• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigshep

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    New Albany
    Haven't seen this posted anywhere yet and hope I just didn't miss it. So when you buy a firearm they have to call in and get the background check done to see if you get to walk out with it that day or not. Or if even at all. It takes like 20 mins for the whole process. What's the difference in how or what they do in order to license you to carry? Is it just a way for the state and local governments to get more money or is there an actual difference in the process they take? You would think that if you're allowed to walk out of a gun store with a handgun and ammo for it in such a short amount of time that it shouldn't take nearly as long to get the permit as it does. That is if there's not some major difference in the process anyways. This I'm just curious about.

Bigshep

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    New Albany
    This might need to be moved....actually meant to post this in the carry issues section. Thought I was over there. Oops

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    The difference is the federal system (NICS) is maintained by the federal government, and the LTCH one is state. There have been people who have bought firearms then been denied their LTCH, and the reverse of that as well. As far as turn around goes, they are processing finger prints as well, and I am sure there are a lot more rubber stamps to go through on the LTCH. 10 days isn't bad though, and faster than most states.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My understanding:
    The state actually performs a background check. They search criminal history and such. Takes more than a few minutes, and they only have a few folks that do the work (in addition to their other responsibilities). Now that most things are electronic, it is pretty quick.

NICS is just a database of names, addresses, and SSNs, of people not allowed to buy a firearm. If you are not in the DB, then you are a "YES". If they have a hard time nailing down who you are (like you didn't provide a SSN), then you get a "MAYBE" until they figure it out. If you are in the DB, then, well, you are a "NO"! It takes longer to key in the info than it does to get a return value. They (the FBI) also have hundreds of folks doing the work.

NICS info:
    http://nraila.org/news-issues/fact-sheets/1999/guide-to-the-national-instant-check-sys.aspx

Of course, the whole issue would be avoided if Indiana would adopt "Constitutional Carry" and the Feds got out of the "nanny" business.

.458socomhunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Tipp Co
    I suspect Indiana does a NICS check to issue their LTCH. They can also look into JTAC which streamlines into NICS. NICS is the federal database run by the FBI in which they house the names and identifying information of people who cannot purchase a firearm in addition to other things. Indiana uses NICS and has done so for quite some time. (I believe it used to be if you had a LTCH things were sped up...) But, not anymore.

tgmorris99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Westfield
    Some states do perform a federal check to issue a carry license. I believe that their permit holders can bypass the NICS check.
    This is true in Georgia. The GBI does a full background check and once you are issued a Georgia Weapons Carry License (GWCL) the LGS no longer has to call in the 4473 - so long as you present your GWCL and matching ID when you fill out the 4473.

Tamara

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Broad Ripple, near t
    This is true in Georgia. The GBI does a full background check and once you are issued a Georgia Weapons Carry License (GWCL) the LGS no longer has to call in the 4473 - so long as you present your GWCL and matching ID when you fill out the 4473.

I believe... and I'm going off a rusty memory here, so hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong ...that the other necessary component for using your LTCH/GWCL (ex-GFL)/HCP/XYZ/PDQ to bypass the N-I-C-S M-O-U-S-E is that Georgia and other states where this holds true re-check their licensees every year to see if anybody's fallen off the list. Unless that annual recheck is done, then BATFEIEIO does not consider a valid CCWP to be a substitute for a NICS check at time of purchase.

tgmorris99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Westfield
    I believe... and I'm going off a rusty memory here, so hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong ...that the other necessary component for using your LTCH/GWCL (ex-GFL)/HCP/XYZ/PDQ to bypass the N-I-C-S M-O-U-S-E is that Georgia and other states where this holds true re-check their licensees every year to see if anybody's fallen off the list. Unless that annual recheck is done, then BATFEIEIO does not consider a valid CCWP to be a substitute for a NICS check at time of purchase.
    I don't know about the recheck, but I held a 4-year GWCL and there was no provision for yearly updates. So as long as the ID matched I think there was no way to verify if you were still legal to purchase. True, the state could send you a notice that your license was no longer valid and request/demand you surrender it, but then folks would rush out and purchase one or more last weapon.

Tamara

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Broad Ripple, near t
    I don't know about the recheck, but I held a 4-year GWCL and there was no provision for yearly updates.

The yearly recheck doesn't require your participation or even your knowledge. You wouldn't even know it happened unless you somehow flunked it.

(Former Atlantan myself. Ran a gun shop down there for a while. Good times, good times. Don't miss the traffic a bit. :) )

Top Bottom