• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dimitrivich

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2017
    Unknown
    Greetings. I am looking for some nearby places to do some backpacking. Due to having a young family, I can only go solo on one night trips. I was looking into places like Adena Trace, but they only allow camping at a drive-in campground. It seems like many of the trails here in Indiana are like this. It's hard to find true backcountry areas to backpack. Most popular trails seem to have designated camping areas. Is this all I'm going to be able to find in Indiana?

So, rather than pouring through more and more trail maps, I thought I'd see if any of you have a suggestion.

Thanks for your input.

-I am a seasoned backpacker
    -10+miles a day on rugged terrain is not out of the question
    -Don't mind out and back
    -I'd like for it to be within a few hours of Indy

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Charles Deam wilderness...you can camp off trail. Not technical by any means, but nice dirt therapy. I have a trip to Colorado Rpcking in June if you're interested.

Dimitrivich

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2017
    Unknown
    Hoosier Nat'l Forest is your huckleberry.

-Nate

I have actually done a handful of trips in HNF last year. Sadly, every time I went out, there was a crazy amount of people on the trails. Otherwise, I was very pleased. I guess these resources are so rare here, There are only so many places people can escape to.

Dimitrivich

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2017
    Unknown
    Absolutely. The Hoosier National Forest is awesome.

Go south of indy on 37 untill it gets hilly, then keep going. Near Bloomington, take 46 east to 446 to the Deam Wilderness.

I have hiked and camped many times on the Penninsula trail and really enjoy it.

Have you you ever had issues finding parking there? I have had my eyes on the Peninsula trail two times but when I got there, the parking lot was so full, cars we going down the side of the road for hundreds of feet. Both times, I decided to just explore a different trail.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Buy a little at a time when money allows. You really don't need much to go backpacking. Food, water, clothing, shelter, and something to carry it in. Everything else is optional.

This is something I've been wondering for a while. Just been debating the cost of startup/gear.

Dimitrivich

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2017
    Unknown
    This is something I've been wondering for a while. Just been debating the cost of startup/gear.

Well, if you have any specific questions or would like to hit the trails, let me know. I am always willing to share some knowledge. I usually have some extra gear. So if there is something that you don't have the $$ to spend on, I probably have something you can borrow or atleast share on the same trip.

Dimitrivich

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2017
    Unknown
    Well, thank you for your time anyone. It would seem that all of my research lines up with everything that you guys are saying. I suppose that I was hoping for a sweet honey hole that was relatively unknown. Oh well. Looks like I'm just going to have to adjust my expectations.

I wish I could go back in time and truly appreciate how many trails were so close to me. Totally took that for granted...

Dimitrivich

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2017
    Unknown
    Going out to Buena Vista, CO for two days at the KOA to acclimate, then 5 days on the Texas Creek Trail, then back to the KOA for two days R&R.

I dont think I'd be able to successfully swing that one by the wife.
    I am definitely envious of you. Hope you have a great trip! Let us know how it goes.

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    I dont think I'd be able to successfully swing that one by the wife.
    I am definitely envious of you. Hope you have a great trip! Let us know how it goes.

This will be my third year going. It's not an expensive trip, the worst part is the drive there and back. We always have seats open if you can $350-400 and the time off!

cavskillz

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Seems that I may have over researched the last time I wanted to get started. This makes more sense to get the basics and improve/add where I see fit.

Buy a little at a time when money allows. You really don't need much to go backpacking. Food, water, clothing, shelter, and something to carry it in. Everything else is optional.

Top Bottom