet.
    d36248ab-4d80-44ec-99af-5b0c259c7d4d.jpg

From the back deck, you could take about a 50 yard shot. You can barely make out the target in the picture but it's clear from the deck.
    bee614de-835b-49de-a893-34a4d5dc01f7.jpg

Just thought I'd share it out!

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I have a similiar set up at our property in Perry County...I just got two plates though...One for .22's and the other for everything else..I have it set up at about 25 yards from our picnic table and our grill...My wife laughs because I will be out there grilling and all of a sudden you will hear a 10/22 get emptied or a couple of shots from one of the .44 magnums......Everyone has a fantasy and mine was always to be able to shoot whenever I want and our little farm enables me to do so.....

Some folks want a yacht, to travel, etc....And spend their whole life trying to get there....I am glad my fantasy just involved a cast iron bath tub set on creekstone, a little 100+ year old farm house and a backyard range...

Congrats on a nice set tup...It's good to be the king!!!!!

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I have a similiar set up at our property in Perry County...I just got two plates though...One for .22's and the other for everything else..I have it set up at about 25 yards from our picnic table and our grill...My wife laughs because I will be out there grilling and all of a sudden you will hear a 10/22 get emptied or a couple of shots from one of the .44 magnums......Everyone has a fantasy and mine was always to be able to shoot whenever I want and our little farm enables me to do so.....

Some folks want a yacht, to travel, etc....And spend their whole life trying to get there....I am glad my fantasy just involved a cast iron bath tub set on creekstone, a little 100+ year old farm house and a backyard range...

Congrats on a nice set tup...It's good to be the king!!!!!

well said... now I just get my wife to have the same dream also
    Inception anyone?

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I'm willing to bet that hay bale is more than enough to stop either one.

Great set up OP. Nothing like shooting off the deck, except maybe taking a leak off of it. :rockwoot:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I'm willing to bet that hay bale is more than enough to stop either one.

Great set up OP. Nothing like shooting off the deck, except maybe taking a leak off of it. :rockwoot:

Sounds like a challenge... I would test this if I had a hay-bale... so who is going to test it for us? The OP?

FWIW, I am also in the camp of "No way that bale of hay is stopping them" it may slow them enough to prevent major injury from stray rounds,but it won't prevent injury to the tree.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    The hay may or may not stop the bullets. The question is what about the bullets that miss? That is not a very big backstop.

TheBigLebowski

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    Bloomington
    Hate to burst your bubble, but I highly doubt that hay bale will stop 9mm OR 22.

Nope....there's about a foot between the hay bale and that beech tree and nary a round of 22, 9 or 40 has went through it. The hay is there to keep the tree from getting chewed up. I've had people shoot them for years and it stops them.......now you don't want this to be the only backstop though......

TheBigLebowski

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    Bloomington
    Sounds like a challenge... I would test this if I had a hay-bale... so who is going to test it for us? The OP?

FWIW, I am also in the camp of "No way that bale of hay is stopping them" it may slow them enough to prevent major injury from stray rounds,but it won't prevent injury to the tree.

Bring some 22's or 9 mm over........for any that goes through, I'll give you a dollar and for anyone that does not go through you give me a quarter.........we'll do this till one if us runs out money or ammo. Then we'll have a beer.

We've shot well over 1000 rounds in it and that tree doesn't have a mark on it........well there is one when my wife got a little frisky on a double tap and shot high. But, again the bale is not designed to be the back stop. The land goes down hill for about another 50 or 75 yards behind the target.......then pretty much straight up.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Looks great.. If you need help swinging that steel ( or maybe just burying lead in the hay) you have my number.:):
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] –[/FONT] Certified Glock armorer

Top Bottom