• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeckle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Greenwood
    I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question but getting this wrong would prove a very expensive mistake. For temporary wiring of my backup generator I am making my own 220 male to male cable to connect the generator to my main panel via the dryer outlet. All I need is about 6 feet to make this run. I bought 6 feet of three conductor 10 gauge wire and two 30 amp rated male 220 plugs. The plugs each have black, green and white connections and the wire has red, black, white and a common ground. How should I wire this? Eventually I plan to wire in a manual transfer switch but in case the need arises to use the generator before I get that done I want to make sure I am covered. Thanks in advance.

hickuleas

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    deep in the woods
    Sounds like you bought 10/3 with ground wire and your plugs only are for 10/2 w ground. I would use the red and black as hots but put blk elect tape on end of red wire to show it is a hot wire your green is the ground. This method works but if you don't open the main you will feed from two places causing a very bad situation also if your generator is running and you close main breaker you can electrocute a lineman working on lines. This methon isn't code but i know several people who go this route just make sure you use caution.

jbhummer2

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    north central IN
    This method isn't really recommended but be really sure your main is off at all times when you have this hooked up. Lowe's sells a manual box pretty cheap and it isn't to bad to wire up.

Jeckle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Greenwood
    Thanks guys. It sounds like my "temporary" fix is an ill advised one. I think the transfer switch from Lowe's needs to be the route I go. Otherwise the backup supply could end up causing me to lose the very critical systems I'm attempting to restore. I can only imagine how completely intolerant my computer network system would be to any sort of misguided and incorrect attempt made by me to wire it. I can see this method perhaps being useful for someone who knows a whole lot more about it than I do but the transfer switch takes my lack of understanding safely out of the equation. Thanks again for your help on this!

bass pro

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    west side guy
    Be very carefull with your thoght process. You need to change your drier to a 4 wire cord and recp , buy 10/3 romex, 2 4 wire male plugs. You need a neutral to run 120 volt loads. PM me if you need help

Jeckle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Greenwood
    Be very carefull with your thoght process. You need to change your drier to a 4 wire cord and recp , buy 10/3 romex, 2 4 wire male plugs. You need a neutral to run 120 volt loads. PM me if you need help

Bass Pro, I will PM you here shortly. Apparently I need 15 posts to do so, so I'll have to reply to a couple more threads before I can do that.

mmaddox

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    You need to avoid any male connectors that might be energized. While it's one thing to have to make up an emergency connection, it would much safer and easier (especially for someone not familiar with your set-up) if you used the mandated double throw switch. Also consider the need for a gen-set to be grounded.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question but getting this wrong would prove a very expensive mistake. For temporary wiring of my backup generator I am making my own 220 male to male cable to connect the generator to my main panel via the dryer outlet. All I need is about 6 feet to make this run. I bought 6 feet of three conductor 10 gauge wire and two 30 amp rated male 220 plugs. The plugs each have black, green and white connections and the wire has red, black, white and a common ground. How should I wire this? Eventually I plan to wire in a manual transfer switch but in case the need arises to use the generator before I get that done I want to make sure I am covered. Thanks in advance.

I did the same thing in ice storm of .... can't remember the year. Used the generator for 3 days.
    Generators usally have 4 prong/220 plugs. did you check it?

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I have the extra disconnect box and I'm looking for someone competent to wire it in correctly when the weather clears :yesway: Please PM me if interested - Thanks

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Make sure your cable and plugs will carry the capacity of the generator. I've hooked up quite a few of these. always use a transfer switch or a utility lineman could get electrocuted. Make sure you hook it up to the appropriate breaker or breakers. In wet cold weather, it's easy to cause a fire or electrocution. If your not sure. Please tell me the generator wattage and voltage. I will tell you what you need. I do have a masters in electrical and heating and cooling

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    What you are trying to do is possible, but you will, as others have said, need to have a 4 wire dryer receptacle with a neutral connection back to your breaker panel for your 120V circuits to work. The black and red wires will be 'hot', the white is neutral and the green or bare wire, ground. Where is your dryer receptacle located?. A six foot run to your generator sounds like you are putting it indoors. Don't do that. You don't want a gas engine generator running inside your house for obvious reasons. I had a 60 amp RV style outdoor receptacle installed near my breaker panel when my house was built for just this purpose. To use it, I can just turn off my main panel breaker to disconnect my house from from the utility company and close the 60 amp breaker to connect to the generator, and back feed my panel.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    As mentioned above, be sure to switch off your main breaker if you are connecting your generator in this fashion. Unless you can see your neighbors though or a streetlight, you won't know when commercial service is restored unless you have a separate meter elsewhere.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Chance of killing a lineman is not worth it.

I rewired my furnace from a wall switch to a plug. Unplug furnace, and plug it in to an extension cord going to the generator. I run the sump, furnace, refrig, tv and few lights this way. Totally isolated from the power grid. Served me fine during the ice storm.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    Chance of killing a lineman is not worth it.

I rewired my furnace from a wall switch to a plug. Unplug furnace, and plug it in to an extension cord going to the generator. I run the sump, furnace, refrig, tv and few lights this way. Totally isolated from the power grid. Served me fine during the ice storm.

Actually, that is what I do with my generator as well. An extension cord is already coiled up next to the sump pump and another next to the furnace. I just plug them in and run them upstairs. The generator is in the garage so I pull it out by the door, connect it to ground and run two cords into the house where I have two fused multi-outlets. Did it for years and has always worked fine.

Jeckle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Greenwood
    Make sure your cable and plugs will carry the capacity of the generator. I've hooked up quite a few of these. always use a transfer switch or a utility lineman could get electrocuted. Make sure you hook it up to the appropriate breaker or breakers. In wet cold weather, it's easy to cause a fire or electrocution. If your not sure. Please tell me the generator wattage and voltage. I will tell you what you need. I do have a masters in electrical and heating and cooling

The generator produces 8750 peak and 7000 running watts. The cable I plan to use is 6 gauge and the plug is rated for 50 amps.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Last edited:

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Get a transfer switch and do it right. They're easily wired in yourself. I like these:

Gentran Corporation: Generator Transfer switches for home & business

But there are many alternatives out there.

This is the one that I have :yesway:

Gentran Corporation: Generator Transfer switches for home & business

3028-NoFI_full.jpg

EncoreBasement1209web.jpg

HK Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    These are are up to code and pretty slick. I like the fact that they allow you to pick through all of you circuits deciding on what you want to run vs being stuck with 8 (or so) dedicated transfer switch circuits.

Generator InterLock Kit

The male to male (dead man cord) is a REAL bad idea as is back feeding the house without a transfer switch. Do it right or don't do it!

Jeckle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Greenwood
    Quick update on my generator wiring question. I ended up using a dryer plug on one end and wiring a four prong 220 volt plug to the other end. 6 feet of six gauge was perfect as the dryer vent is on an outside wall with a concrete pad right outside. I tested it, heeding everyone's warnings to make sure the main was turned off. I did my research to make sure I bought a genny that produces very clean power so I'm ok to run my computer network and the other essentials such as my sump pump, furnace, both freezers and pretty much all the lights and such I need. Long term I did order a manual transfer switch with a 20 foot 6 gauge extension cable to run outside my garage. Thanks INGO members, it's great to have such experience and expertise so accessible. Especially for a novice like me!

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    I won't go into the "how is it your qualified" bs but let's say that I am no gun smith so I don't work on my guns, I take them to a gun smith.

I have spent many years playing with wires and I would state that any person with some common sense can accomplish most simple wiring issues one would find in a home.

Some very important issues have already been discussed and great information provided.

That being said let me make one comment, if your "temporary" power has an issue and burns your house down, more then likely your home owners insurance will not cover any repairs or replacement if there is not proof that a qualified, bonded and insured electrician performed the modifications to your homes power system.

One point that hasn't been made is that most dryer drop wire is only usually rated for the breaker which typically is no more then 30 Amps, that can not handle 7000 watts of generator power and would be the weak link in the system and if you have ever seen an electrical fire in a home it isn't something that I would recommend. If you are using a 6 gauge wire for your temporary cord shouldn't the wire going from the dryer plug to your breaker box also be 6 Gauge? I bet it isn't bigger then 10 gauge... If your lucky it might be 8.. Just saying..

Transfer switches don't cost that much compared to burning your home down. And if you stop and think if your in an emergency where your on backup power it's not a good time to find your system can not handle sustained use without risking fire.

If you want professional results get a professional to do the work. Or at least get one to look over your system, and over the phone, email, etc isn't what I mean, they need to come to your house and look it over.

Also, one personal experience which I have seen first hand, growing up in rural america we always had generators, one time (not at band camp) a neighbor back fed his home from his barn which had it's own meter to the power company and he forgot to open it's main feed. When the power company came to fix the issue in the area they saw he had lights on (it was night time in the winter) and thankfully investigated before doing any repairs to the power grid. When they checked and found he was back feeding they went nutz! The power company supervisor showed up with a chain saw and cut the pole down in front of the guys house after disconnecting the wires and told him that rather then the fine and legal bill he would just have to pay $3,500 for them to put a new pole in and hook him back up. Lets just say he ran on his generator for a couple of weeks...

Just a quick search found this, might help.. Basic Residential Electrical Wiring Circuits Rough In and Codes Guide

Good luck..

Last edited:
    Top Bottom