• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phred

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Columbus
    I will be attending the Gunsite Pistol 150 at Lebanon next weekend. I will be using my 9mm XDM. Should I bring a back up pistol? My XDM has never failed me and I have about 600 rounds through it. I have a 5" SA 9mm 1911, but no holster or mag pouches.

Scott

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    It's always a good idea to bring a backup pistol. Things break. You don't want your whole day wasted if you have something go south on you.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    It's always a good idea to bring a backup pistol. Things break. You don't want your whole day wasted if you have something go south on you.

This. I bring redundant setups to just about everything. Second rifle. Second pistol. Different brand of ammo. Lots of magazines.

I had an ammo-related issue at a class once that had me tap-rack-banging the crap out of my pistol the entire class. I tried second pistol and new mags. I wish I would've brought another type of ammo, as that would've solved my issue. At least I got some reps in on my malf clearances. :D

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Evan definitely has the whack-rack-back down. Was a frustrating situation, however. Take all the spares you have the resources to bring.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I will be attending the Gunsite Pistol 150 at Lebanon next weekend. I will be using my 9mm XDM. Should I bring a back up pistol? My XDM has never failed me and I have about 600 rounds through it. I have a 5" SA 9mm 1911, but no holster or mag pouches.

Scott

Anything mechanical can fail and at the worst possible time. Bring whatever back-up resources you have available. You could get an Uncle Mike's Kydex holster and mag carrier at a variety of places in central Indiana. You could get a Millenium holster and mag carrier from Blade-Tech fairly quickly as well.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    But, whatever you do, DON'T carry a BUG day-to-day along with your primary carry gun, because a magical, protective aura surrounds you while carrying under your LTCH preventing any possible malfunction of your primary carry gun. People will just think you're a paranoid lunatic, and the aforementioned magic will protect you anyway.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    600 rounds? That's what a day or weekend of shooting?

Two is one, one is none, and three is even better.:D

Guns only break in class, never in gun rag articles.

Find the guns you like, buy multiple copies of that one. Have a deep bench, with guns and holsters.:)

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Kirk and the others are right, bring it. I always built two identical rifles for each classification. I took my "A" rifle to the Nationals or regionals with the "B" rifle in the trunk also. I never needed it, but too much time and money was already spent to take a chance of going home without completing the match.

sentinelrepublic

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Noblesville
    i have a reliable semi automatic rifle that has never failed and yet, I still have a drop leg holster with a 9mm packed inside. Bring your back up even if you have an old relible bad ass!

Lady Magnum

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2010
    Rochester
    Backup guns are always a great idea for classes. In training anything can go wrong and it is a shame to invest time and money for a class that you may have to borrow someone elses gun if yours stops functioning. Bring your backup, rig, extra mags and ammo. Don't forget your cleaning kit and misc. tools you may need in your range bag.
    Learn lots and keep um in the middle.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TravGreen2703!!
    Top Bottom