Backpackers what is your favorite Sleeping Pad?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    I started using a Klymit Static V last year and love it. Pack ability is great. Weighs just over 1 lb and packs down to just slightly larger than your first. Inflates easily with 8-10 breaths and is very comfortable for me as a back sleeper. Only negatives I would give it is, it is kind of slick so if you move around a lot your sleeping bag might slide off and, it's not an insulated pad so R value is fairly low. For 3 season light weight backpacking I think it's hard to beat. Make sure to check the Klymit EBay store since they have refurbished models cheaper.
    Put it in your sleeping bag and you won't we it at night.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I don't have enough experience with multiple brands to have a proper favorite, but I've found the Thermarest Prolite to be good for me.

I only use the 3/4 length and let my feet hang off. It's never bothered me from a comfort perspective (belly sleeper).

Last edited:

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I don't have enough experience with multiple brands to have a proper favorite, but I've found the Thermarest Prolite to be good for me.

I only use the 3/4 length and let my feet hang off. It's never bothered me from a comfort perspective (belly sleeper).

The only time I miss the fourth quarter is if it gets cold and I need some insulation from the ground. Throw a few clothes under your feet to get by.

fjw2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Close to a friend
    Mine is a Thermarest product. Can't remember the model, but it insulated the cold of the ground from me every time. I would buy another of their products without hesitation.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I use a thermarest of some sort. I may only be 22 but my back kills me so i have to have a decent pad and thermarest pads never fail.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Generic closed cell foam on the bottom, generic open cell foam on top, then the sleeping bag...all three from Wal-Mart.

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    I finally found a pad that I consider comfortable.

In the passed I have used generic closed cell foam, Z-Lite, "self-inflating" pads and Neo-Air's. I have not found any of those comfortable and only got "adaquate" sleep as opposed to a good nights sleep. I recently purchased the Nemo Tensor Insulated in regular length wide (25R). While it is a little heavier, it is finally a backpacking pad that I can get a GOOD nights sleep on. What makes it good for me is the way it's designed, the pad supports my body without hitting any pressure points and making arms/legs fall asleep. It also doesn't feel like I'm sleeping on a ballon, which is how I feel on the Neo-Air's even with them deflated somewhat. I typically sleep on my side or stomach and like to spread out a little by placing a knee forward. This wide rectangular pad allows me to do this without feeling like I am going to fall off the pad. I feel the good nights sleep is worth the extra weight I have to carry and I am very weight conscious when it comes to backpacking. My base weight is between 15-17 pounds depending on the trip.

The other negative that some may consider with this pad is that is uses more air to inflate than a Neo-Air, however for me this isn't an issue. I always have a trash compactor bag that has 3 purposes. 1. Keeps my quilt and clothes dry. 2. Used as a ground mat to keep things organized on the forest floor so I don't loose hem. 3. It's the inflate bag for my sleeping pad.

To keep inline with the OP's criteria:
    Priorities (in no particular order)

• Comfort - yes!
    • Packability - slightly taller and slightly more slender than a 1L Nalgene.
    • Low Weight - weighs 20.2 ounces on my food scale. (1.3 lbs.)
    • Warranty - that is actually backed up by manufacturer - Nemo has a lifetime warrenty against manufacturers defects. They are a major competitor to Cascade Designs (Neo-Air manufacturer), but have no experience with Nemo Warrenty and cannot attest if they are as excellent as Cascade Designs in handling warranty claims.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom