• ...and so much more!
  • dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    +1 HPG Kit Bags are great for backpacking, kayaking, outdoor use in general. I have a Runner’s and a Heavy Recon, and love them both.

Just curious what you guys do for covering the trigger when in one of these. Do you still use some other type of holster inside he chest rig? I’d love something like this for use when wading/canoeing.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I have a HPG rig I use it on my bicycle. It is comfortable but it takes seemingly forever to get the gun out. I would like to see a modified design using velcro to open it and a retention type holster clipped, velcroed, or snapped to the kit bag. I use a trigger guard holster in mine.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Just curious what you guys do for covering the trigger when in one of these. Do you still use some other type of holster inside he chest rig? I’d love something like this for use when wading/canoeing.

It's in a separate pocket all by itself. I don't worry about covering the trigger.

I've seen people get a little kydex trigger guard that they tie to the inside of the bag, but I don't think it's necessary. I unloaded a revolver, put it in there, and then tried as hard as I could to pull the trigger with the bag closed. I couldn't get it to happen.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I posted on this a couple years ago. I took my paddle holster and flipped it around and tucked it in between the hip belt and stabilizer strap on my pack so it is butt-forward which made it easy to draw while wearing the pack. Worked really well for my G20 in the backcountry in Glacier and Tetons. Normally I carry my G36 on a pouch holster on my shoulder strap more for social work but in Griz country I wanted punch. The cool part is I could cover the whole assembly with my bandanna when I wanted to be discrete.

Skullglide

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 21, 2014
    Otterbein
    AmericanBob, I have read great reviews about the hill people gear bags. I have not handled one yet, but will probably order one soon. The heavy recon kit bag.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I use a Fricke Zaccheus(Zack) trigger cover or an RCS Vanguard.

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Well, I ended up with a Kenai. The Hill People bag really does interest me. I like the idea of having some extra storage, but I didnt want to have to fight zippers if I needed my pistol.

squidvt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Southport, IN
    Well, I ended up with a Kenai. The Hill People bag really does interest me. I like the idea of having some extra storage, but I didnt want to have to fight zippers if I needed my pistol.

I have been looking at that. I would sorry that a fall might cause the gun to slip loose, I would be interested in an honest review of the holster. I like my drop leg for hiking but this may be a good alternative.

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I have been looking at that. I would sorry that a fall might cause the gun to slip loose, I would be interested in an honest review of the holster. I like my drop leg for hiking but this may be a good alternative.

I've only had it for a couple of days, and I haven't fallen down a mountain yet, but I think it would take a heck of a jolt to get it out. It holds onto the gun really well.

Top Bottom