• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • elkhunter2018

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2019
    Indianapolis
    I found when I was training and testing gear for my first elk trip that my IWB holster was covered and rubbed from my waist strap. My solution for the trip was a Safariland OWB holster with positive retention threaded onto my pack waist strap. This worked very well with the only exception being that when I dropped my pack to eat, I had to be sure to pocket my gun to keep it out of the snow. I was the only member of our group that could really access my sidearm quickly. The other packs required velcro or buckles or twisting around to reach.
    That all being said, I love the idea of the Hill People Gear Kit Bag from this thread, and I'm going to shop for one of those to try out.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    Stay away from shoulder holsters when carrying a pack, you will rub your under arm raw. Anyone who says otherwise has never put in any serious time on the trails with a pack of decent weight.

When I first started hiking I used the Bianchi Accumold Vanguard. It was designed for law enforcement so they could pull their jacket down and still keep their weapon exposed. The back pack belt fits between the holster itself and the mount attached to your belt. It's not a bad option if you really want something so you can keep your firearm on your hip.

https://picclick.com/BIANCHI-Accumo...d-Duty-Holster-263945649900.html#&gid=1&pid=4

About 4 years ago I switched over to safariland leg drop holster. It catches a little more attention but I'm more comfortable carrying this way.

https://www.safariland.com/products...ter-with-quick-release-leg-harness-19910.html

Skullglide

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 21, 2014
    Otterbein
    Elkhunter2018, what gun are you carrying? I have the Heavy Recon Kit Bag setup for hunting. I also have a V2 Original Kit bag for Hiking setup for a Glock. Also have an original snubby kit bag. They make great products. I have a couple packs, the butt pack and my kit bags.

elkhunter2018

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2019
    Indianapolis
    Elkhunter2018, what gun are you carrying? I have the Heavy Recon Kit Bag setup for hunting. I also have a V2 Original Kit bag for Hiking setup for a Glock. Also have an original snubby kit bag. They make great products. I have a couple packs, the butt pack and my kit bags.

I carried my 9mm shield on that first trip. I did buy the Buffalo Bore hard cast bullets, but I want to bump up to a .357 or .44 next time. My gear budget had maxed out, and I couldn't afford a new gun for that trip. I do have a raging bull in .44 with a 8+ inch barrel, but that's probably over the line of what I should try to find a holster/case for. I'll buy a shorter barreled .357 revolver or else a 10mm or .45 semi-auto before my next trip. What do you carry when hunting, and is that in predator country or for whitetail hunting in Indiana? I just load some good XTP rounds in my shield for hunting in Indiana, and feel pretty good about anything that I might encounter.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Thanks to INGO I tried a Kenai Chest Rig. It is the bee's knees.

I have it for a Glock M43X and it does not interfere with my ruck (5.11, Rush 72 Pack) what-so-ever.

I only ruck around Lafayette, house to office and then a long loop home to stay in shape for duty. However, am thinking of getting a holster for a Bisley Blackhawk or something bigger to carry in woods. Maybe a 1911 or M17.

orangefire

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2019
    Indianapolis
    When I'm hiking I just use a regular backpack for my stuff. Mine is north face and I just place my gun on a belt since I agree that people should expect to see people with guns.

Top Bottom