Bacon, It's Not Just For Breakfast Anymore. Post Your Favorites...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    [video=youtube;8xQ5wdilf4Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xQ5wdilf4Y[/video]
    tenor.gif

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I go to John's Butcher Shop in Nappanee or Martin's in Waukarusa (Amish). They are both a bit of a drive so I'll get an entire slab of uncut Apple Wood Smoked and bring it home. I slice it up 1/4" thin and package most of it for the freezer where it awaits our attention. Tonight the family has requested BLTs...

There's no way the bacon I buy comes from a plant like is in that video (which was probably made by PETA of some vegan group).

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    We have bacon a couple days a week and do ours in the air fryer and it works out pretty good, the excess grease drips to the lower pan so it's not as greasy.

I find baking at 350 on a foil lined baking sheet works best. We then dry it with paper towels to remove grease. Closest to cast iron skillet you can get without an hour of work...

Last edited:

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I find baking at 350 on a foil lined baking sheet works best. We then dry it with paper towels to remove grease. Closest to cast iron skillet you can get without an hour of work...

My method is similar, I put it on 350 in 'airfry' mode and set a timer between 7-9 minutes depending on thickness and take them out and pat with paper towels.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

My method is similar, I put it on 350 in 'airfry' mode and set a timer between 7-9 minutes depending on thickness and take them out and pat with paper towels.

Usually I just cook mine in a skillet (for breakfast). If I'm cooking a bunch (for BLTs) I cook it on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper at 375.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Usually I just cook mine in a skillet (for breakfast). If I'm cooking a bunch (for BLTs) I cook it on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper at 375.

We rarely eat the pound at one time. Cook the whole pound one day then nuke a few slices per day. I have kept it in the fridge two weeks or more. Also handy to put a slice on salad...

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Baked up some 1/2" thick slices for BLTs last night. 40min @ 375 then 10min @425. Bacon goodness all around, man the house smelled great.

They looked like steaks...only bacon!

paintball_addiction

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    180   0   0
    Sep 9, 2009
    SW of Indy
    Have any of you tried Nueske's bacon? I have had the Wrights and it is not even close. Today we had the house bacon from Fresh Thyme market and it was not even close, but just 2/3 the price of Nueske's bacon. The Nueske's is expensive but I eat less because it is satisfying. I usually am happy with 3-4 pieces vs. 5-6 of cheaper stuff...

The FDA only requires 1/2 an hour of actual smoke to call it "smoked". Nueske's smokes a lot longer than that.

Hard to believe no one has tried the bacons I love...

Where do you find Nueske's? I'm not familiar with the brand.

Top Bottom