Background checks for LTC permit holders?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cure4Life

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2011
    Hello,
    I just received information via the NSSF website that states "Indiana is a shall issue state for concealed carry permit holders. Permit holders are not required to perform a background check when purchasing firearms."

When I started reading the Indiana code, it leads me to believe this is the case: (https://iga.in.gov/legislative/laws/2017/ic/titles/035#35-47-2.5)

Section IC 35-47-2.5-1 states: "Sections 2 through 5 of this chapter do not apply to the following.......Indiana residents licensed to carry handguns under IC 35-47-2-3"
    And then sections 3,4, and 5 describe the NCIS background check process / form 4473.....

This is news to me. Has any else heard of this? I know there were bills in the Indiana house and senate that would supposedly make your carry permit act as your background check but did those pass already? Do dealers really not need to do the 4473 / NCIS process for Indiana LTC permit holders now?

Attached is the PDF I received from the NSSF - look on page 2

Thanks

Attachments

• NSSF_Indiana.pdf
      123.9 KB · Views: 9

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Hello,
    I just received information via the NSSF website that states "Indiana is a shall issue state for concealed carry permit holders. Permit holders are not required to perform a background check when purchasing firearms."

1. I have talked to NSSF and told them that they are issuing that statement on 13 year old information.

2. I have talked to NSSF that Indiana does not have "concealed carry permits".

3. Holders of an Indiana LTCH when purchasing firearms in Indiana are required to undergo a background check unless they are exempted a lot an FFL.

Top Bottom